Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Biden Transition Thread
I enjoy the speculation over the new administration and actions they will take leading up to inauguration. Hoping this can be a place to discuss that without derailment. Who do you see joining the team? What issues are getting tackled first? When will we see access granted?

Biden launched his transition efforts this week by discussing action on the coronavirus. Obviously this will be tough to do if Trump does not concede and open up import resources that have been allocated (money, support, access, etc) for the transition.

With Esper's firing today, I am worried that Trump is positioning himself to get rid of any one who may cave and provide assistance to the president-elect's team.

Does anyone see the Trump camp admitting defeat in November, or are we waiting until December for the transition to get access to the executive departments?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 05:20 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Does anyone see the Trump camp admitting defeat in November, or are we waiting until December for the transition to get access to the executive departments?

I personally think Trump will admit defeat but only after he has no other legal recourses left to him, so probably December. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 05:28 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I personally think Trump will admit defeat but only after he has no other legal recourses left to him, so probably December. 

I don't think Trump is going to barricade himself in the white house or anything, but he has no obligation to admit that Joe Biden defeated him fair and square.  I just can't imagine Trump doing a 180 and changing his MO at this point. Even in a world where Nixon lost in 1960 and left with dignity only to return with a landslide victory in 1972 Trump will not follow suit.

Just my take.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 05:28 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I personally think Trump will admit defeat but only after he has no other legal recourses left to him, so probably December. 

(11-09-2020, 05:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't think Trump is going to barricade himself in the white house or anything, but he has no obligation to admit that Joe Biden defeated him fair and square.  I just can't imagine Trump doing a 180 and changing his MO at this point.  Even in a world where Nixon lost in 1960 and left with dignity only to return with a landslide victory in 1972 Trump will not follow suit.

Just my take.

I think that makes sense. Once he says he tried to fight it but was "cheated", he'll leave being able to say he was the real winner but it's all rigged.

Of course, December is quite late for a lot of the things we need to see happen. The executive departments and agencies were gutted in the last 4 years, so there'll be a lot of holes to fill and messes to clean up. Gonna need to jump in ASAP with covid. 

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 05:20 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I enjoy the speculation over the new administration and actions they will take leading up to inauguration. Hoping this can be a place to discuss that without derailment. Who do you see joining the team? What issues are getting tackled first? When will we see access granted?

Biden launched his transition efforts this week by discussing action on the coronavirus. Obviously this will be tough to do if Trump does not concede and open up import resources that have been allocated (money, support, access, etc) for the transition.

With Esper's firing today, I am worried that Trump is positioning himself to get rid of any one who may cave and provide assistance to the president-elect's team.

Does anyone see the Trump camp admitting defeat in November, or are we waiting until December for the transition to get access to the executive departments?

I don't think Trump will be helpful at all.  I believe he thinks looking tough and fighting the whole way "looks better" for his brand than acting like an adult.

I also think that Biden has been there before.  He can rely on his experience and people he knows to make the transition easier.
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 05:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't think Trump is going to barricade himself in the white house or anything, but he has no obligation to admit that Joe Biden defeated him fair and square.  I just can't imagine Trump doing a 180 and changing his MO at this point.  Even in a world where Nixon lost in 1960 and left with dignity only to return with a landslide victory in 1972 Trump will not follow suit.

Just my take.

Allow me to clarify.  I think Trump will admit defeat but I never said he would admit that he was defeated fair and square. I firmly expect him to be like "OK, Joe won, but only because he cheated" type of "admitting defeat". 
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 05:40 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Allow me to clarify.  I think Trump will admit defeat but I never said he would admit that he was defeated fair and square. I firmly expect him to be like "OK, Joe won, but only because he cheated" type of "admitting defeat". 

I guess it's semantics, but isn't he admitting defeat right now by that measure?  He's not opening all these lawsuits because he was declared president.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 05:39 PM)GMDino Wrote: I don't think Trump will be helpful at all.  I believe he thinks looking tough and fighting the whole way "looks better" for his brand than acting like an adult.

I also think that Biden has been there before.  He can rely on his experience and people he knows to make the transition easier.

He will know how it is run, but the issue will be getting face to face meetings to pick up where they stopped AND getting the funds released that are set aside to pay for the transition. 

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 05:49 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: He will know how it is run, but the issue will be getting face to face meetings to pick up where they stopped AND getting the funds released that are set aside to pay for the transition. 

Yeah I read they are being held up.  If I didn't know better I'd guess Trump spent it already and all Biden would get is an IOU.

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e475etx3clm6yhgqy9gpg...=giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
What's the legal mechanism for releasing the funds? It can't be, "Trump concedes".
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 06:54 PM)michaelsean Wrote: What's the legal mechanism for releasing the funds?  It can't be, "Trump concedes".

The General Services Administration decides. As a federal agency, they're headed by a Trump political appointee. 

