Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Biden Transition Thread
(11-09-2020, 06:54 PM)michaelsean Wrote: What's the legal mechanism for releasing the funds? It can't be, "Trump concedes".

It’s an appointee in the General Services Administration has to sign paperwork acknowledging Biden’s victory. Then he gets funds and the same intel briefings as the President. Problem is, she was appointed by Trump, so she’s refusing to sign it.
Reply/Quote
https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/10/politics/transition-teams-biden/index.html

Biden released the names of 500 people who will be working on the transition team, suggesting that until the GSA gives the green light, they’ll be working with think tanks, unions, and NGO’s to prepare.

Biden criticized Trump’s denial as an “embarrassment” as Mike Pompeo tried to joke about the administration preparing for a smooth transition to Trump’s second term.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 10:02 PM)Benton Wrote: You're optimistic.

Until his last breath Trump will claim the HATERMONGERING LIBERALS WORKED WITH RUSSIA (+AND WORSE) TO STEAL THIS ELECTION FROM A GUY WHO PULLED HIMSELF UP FROM LITERALLY NOTHING!!!! LOSERS!!!!!

To the OP: Did Trump ever put in place the transition team required by law? I've Googled but haven't anything (probably because Goggle is controlled by lamestream media!!!!).

Sarcasm aside, I'm not sure Biden would keep any of the "best people" Trump put into place, the ones who brought you a plague, reduced access to education, increased government spending, etc. 

Not to worry, B. The transition to Trump's second term is going smoothly.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/10/pompeo-smooth-transition-second-trump-administration-435754
https://www.vox.com/2020/11/10/21558957/mike-pompeo-2020-election-trump-administration
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2020, 01:04 PM)Dill Wrote: Not to worry, B. The transition to Trump's second term is going smoothly.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/10/pompeo-smooth-transition-second-trump-administration-435754
https://www.vox.com/2020/11/10/21558957/mike-pompeo-2020-election-trump-administration

If I may put on my hyperbole hat, if Trump gets the 2020 election should people even expect to get an election in 2024?
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2020, 01:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If I may put on my hyperbole hat, if Trump gets the 2020 election should people even expect to get an election in 2024?

Not a real one, no.
If that were to happen, you'd be on your way to a one-party system. You could have an election, but unwelcome results would not get certified. That's how it goes in a totalitarian system; and if the election were turned this year without good reason and if that were to go through, that's exactly what would get erected. Because why wouldn't it.

And from having read multiple voices over the years, I'd bet that way more than 50% of Trump supporters would be absolutely in favor of that, including forbidding any party but the american unity party. It's one of the saddest things really, and one of the main reasons why the problem doesn't go away with Trump. If he can't do it, the next person will try, and the next person might be a tad smarter about it.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2020, 01:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If I may put on my hyperbole hat, if Trump gets the 2020 election should people even expect to get an election in 2024?

That's not hyperbolic. If things were handed to Trump in 2020, it would be devastating to our democracy. This is not me saying if he had won it would be devastating, just that when we know Biden won if Trump were to remain in power it essentially rips up everything.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2020, 02:05 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: That's not hyperbolic. If things were handed to Trump in 2020, it would be devastating to our democracy. This is not me saying if he had won it would be devastating, just that when we know Biden won if Trump were to remain in power it essentially rips up everything.

People called this in 2016. If he lost he'd refuse to accept the results. He won and then people said "if he loses reelection", he'll refuse to accept the results. 

Dimwitted Trump supporters threw out things like "Trump derangement syndrome" and suggested that criticism of his increasingly erratic and dangerous behavior was unwarranted. We're now 4 days after Joe Biden won the election and his entire administration refuses to admit it. They have enough Republican leaders refusing to admit it. 

They're dishonestly trying to cite 2000 as the precedent they're following, but the reality is they're setting a new precedent where they can refuse to accept any and all election results moving forward by making up claims of cheating, telling their voters that they were cheated. 

Even in my congressional race, the loser is claiming she actually won (she lost by 40%) and will fight it. She said she won in person and early but lost because of mail ballots. She actually lost in person and early, but she's still on twitter, lying, threatening to fight it. 

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2020, 02:02 PM)hollodero Wrote: Not a real one, no.
If that were to happen, you'd be on your way to a one-party system. You could have an election, but unwelcome results would not get certified. That's how it goes in a totalitarian system; and if the election were turned this year without good reason and if that were to go through, that's exactly what would get erected. Because why wouldn't it.

And from having read multiple voices over the years, I'd bet that way more than 50% of Trump supporters would be absolutely in favor of that, including forbidding any party but the american unity party. It's one of the saddest things really, and one of the main reasons why the problem doesn't go away with Trump. If he can't do it, the next person will try, and the next person might be a tad smarter about it.

