Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Biden and Trump at the border
The difference between the two could not be better explained that by their duel appearances at the border yesterday.

Biden is presidential and has a grasp of the subject and encourages all sides to work together for a solution.

Trump is a wanna be tough guy who had to read from something just to criticize Biden.

https://apnews.com/article/border-immigration-biden-trump-42c945d02742b169bde40601a27fde02

Quote:[color=var(--color-byline-authors)]BY COLLEEN LONGSEUNG MIN KIM AND JILL COLVIN
Updated 7:25 PM EST, February 29, 2024

[/color]

BROWNSVILLE, Texas (AP) — On the banks of the same Rio Grande but 300 miles apart, President Joe Biden and GOP challenger Donald Trump on Thursday surveyed the U.S.-Mexico border and tussled from a distance over who is to blame for the nation’s broken immigration system and how to fix it.

Immigration has emerged as a central issue in the 2024 presidential campaign, which is widely expected to be a Biden-Trump rematch, and each man is seeking to use the border problems to his own political advantage.

Their itineraries were remarkably similar: They arrived in Texas within a half-hour of one another. Each chose an optimal location from which to make his point, got a briefing on operations and issues, walked along the scrub brush by the Rio Grande and spoke directly to the public. Their remarks even overlapped in time for a bit.

But that’s where the parallels ended.

Biden sought to spotlight the necessity of a bipartisan border security bill that was tanked by Republicans on Trump’s orders, and flat-out asked the Republican front-runner to join him in supporting a congressional push for more funding and tighter restrictions.

“Here’s what I would say to Mr. Trump,” Biden said. “Instead of playing politics with the issue, join me, or I’ll join you in telling the Congress to pass this bill. You know and I know it’s the toughest, most efficient, most effective border security bill this country’s ever seen.”

Biden went to the Rio Grande Valley city of Brownsville, which for nine years was the busiest corridor for illegal crossings. The numbers have dropped in recent months, which officials credited in part to Mexico for stepping up its own border security. The visit was a nod to how the Biden administration views migration: as a regional and global issue, not just a U.S. problem.

The president walked along the Rio Grande and received a lengthy briefing from Homeland Security officials, who spoke bluntly about what they needed to do their jobs effectively — in short, more money to hire more officers along the border and for use across the asylum process to help clear out massive backlogs.

“I want the American people to know what we’re trying to get done,” Biden said. “We can’t afford not to do this.”

Trump simply blamed Biden.

He traveled to Eagle Pass, roughly 325 miles northwest of Brownsville, in the corridor that’s currently seeing the largest number of migrant crossings. He met with Republican Gov. Greg Abbott and Texas National Guard soldiers who have commandeered a local park and put up razor wire fencing at the river’s edge to keep migrants from crossing illegally. The park has become a Republican symbol of defiance against the federal government.

“This is like a war,” Trump said.

Gazing out over the river through the razor wire, Trump raised his fist and waved and shouted to people on the Mexico side, who waved back. Then, he declared that migrants arriving to the border were criminals and some were terrorists, a dialed-up version of the accusations he often used during the 2016 campaign. This time, he’s started to harness rhetoric once used by Adolf Hitler to argue migrants are poisoning the blood of America.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
Is this just a sick joke or what.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2024, 10:27 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Is this just a sick joke or what.

Yeah, P01135809 has turned everything in the country into a joke but 30% of republican voters still love him and hang on his every word. Mellow

All seriousness aside could you elaborate?
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
Not worth my time.
Reply/Quote
Even at P01135809's rally at the border there was a disconnect where the agents want the policies to do what they need to do and they blame Biden when the man next to him personally stopped congress from giving them the help they want.

Biden offers to work with him...but P01135809 thrives in chaos.

You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2024, 10:37 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Not worth my time.

Well thanks for stopping by to make two comments about something "not worth" you time.

I guess?
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2024, 10:39 AM)GMDino Wrote: Even at P01135809's rally at the border there was a disconnect where the agents want the policies to do what they need to do and they blame Biden when the man next to him personally stopped congress from giving them the help they want.

Biden offers to work with him...but P01135809 thrives in chaos.

There is only a couple parts that is good, overall it's a crappy bill and does very little to address the issue long term. In fact, the 4th year would be a killer for immigrants to come as the DHS isn't allowed to close the border and Biden wanting to give crossers work permits asap, it will be a royal nightmare.

And kinda funny, the crossing numbers might be down in the Tx area's but it's not because of Biden or any of his Policies, it's Abbot. OTOH the SoCal and Ariz crossings are way up now.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/immigration-texas-border-arizona-california-migrants/

Eagle Pass, Texas — In recent weeks, the flow of migrants crossing into the U.S. illegally has largely shifted away from Texas, concentrating instead in Arizona and California, where immigration officials are now recording roughly 60% of all unlawful border crossings, according to internal federal government figures obtained by CBS News.

