Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biden/Harris Just Lost Re-election
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/report-biden-administration-expected-to-push-for-menthol-cigarette-ban/ar-BB1g9mpF?ocid=uxbndlbing

Can't imagine this will be a popular move with a ton of support. Weird priority to have early in Presidency. I guess I never understood just letting folks do it to themselves.

Can only begin to imagine the type of blowback that would happen if this was tried by a Rep President.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Why would this lose them re-election?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
The carve out when other flavors were banned never made sense other than lobbying to ensure the tobacco industry didn’t lose the minority segment of their business.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 08:15 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/report-biden-administration-expected-to-push-for-menthol-cigarette-ban/ar-BB1g9mpF?ocid=uxbndlbing

Can't imagine this will be a popular move with a ton of support. Weird priority to have early in Presidency. I guess I never understood just letting folks do it to themselves.

Can only begin to imagine the type of blowback that would happen if this was tried by a Rep President.

He's good.  Repub's already had all the methanol smokers.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
What? You mean you want to take Newports away from Black folk?? Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I was just about to start smoking KOOLs. Do they still make KOOLs?
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 08:15 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/report-biden-administration-expected-to-push-for-menthol-cigarette-ban/ar-BB1g9mpF?ocid=uxbndlbing

Blowback?? Lol.. more like shock and awe at a republican president that actually cares about the safety and well-being of the American public.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 08:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I was just about to start smoking KOOLs. Do they still make KOOLs?

They do... But.... All menthols are Newports.

Except for maybe Virginia Slim menthols. I don't think they make those anymore.

I'm not sure Biden has a 2nd term in him anyway. It's best to shove as much of his radical Marxist/ Leninist/ Maoist agenda down our throats over the next few years.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 09:37 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: Blowback?? Lol.. more like shock and awe at a republican president that actually cares about the safety and well-being of the American public.

How about we ban alcohol then?  After all, alcohol is really bad for you and contributes to a lot of health problems.  Why not put a governor on every vehicle that won't allow it to exceed 70 MPH?  After all, speeding is the number one cause of accidents.  Even better, combine the two issues and put a breathalizer lock in every vehicle so it won't start unless a sober person blows into it.  Let's eliminate sugar completely, it contributes to obesity.  Even better, let's outlaw being obese, it's a huge contributor to significant health issues.  I don't know about you, but I grew up and don't need parents to govern my actions any longer, and I damn sure don't need the government to take their place.

(04-28-2021, 09:38 PM)jason Wrote: They do... But.... All menthols are Newports.

Except for maybe Virginia Slim menthols. I don't think they make those anymore.

There are quite a few more menthol brands.  Marlboro makes menthols.  I never smoked unless I was drunk, and haven't smoked for several years now, but when I did I almost always smoked menthols.

Quote:I'm not sure Biden has a 2nd term in him anyway. It's best to shove as much of his radical Marxist/ Leninist/ Maoist agenda down our throats over the next few years.

I've already stated I think he bows out around year three to set up Harris to take over.  This is a crazy overreach and I don't think it will go over well.  I guess we'll see what happens.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 10:49 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: How about we ban alcohol then?  After all, alcohol is really bad for you and contributes to a lot of health problems.  Why not put a governor on every vehicle that won't allow it to exceed 70 MPH?  After all, speeding is the number one cause of accidents.  Even better, combine the two issues and put a breathalizer lock in every vehicle so it won't start unless a sober person blows into it.  Let's eliminate sugar completely, it contributes to obesity.  Even better, let's outlaw being obese, it's a huge contributor to significant health issues.  I don't know about you, but I grew up and don't need parents to govern my actions any longer, and I damn sure don't need the government to take their place.

There are quite a few more menthol brands.  Marlboro makes menthols.  I never smoked unless I was drunk, and haven't smoked for several years now, but when I did I almost always smoked menthols.

I've already stated I think he bows out around year three to set up Harris to take over.  This is a crazy overreach and I don't think it will go over well.  I guess we'll see what happens.

I know... That's just a lil joke that I have anytime I bum a menthol from someone. "Lemme get one of those Newports.". It usually gets the same response you had... "It's a Camel menthol.".... And they do hit the spot with a glass of bourbon.

I think Biden finishes his term, but has zero intent on running again. I'm definitely not sure it's a good move for the Democrats if there's a hand-off to Harris. I think she's an awful candidate for 2024. I think these 2 are truly a one and done thing.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 08:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I was just about to start smoking KOOLs. Do they still make KOOLs?

Mmmm Kools.

My god man. First they ban the health serum that was Four Loko and now this.? How in the world am I supposed to prepare to be a judge in the fast food fried chicken sandwich wars?