It just amazes me (well, then again it's not very amazing) that a country that celebrates independence day would have so many people who are open to the idea of just making Trump and his family the leaders of this country for probably decades.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2020, 02:25 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It just amazes me (well, then again it's not very amazing) that a country that celebrates independence day would have so many people who are open to the idea of just making Trump and his family the leaders of this country for probably decades.

Imho that is courtesy of a strict, decade-old two-party system. People end up being in one camp and just being utterly disgusted by the other, to a point where letting them perish trumps the wish to live in a democracy with free and fair elections. From what I've seen, I think that is far from hyperbolic. It already made truth and facts irrelevant, at which point I do not consider democratic values as safe.

Right now, it's Trump who might benefit (I think he won't this time around though), but as I prophetically warn, it could be someone else in a few years. Someone who is a bit more skillful and strategic about it.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2020, 02:34 PM)hollodero Wrote: Imho that is courtesy of a strict, decade-old two-party system. People end up being in one camp and just being utterly disgusted by the other, to a point where letting them perish trumps the wish to live in a democracy with free and fair elections. From what I've seen, I think that is far from hyperbolic. It already made truth and facts irrelevant, at which point I do not consider democratic values as safe.

Right now, it's Trump who might benefit (I think he won't this time around though), but as I prophetically warn, it could be someone else in a few years. Someone who is a bit more skillful and strategic about it.

Honestly, I'm made the same prophecy. Trump has shown what can be done by someone with little competence. If someone like McConnell wanted to take power he would be able to and the people have shown that they would accept it. This is why I talk so much about how what Trump has done exposed how flimsy the norms were that we relied on to keep our democracy intact and that we need to codify them.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2020, 02:56 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Honestly, I'm made the same prophecy. Trump has shown what can be done by someone with little competence. If someone like McConnell wanted to  take power he would be able to and the people have shown that they would accept it. This is why I talk so much about how what Trump has done exposed how flimsy the norms were that we relied on to keep our democracy intact and that we need to codify them.

I can see that, but McConnel also lacks the fame and infamy Trump has.  McConnel is an unscrupulous politician where Trump is able to tap into that celebrity dictator power.  As silly as it is seeing Trump's head photoshopped onto Rambo's body, it's easier to see Trump being fantasized into that ultra-powerful lifetime leader role than Mitch, policy be damned.

Trump is very good at mobilizing and inspiring the frustrated masses that believe themselves to be held down by society.  Maybe I'm just hoping Trump is the only man with the correct combination of traits to lead people down the road of totalitarianism, but I can't help but feel that his skill in doing so can't be underestimated.  If he had any ability or interest in growing his appeal beyond his ravenous followers this democracy would be in even more danger than it is now.

Also, Trump is willing to use his family to extend his influence and his followers are all about it. There is a strong sense of divine right to rule being projected onto the Trump family right now. Again, maybe I'm going overboard but voting Trump out is just like trying to break up with any psycho ex. He's not leaving without a fight and it's not going to be over until he says it's over, damn it.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2020, 02:56 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Honestly, I'm made the same prophecy. Trump has shown what can be done by someone with little competence. If someone like McConnell wanted to  take power he would be able to and the people have shown that they would accept it. This is why I talk so much about how what Trump has done exposed how flimsy the norms were that we relied on to keep our democracy intact and that we need to codify them.

My view 100%, it did show how flimsy they are. In most ways, the US seem to rely on a honor system - which works as long as people have honor. It was the honor of several republican senators that brought an end to Nixon. Not the law or the constitution. If today's sycophantic bunch of senators were in charge back then, Nixon wouldn't have suffered a scratch. There's be one single senator who would have done the honorable thing. The rest would have perpetuated a culture war and called Nixon an innocent victim of the radical left and the fake news media. Or whatever Susan "the president has learned his lesson" Collins would have done, which is probably nothing.

McConnell sure would have the intellectual capacities to pull off a power grab. I think he lacks the certain star power though to really speak to the masses. Imho, it'd have to be someone who combines both aspects.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2020, 03:16 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I can see that, but McConnel also lacks the fame and infamy Trump has.  McConnel is an unscrupulous politician where Trump is able to tap into that celebrity dictator power.  As silly as it is seeing Trump's head photoshopped onto Rambo's body, it's easier to see Trump being fantasized into that ultra-powerful lifetime leader role than Mitch, policy be damned.

