Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biden Admin/117th Congress Gun Control
(03-26-2021, 09:51 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: This isn't a congressional or administration thing, but I wanted to bring it up: https://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2021/03/24/12-17808.pdf

Tl;dr: Hawaii was issuing zero permits to carry a firearm for self-defense. Citizen sued saying that Hawaii's refusal to issue the permits was an infringement of their 2A rights. The 9th Circuit issued this ruling which states that the 2A does not guarantee the right to carry a firearm outside the home for self-defense.

This doesn't change much of anything for right now, but this will probably end up being one of the next big gun control cases taken to SCOTUS.

Is this something that has been in court before?  Obviously I know lots of people who carry and I never heard that particular charge.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 09:56 AM)GMDino Wrote: Is this something that has been in court before?  Obviously I know lots of people who carry and I never heard that particular charge.

Specifically, Heller, which is the case that confirmed the individual right to own arms for self-defense stated that it was intended for "hearth and home." It avoided answering the question of the right to carry in public. Laws restricting the right to be armed in public date back to the earliest days of our republic and there is legal disputes on the topic, but nothing has been definitive in all this time.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 10:14 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Specifically, Heller, which is the case that confirmed the individual right to own arms for self-defense stated that it was intended for "hearth and home." It avoided answering the question of the right to carry in public. Laws restricting the right to be armed in public date back to the earliest days of our republic and there is legal disputes on the topic, but nothing has been definitive in all this time.

This is why getting Barrett on the SCOTUS was so important.  Lower courts have been ignoring large chunks of the Heller decision since the ruling was made.  The "common use" provision alone should be enough to eliminate bans on certain firearms platforms, bans on standard capacity magazines and especially CA's egregiously unconstitutional hand gun roster.  I think the current justices are waiting for the right case to become available so they can 5-4 nuke all these unconstitutional  gun restrictions all at once.  I have no faith in Roberts growing a spine on this, or any, issue.
Reply/Quote
Here's an actually nuanced and open take on the gun control/violence issue from The Guardian. While I certainly don't agree with every point made it's exceedingly rare to see any left wing publication even acknowledge most of this.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/mar/25/us-gun-violence-reporters-shootings
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 12:43 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Here's an actually nuanced and open take on the gun control/violence issue from The Guardian.  While I certainly don't agree with every point made it's exceedingly rare to see any left wing publication even acknowledge most of this.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/mar/25/us-gun-violence-reporters-shootings

Thanks for sharing!
Reply/Quote