Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Biden Being Racist AGAIN
(02-17-2021, 06:02 PM)GMDino Wrote: Mellow

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47310c0pgz8lbe1p3pj9...=giphy.gif]
With you being the same age as I am, I expected you to get on board here. The next 26 years will go quick. I'm really hoping Elon will be able to transfer our consciousness.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 06:57 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: With you being the same age as I am, I expected you to get on board here. The next 26 years will go quick. I'm really hoping Elon will be able to transfer our consciousness.

Hopefully my consciousness can be transferred directly into a horse's patoot.  The incongruency of this life is killing me.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 06:22 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Is this a joke?

What is wrong with using the terms "blacks" and "hispanics"? 

I'm willing to listen to see if there is a reasonable response but regardless of that, I sure hope you find the term "whites" equally as racist.

(02-17-2021, 06:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't agree with Wes very often, but this is just ridiculous.

How is it possible for the exact same word to be racist when used as a noun, but not when used as an adjective?

As I already pointed out, when used as a noun it is seen as dehumanizing. It is boiling a person down to nothing but color. When you say "black community" or "black people," it doesn't strip away that personhood.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 07:06 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: As I already pointed out, when used as a noun it is seen as dehumanizing. It is boiling a person down to nothing but color. When you say "black community" or "black people," it doesn't strip away that personhood.

This makes zero sense.  It can't be "de-humanizing" when everyone knows we are talking about humans.  It is like claiming the "Black Lives Matter" might be about black dogs and cats.  

If the term "blacks" is offensive then you have to say "black people's lives" or "black people's communities" instead of "black lives " or "black communities".
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 07:06 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: As I already pointed out, when used as a noun it is seen as dehumanizing. It is boiling a person down to nothing but color. When you say "black community" or "black people," it doesn't strip away that personhood.

So does this apply to the word "whites" as well?

I literally just read an article about an hour ago about the percantages of different races getting the vaccine.  The title was "Whites 4 times as Likely...)

Had I linked that would you have taken exception with the use of a noun to describe white people?  Be honest.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 07:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This makes zero sense.  It can't be "de-humanizing" when everyone knows we are talking about humans.  It is like claiming the "Black Lives Matter" might be about black dogs and cats.  

If the term "blacks" is offensive then you have to say "black people's lives" or "black people's communities" instead of "black lives " or "black communities".

I am merely providing you with the information as it was presented to me. I understand that you are defensive about this as you regularly use the term, but it makes sense to a lot of people.

(02-17-2021, 07:26 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: So does this apply to the word "whites" as well?

I literally just read an article about an hour ago about the percantages of different races getting the vaccine.  The title was "Whites 4 times as Likely...)

Had I linked that would you have taken exception with the use of a noun to describe white people?  Be honest.

I have a problem with using "whites" as well. I never use the term for that reason. Now, the problem is that the AP and Bloomberg style guides both allow for the use of both "blacks" and "whites" in this fashion. It's not the only problematic thing about these style guides (Team Oxford Comma for life!), but that is why it is still seen in articles even though is has become passé.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 07:37 PM)Belsnickel Wrote:  it makes sense to a lot of people.

Storming the Capitol to "Stop the Steal" also made sense to a lot of people.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 07:37 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I am merely providing you with the information as it was presented to me. I understand that you are defensive about this as you regularly use the term, but it makes sense to a lot of people.

I have a problem with using "whites" as well. I never use the term for that reason. Now, the problem is that the AP and Bloomberg style guides both allow for the use of both "blacks" and "whites" in this fashion. It's not the only problematic thing about these style guides (Team Oxford Comma for life!), but that is why it is still seen in articles even though is has become passé.

IMHO, any percieved problem(s) associated with the word are what often can follow it (Blacks are...) rather than the word itself.

Saying "black people" instead of "blacks" will not prevent certain people from spewing out offensive thoughts right after it.

To each their own, but I think this is a slippery slope.  If you really want to change the way a language is spoken the you have to set specific and consistent rules before it's widely adopted. 

If you can't say hispanics, or blacks, or whites, then you're going to need attatch every pluralized description there is as also unacceptable.  thatg means no asians but "asian people", that means no russians but "russian people", that means no brazilians but "brazilian people", and on and on and on.