Trump is very good at mobilizing and inspiring the frustrated masses that believe themselves to be held down by society.  Maybe I'm just hoping Trump is the only man with the correct combination of traits to lead people down the road of totalitarianism, but I can't help but feel that his skill in doing so can't be underestimated.  If he had any ability or interest in growing his appeal beyond his ravenous followers this democracy would be in even more danger than it is now.

Also, Trump is willing to use his family to extend his influence and his followers are all about it.  There is a strong sense of divine right to rule being projected onto the Trump family right now.  Again, maybe I'm going overboard but voting Trump out is just like trying to break up with any psycho ex.  He's not leaving without a fight and it's not going to be over until he says it's over, damn it.

Speaking from experience with breaking up with a bat shit crazy ex.....you hit this one on the head LOL
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2020, 02:25 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: People called this in 2016. If he lost he'd refuse to accept the results. He won and then people said "if he loses reelection", he'll refuse to accept the results. 

Dimwitted Trump supporters threw out things like "Trump derangement syndrome" and suggested that criticism of his increasingly erratic and dangerous behavior was unwarranted. We're now 4 days after Joe Biden won the election and his entire administration refuses to admit it. They have enough Republican leaders refusing to admit it. 

They're dishonestly trying to cite 2000 as the precedent they're following, but the reality is they're setting a new precedent where they can refuse to accept any and all election results moving forward by making up claims of cheating, telling their voters that they were cheated. 

Even in my congressional race, the loser is claiming she actually won (she lost by 40%) and will fight it. She said she won in person and early but lost because of mail ballots. She actually lost in person and early, but she's still on twitter, lying, threatening to fight it. 

I'm not as concerned with trump refusing to admit defeat. That's his gimmick. The concern is Congress bowing down to that.

I don't think the courts or the military will, but Congress has proven it might. And that's troubling.
Reply/Quote
We can argue policies and such but it will be nice to have a decent human being running things again.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2020, 02:03 AM)Benton Wrote: I'm not as concerned with trump refusing to admit defeat. That's his gimmick. The concern is Congress bowing down to that.

I don't think the courts or the military will, but Congress has proven it might. And that's troubling.

We're seeing some defectors, but it's still troublesome that McConnell can't say it. 

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2020, 01:12 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: We're seeing some defectors, but it's still troublesome that McConnell can't say it. 

He's just playing along because of the two runoffs in GA. The GOP is going to be beholden to Trump and his base long after he leaves office. The people playing along are just hoping to attract Trump's favor and following going forward.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2020, 01:12 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: We're seeing some defectors, but it's still troublesome that McConnell can't say it. 

McConnell's in a rough spot, and I don't blame him for saying Trump should take his time. McConnell is trying to keep the party together after this. It wasn't like Trump was just a GOP darling, he was an outsider who wedged himself into what was supposed to be a great time to be a republican traditionalist: Obama was on his way out, the economy was on the rebound, there was a majority to pass just about any legislation you wanted and people were unhappy with Obamacare. 

Then Trump showed up and punted the party platform, saying things GOP donors weren't really interested in investing in. Donors didn't want tariffs or a wall, they like cheap goods and labor. They didn't really want the 'yeah, Nazis are good people' message. 

So now McConnell's got to try keep the voters who fell in love with Trump, but also try to steer the party back to tax breaks for the rich and deregulating healthcare and environmental protections, the stuff the donors are interested in.

So I get McConnell.

I don't really get guys like Graham. Going all in on a fringe candidate? Seems like a good way to end up on the outside after his party settles down.
Reply/Quote
The Trump administration, more than likely because of orders from Trump himself, are deliberately putting everyone at higher and more risk because he is a small baby man who can't handle losing.

Great.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2020, 02:17 PM)GMDino Wrote: The Trump administration, more than likely because of orders from Trump himself, are deliberately putting everyone at higher and more risk because he is a small baby man who can't handle losing.

Great.

Me and a student were talking about the recent decision to make 3rd quarter virtual. I taught him in government last year and now have him for my electives. He was a big Trump supporter. When we did projects on presidents last year, he chose Obama and graded him an "F" lol 

We were discussing the vaccines and the need to get those out so we can get back as soon as its safe, because no one likes virtual.

I always keep things neutral in class, and, particularly with kids who are conservative, do not want them to be discouraged for their political views when they're in the minority of the class. I mentioned that my one concern is that if there is a delayed transition, it may take longer to get vaccines out. Surprisingly he said, "yea, I wanted him to win but Trump lost so he needs to not act like a baby about it." I responded "Yea, i think if he spends his last two months in office working with Biden to help push the vaccines out, people will remember him better in the future than if he spends it not working with Biden". 

Interesting hearing his take on it. 

Reply/Quote