Normally it happens hours within a winner being declared, but they're citing the 2000 election, even though this isn't a contested election like 2000 was. 

Reply/Quote

You're optimistic.

Until his last breath Trump will claim the HATERMONGERING LIBERALS WORKED WITH RUSSIA (+AND WORSE) TO STEAL THIS ELECTION FROM A GUY WHO PULLED HIMSELF UP FROM LITERALLY NOTHING!!!! LOSERS!!!!!

To the OP: Did Trump ever put in place the transition team required by law? I've Googled but haven't anything (probably because Goggle is controlled by lamestream media!!!!).

Sarcasm aside, I'm not sure Biden would keep any of the "best people" Trump put into place, the ones who brought you a plague, reduced access to education, increased government spending, etc. 
Reply/Quote
Biden camp looking at legal avenues if the GSA continues to refuse to recognize the election results

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 10:02 PM)Benton Wrote: I'm not sure Biden would keep any of the "best people" Trump put into place, the ones who brought you a plague, 

Yep. Trump's administration is responsible for bringing COVID to America. Or are you saying they're responsible for COVID in the first place? The fact that you're an admin on here scares me. I'm just going to start calling you BenTrump.  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2020, 12:49 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Yep. Trump's administration is responsible for bringing COVID to America. Or are you saying they're responsible for COVID in the first place? The fact that you're an admin on here scares me. I'm just going to start calling you BenTrump.  ThumbsUp

Eh, not any worse than a moderator that spreads conspiracy theories. Anyway, the Trump administration does hold some responsibility for COVID coming to the US as they ignored warnings from our own people in China before the outbreak was a thing. Instead of heeding their warnings, they did the opposite of the recommendations that could have quite possibly prevented the outbreak from occurring in the first place.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2020, 12:54 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Eh, not any worse than a moderator that spreads conspiracy theories. Anyway, the Trump administration does hold some responsibility for COVID coming to the US as they ignored warnings from our own people in China before the outbreak was a thing. Instead of heeding their warnings, they did the opposite of the recommendations that could have quite possibly prevented the outbreak from occurring in the first place.

Trump had a chance to build his appeal outside of his established base, but instead he chose to politicize it and make it all about him and now we have a bunch of cases, a bunch of deaths, and a new president elect.  He didn't protect the populace and he didn't build his popularity.  Just seems like botch job all around on his part.

But maybe I'm too hard on the guy.  He just never seemed too interested in appealing to anyone outside of his loyal base.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2020, 12:54 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Eh, not any worse than a moderator that spreads conspiracy theories. Anyway, the Trump administration does hold some responsibility for COVID coming to the US as they ignored warnings from our own people in China before the outbreak was a thing. Instead of heeding their warnings, they did the opposite of the recommendations that could have quite possibly prevented the outbreak from occurring in the first place.

I thought COVID in America came from Europe?

EDIT: regardless, Trump didn't BRING COVID here.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2020, 01:08 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I thought COVID in America came from Europe?

EDIT: regardless, Trump didn't BRING COVID here.

So, I'll have to see if I can find the article, again, but months ago there was an article that only got some passing attention for some reason. It discussed how we used to have some infectious disease folks in China and at one point they sent back a report indicating that there was a lab in Wuhan that was in over its head with their work on a particular disease. They discussed concerns about it jumping to the human population and that we should send in resources to help them secure it. The response from the administration was to pull out our people and they actually fired the individual that was embedded in China's health administration whose job it was to act as an early warning to a potential disease outbreak and coordinate efforts between China and the U.S.

There was a whole timeline in the article with links to the news items laying out what happened.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2020, 01:21 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So, I'll have to see if I can find the article, again, but months ago there was an article that only got some passing attention for some reason. It discussed how we used to have some infectious disease folks in China and at one point they sent back a report indicating that there was a lab in Wuhan that was in over its head with their work on a particular disease. They discussed concerns about it jumping to the human population and that we should send in resources to help them secure it. The response from the administration was to pull out our people and they actually fired the individual that was embedded in China's health administration whose job it was to act as an early warning to a potential disease outbreak and coordinate efforts between China and the U.S.

There was a whole timeline in the article with links to the news items laying out what happened.

That all got rolled into the "Why was Obama sending money for a lab in Wuhan unless it was to create a virus to cause Trump to lose the election" hysteria.

Mainly because facts and logic are swept aside by too many people.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2020, 12:49 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Yep. Trump's administration is responsible for bringing COVID to America. Or are you saying they're responsible for COVID in the first place? The fact that you're an admin on here scares me. I'm just going to start calling you BenTrump.  ThumbsUp
Not entirely, but definitely partially.

If we had had people with knowledge of how these things work (instead of real estate speculators) they could have said we should've offered as much support to china as possible while coming up with a unified plan here to track and reduce infections.

We did the opposite.
Reply/Quote