Edit: sike I’m moving to Oregon anyways to try the heroin/crack/meth/acid combo that helps you to get off tobacco
Reply/Quote
I spend a lot of time pushing to bone Becky Lynch, doesn't mean I get my way.

It's a bad look, but that's all it is.
Reply/Quote
Kind of OT but I have a question that everyone seems to be ignoring.

Why are black people so much more attracted to menthol cigarettes than white people? I don't think the disparity was created by marketing and advertising. I just think the marketing and advertising to target minorities is because they were already favored menthol brands.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 08:12 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Kind of OT but I have a question that everyone seems to be ignoring.

Why are black people so much more attracted to menthol cigarettes than white people?  I don't think the disparity was created by marketing and advertising.  I just think the marketing and advertising to target minorities is because they were already favored menthol brands.

It's actually a topic that has had quite a few research papers done on it. I know in college we looked at some of them that focused around the marketing practices and there definitely was a piling on in the 1950's and 1960's once it was established that menthol cigarettes were the preferred cigarette of the African American community. Even things like Kool brand was part of it as it intertwined itself with the "Cool Jazz" movement and helped reinforce menthol's place in the culture. After that, you can point to things like almost 3x more advertisements for menthol cigarettes being in African American targeted magazines than other magazines that had cigarette advertisements. That kind of behavior carried on for decades, and we know a lot of this from internal documents that came from the tobacco industry lawsuits we have seen over the years.

As to the very start though, I am not sure anyone will ever really know how that train started rolling. There was a paper published a few years ago that did link Menthol preference to a specific gene only found in African Americans but the gene is only found in about 10% of the African American population so it doesn't explain the whole thing but it is an interesting thing to note. 
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 08:12 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Kind of OT but I have a question that everyone seems to be ignoring.

Why are black people so much more attracted to menthol cigarettes than white people? I don't think the disparity was created by marketing and advertising. I just think the marketing and advertising to target minorities is because they were already favored menthol brands.

It really does all boil down to the marketing, to be honest. Menthol cigarettes were created in the 1920s, and they really took off with the rise of Kool. Kool's name and advertising was based off of not only the cooling sensation of menthol, but also the association with the term cool that was becoming something different due to the jazz scene. The jazz scene was predominantly black, and so the marketing connection between Kool cigarettes and being cool was going to hit that community, more. Since then, all of the big menthol brands have targeted their marketing towards the black community.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
I am well aware of the marketing to target black people with menthol cigarettes. But they just cranked up the marketing because black people already favored menthol cigarettes.

BTW on a side note, when I was in law school '86-'89. The biggest issue regarding litigation in the country at that time were the mass tort claims aimed at the tobacco industry. They were just starting to see some success so it was a big topic of discussion in many classes.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 08:48 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I am well aware of the marketing to target black people with menthol cigarettes. But they just cranked up the marketing because black people already favored menthol cigarettes.

BTW on a side note, when I was in law school '86-'89. The biggest issue regarding litigation in the country at that time were the mass tort claims aimed at the tobacco industry. They were just starting to see some success so it was a big topic of discussion in many classes.

The marketing towards the black community began with the introduction of menthol cigarettes. There was no time for the black community to already prefer them.

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 08:49 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: The marketing towards the black community began with the introduction of menthol cigarettes. There was no time for the black community to already prefer them.

I don't know about that. The very first advertisement for Menthols didn't have a black person on them, and Kools didn't come out until a decade later. The rise of Menthol didn't occur until the 1950's so there was a lot of ramp-up until mass adoption by the African American community.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 08:54 AM)Au165 Wrote: I don't know about that. The very first advertisement for Menthols didn't have a black person on them, and Kools didn't come out until a decade later. The rise of Menthol didn't occur until the 1950's so there was a lot of ramp-up until mass adoption by the African American community.

And how could cigarette companies know that menthol would be popular with black people?

It would have been much cheaper and easier to just make a cigarette with black paper to market to the black community if the demand could just be created by marketing.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 08:48 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I am well aware of the marketing to target black people with menthol cigarettes.  But they just cranked up the marketing because black people already favored menthol cigarettes.

BTW on a side note, when I was in law school '86-'89.  The biggest issue regarding litigation in the country at that time were the mass tort claims aimed at the tobacco industry.  They were just starting to see some success so it was a big topic of discussion in many classes.

As I mentioned, I think the possible genetic link they found could explain some early adoption. I think the other part could have simply been early distribution and availability in more predominantly African communities. Even something as silly as regional celebrities or "influencers" of the day could have been smoking them and drive demand. It's not something people know in terms of the true jumping-off point, but if the question is why today then it is 100% relentless targeted marketing. 
Reply/Quote