All of this without adressing the real problem.  Don't say stupid and insensitive shit after using any of these words, whether they're a noun or an adjective.  That's what we need to focus on.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 07:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Storming the Capitol to "Stop the Steal" also made sense to a lot of people.

So reducing people down to nothing but a color being seen as dehumanizing is on the same logical level as people beholden to conspiracy theories. Gotcha.

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 06:57 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: With you being the same age as I am, I expected you to get on board here. The next 26 years will go quick. I'm really hoping Elon will be able to transfer our consciousness.

I was joking about being a "Dino" and I'm not as old as Biden!  Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 04:41 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: The entire exchange isn't on there, it's just a description of the exchange and they left out a lot.

In response to both of you:

Blacks and Hispanics don't know how to use the internet?  They don't know how to Google Walmart's website or just take a shot in the dark and type in Walmart.com?  If that fails, they don't know how to Google "where can I locally get vaccinated?"?  

There's low vaccination numbers in the black and hispanic community, but why is that?  I don't think that blacks and hispanics that work on the front line would have much trouble getting vaccinated as it would probably be either provided by their work or made mandatory and be able to get an appointment for it.  

It's not available to everyone just yet, so what groups that are eligible among the black and hispanic communities are having troubles registering?

They key is he is saying not everyone in the black and hispanic communities know how to do it. There is a difference between saying "Not everyone in the black or hispanic community know how to use the internet" vs "The black and hispanic communities don't know how to use the internet".

One is saying that some people don't know in those particular groups, the other is saying no one in those groups know how to do it. One would be seen as racist and the other wouldn't. I think it was a pointless addition to his statement, and I'm fine with someone arguing that. There are people in all communities that don't know how to use the internet. 
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 05:47 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Hispanic and black are not racist terms.

Nice try.

Probably better off using Latino rather than Hispanic.  I'm lost on what to use in lieu of Blacks, as most Black folk that I know personally, prefer Black to African American or Person of Color.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 08:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Probably better off using Latino rather than Hispanic.  I'm lost on what to use in lieu of Blacks, as most Black folk that I know personally, prefer Black to African American or Person of Color.

Hispanic just refers to Spanish-speaking cultures whereas Latino is for those from Latin America. Both are fine when used appropriately. Black is also fine, just the preference these days is to not use it as a noun as in "the Blacks." Instead, saying "Black people" would be seen as more socially acceptable.

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 06:41 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Do you feel the same way about the Caucasian community?

Do you use Caucasians as a noun instead of whites?

I’d say “white people” or the “white community”. I don’t say “whites”. I don’t use “Caucasian” because it’s outdated.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 08:36 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Hispanic just refers to Spanish-speaking cultures whereas Latino is for those from Latin America. Both are fine when used appropriately. Black is also fine, just the preference these days is to not use it as a noun as in "the Blacks." Instead, saying "Black people" would be seen as more socially acceptable.

I guess it's likely because I don't speak in those sort of terms, i,e, the Blacks, the Whites, the Jews, etc.  I usually say White people, Black people, Jewish people, etc.  So yes, context of speaking the terms means a lot.  However, when people don't speak or write proper English, it's tough to discern what they actually mean, and since it's now viewed as "punching down" to correct people on their language usage it makes it even tougher.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
What exactly is the point of these Biden hate threads? How many times must one man express his hatred for a President?
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
I find the way this thread turned to be much more fascinating than it started.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2021, 12:20 AM)Au165 Wrote: I find the way this thread turned to be much more fascinating than it started.

Yes... Watching members of one race hash out what is offensive to members of another race is great.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2021, 12:13 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: What exactly is the point of these Biden hate threads?  How many times must one man express his hatred for a President?

It was the same with Trump as with Obama as with (on the Mother Ship) Bush.

There's always going to be people completely opposed to X (with X being a political party, a gender, a race, a career, etc).

I will add that so far, though, we're a month into Biden's administration. He's done nothing except sign lots of executive orders, the bulk of which said that either A- he vowed to uphold the law as it stands or B- he was undoing previous executive orders that he either didn't agree with or weren't actionable. He's talked about some other things (wanting to raise the minimum wage, expand COVID relief, gun control, etc), but he hasn't actually done much of anything. I'm only bringing that up to say: it's going to be a long four years if we look at them through the same rose colored microscope of the last four weeks.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 04:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Biden is a DINO.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR52wgB_4ypaFy1fWIv9sG...A&usqp=CAU]
Reply/Quote