Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Betsy DeVos: Looking out for the little guy
https://www.yahoo.com/news/billionaire-betsy-devos-wants-scrap-172400836.html

Quote:Signed into law in 2007 by George W Bush as part of the College Cost Reduction and Access Act, the program offers those whose jobs benefit society – government and non-profit employees – the chance to have their student loans forgiven after 10 years of on-time, income-based payments. The amount of money this would cost the government would presumably not exceed what it would have cost to simply pay these workers more.

I guess Betsy thinks they should be out selling Amway crap to pay their student loans instead of public service.
(05-20-2017, 02:10 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: https://www.yahoo.com/news/billionaire-betsy-devos-wants-scrap-172400836.html

I guess Betsy thinks they should be out selling Amway crap to pay their student loans instead of public service.

You forgot this part, Oncemore:

According to budget documents obtained by the Washington Post, the Trump administration plans to end the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program, which more than 400,000 people are counting on as part of their financial future.

In an effort to make taxpayers foot the bill for their depraved lives of leisure, more than 400,000 aspiring teachers, social workers, public defenders, and others took the government up on its offer. It might not be the only reason they chose these lines of work, but it certainly factored into the decisions of many. The first loans were – and as of now, still are – set to be wiped away in October , a date the program’s first participants have no doubt been counting down to for nearly a decade.

Unfortunately for these poor saps, two rich kids who have never taken out a student loan in their lives and only entered “public service” after years of fortune-building in the private sector are now in charge of the federal education system. And they don’t care if they attract people to the public and non-profit sectors. They’re not even convinced these sectors should exist. It’s also possible DeVos’s own experiences in government have taught her public service is something you pay for the privilege of doing, not the other way around.

How many Trumpsters will be affected by loss of this program, I wonder?  I am guessing not a large portion. Hopefully when Pence becomes president he will extend the pain to Trumpland with further cuts and legislation. Then won't all be about the media and the Obama deep state.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Two people with no background in education have complained about the rigorous Common Core standards, claiming it was a federal mandate because there was funding tied to adopting them.

They are now going to use the same strategy to push vouchers on to states.

So much for actually being concerned with "local control".

In Special Education, there have been concerns. The Trumpcare bill's deep cuts to medicaid hurt our kids and funding for them.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Lots of jobs benefit society. Doctors are pretty important. Nurses. I'm not sure why these get selected to not have to pay part of their loans back.

I have no idea what this means "The amount of money this would cost the government would presumably not exceed what it would have cost to simply pay these workers more." Are these all federal employees being underpaid?

But at least the column wasn't biased.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(05-22-2017, 11:18 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Lots of jobs benefit society.  Doctors are pretty important.  Nurses.   I'm not sure why these get selected to not have to pay part of their loans back.  

I have no idea what this means "The amount of money this would cost the government would presumably not exceed what it would have cost to simply pay these workers more."  Are these all federal employees being underpaid?  

But at least the column wasn't biased.

Doctors and nurses can get the same relief depending on where they choose to work.

But at least your response wasn't biased.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-22-2017, 11:21 AM)GMDino Wrote: Doctors and nurses can get the same relief depending on where they choose to work.

But at least your response wasn't biased.

So they only benefit society if they work at certain places?  And their forgiveness is offset because the government could just randomly pay them more?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(05-22-2017, 11:31 AM)michaelsean Wrote:  
So they only benefit society if they work at certain places?  And their forgiveness is offset because the government could just randomly pay them more?

If they are willing to work in poorer areas...or areas that need the help more they are rewarded.

They are willing to earn less income to have some debt relieved on the other end.
The public service loan forgiveness thing has had its critics from the get go. I could take it or leave it, to be quite honest. The preliminary budget that was put out there also got rid of the Perkins loan program once and for all (which I am all sorts of in favor of doing, for purely selfish reasons, it is an administrative headache), and the subsidized loan program. Can't tell how I feel about the subsidized loan program. I'd be more on board with cutting it if there were other cost control measures being implemented. But, of course, there aren't, because that is not how we like to do business in a GOP run government.

The voucher program, though, its bollocks and will do more harm to our education system in the long run.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
If they want to end the program they should start with people getting loans now.

It is ridiculous for these people to have contracted for these benefits and then just have the government disolve the contract.
(05-22-2017, 01:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If they want to end the program they should start with people getting loans now.

It is ridiculous for these people to have contracted for these benefits and then just have the government disolve the contract.

I can't imagine they would kick out those already enrolled or whatever it is you do.  OK well I can imagine it, but that seems like a giant lawsuit waiting to happen.

I couldn't use the loan forgiveness program because my school had some ultra rich areas districted into it in the last few years. 25% of my students get free or reduced lunch, but enough live in McMansions to balance it out.

(05-22-2017, 01:44 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I couldn't use the loan forgiveness program because my school had some ultra rich areas districted into it in the last few years. 25% of my students get free or reduced lunch, but enough live in McMansions to balance it out.

I guess educating upper middle class kids is not considered a benefit to society.

(05-22-2017, 11:54 AM)GMDino Wrote: If they are willing to work in poorer areas...or areas that need the help more they are rewarded.

They are willing to earn less income to have some debt relieved on the other end.

i still don't get the "it will not exceed the amount if they just paid them more."  The federal government isn't paying most of them, and what is the "more" based on?

(05-22-2017, 01:56 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I guess educating upper middle class kids is not considered a benefit to society.

I guess you don't get the difference in pay and attention to lower class students.

Thank you for not being an educator.
(05-22-2017, 02:13 PM)GMDino Wrote: I guess you don't get the difference in pay and attention to lower class students.

Thank you for not being an educator.

So you are in fact saying people who teach upper middle class students are not a benefit to society.  

(05-22-2017, 02:17 PM)michaelsean Wrote: So you are in fact saying people who teach upper middle class students are not a benefit to society.  

I said nothing of the sort.

(Did Larry take over your account?)
(05-22-2017, 01:56 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I guess educating upper middle class kids is not considered a benefit to society.

Nah, they're basically on cruise control.

I'm joking but I'm not. 

(05-22-2017, 02:30 PM)GMDino Wrote: I said nothing of the sort.

(Did Larry take over your account?)

Then what didn't I understand about jobs that benefit society?

(05-22-2017, 02:32 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Then what didn't I understand about jobs that benefit society?

I'm sure quite a lot based on the line of questioning.
I teach in the 3rd richest county in the country. I also grew up there, but in one of the lower middle class pockets scattered throughout the county. It's actually my old high school. Our county has this city called Columbia that was built by Edward Norton's grandfather. The idea was a city of various "villages", big neighborhoods with mixed income housing (apartments, townhomes, and single family), with walkable paths and shopping centers in each neighborhood. It pushed for diversity in the 60's. The county has followed this model, so most of the county has economically diverse schools.

So I don't get the loan forgiveness, but I get better pay and benefits than teaching in the city! So it trades off.