Overall illegal crossings along the U.S.-Mexico border have dropped sharply since soaring to a record high in December. In January, Border Patrol recorded 125,000 migrant apprehensions in between ports of entry along the southern border, compared to nearly 250,000 in December, preliminary federal data show. But the geographic trends of those migration flows have also changed dramatically.  
Over the past weeks, the Tucson sector in Arizona and the San Diego sector in California have been the busiest Border Patrol regions for migrant crossings. In both sectors, more than 1,000 migrants have been entering the U.S. illegally each day in remote desert areas like Lukeville, Arizona, and Jacumba Hot Springs, California, in recent weeks, taking advantage of gaps in the border wall or holes cut by smugglers.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2024, 11:49 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: There is only a couple parts that is good, overall it's a crappy bill and does very little to address the issue long term. In fact, the 4th year would be a killer for immigrants to come as the DHS isn't allowed to close the border and Biden wanting to give crossers work permits asap, it will be a royal nightmare.

And kinda funny, the crossing numbers might be down in the Tx area's but it's not because of Biden or any of his Policies, it's Abbot. OTOH the SoCal and Ariz crossings are way up now.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/immigration-texas-border-arizona-california-migrants/

Eagle Pass, Texas — In recent weeks, the flow of migrants crossing into the U.S. illegally has largely shifted away from Texas, concentrating instead in Arizona and California, where immigration officials are now recording roughly 60% of all unlawful border crossings, according to internal federal government figures obtained by CBS News.

Overall illegal crossings along the U.S.-Mexico border have dropped sharply since soaring to a record high in December. In January, Border Patrol recorded 125,000 migrant apprehensions in between ports of entry along the southern border, compared to nearly 250,000 in December, preliminary federal data show. But the geographic trends of those migration flows have also changed dramatically.  
Over the past weeks, the Tucson sector in Arizona and the San Diego sector in California have been the busiest Border Patrol regions for migrant crossings. In both sectors, more than 1,000 migrants have been entering the U.S. illegally each day in remote desert areas like Lukeville, Arizona, and Jacumba Hot Springs, California, in recent weeks, taking advantage of gaps in the border wall or holes cut by smugglers.

A few things:

1) I saw an interview last night where it was suggested that Biden should have gone to AZ or CA for that reason.

2) P01135809 could have gone there without an invitation like he got from Abbott.

3) P01135809 took shots that the governors of those two states also because...not republican.

4) This takes nothing away from the fact that Biden and republicans came up with something to help and P01135809 doesn't have any plan, nor does he want anyone else to have a plan.  He wants something to campaign on.
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2024, 12:09 PM)GMDino Wrote: A few things:

1) I saw an interview last night where it was suggested that Biden should have gone to AZ or CA for that reason.

2) P01135809 could have gone there without an invitation like he got from Abbott.

3) P01135809 took shots that the governors of those two states also because...not republican.

4) This takes nothing away from the fact that Biden and republicans came up with something to help and P01135809 doesn't have any plan, nor does he want anyone else to have a plan.  He wants something to campaign on.

1) There's a reason he didn't go there. Numbers up, doesn't support his case.

2) Why would he? he wouldn't be welcome there.

3) The party doesn't really matter much to him, if you are with him you are with him, if not, you are with them. LOL you should know this by now.

4) Uhm.... Yes it does, It's a very bad policy and passing it will make it worse. I'm sure he has a plan, and probably one that would make Dem's Cringe. LOL As i pointed out in another thread, for the first time since polling began on USC's for a Wall, it's finally reached over 50% for it. Not that i'm all for it, but it's definitely better than Biden's plan.
Reply/Quote
Trump said people are coming into this country speaking languages no one here even speaks...so either he is full of shit (not likely) or we've made some sort of contact with a long lost race or humanoid species.  Why isn't anyone looking into this? Could our southern border be under invasion from the formerly reclusive people of North Sentinel Island?

Seriously though, even if Trump is mentally fit to be president or anything for that matter, I have to question the sanity of our society when he says something like this that is clearly a bunch of crap and people just silently stand there and pretend they didn't hear it.  Or are Trump supporters saying he is "joking" or that we really are finding people coming to this country who are speaking languages that aren't even documented in the collective history and knowledge banks of western society?
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2024, 12:38 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Trump said people are coming into this country speaking languages no one here even speaks...so either he is full of shit (not likely) or we've made some sort of contact with a long lost race or humanoid species.  Why isn't anyone looking into this? Could our southern border be under invasion from the formerly reclusive people of North Sentinel Island?

Seriously though, even if Trump is mentally fit to be president or anything for that matter, I have to question the sanity of our society when he says something like this that is clearly a bunch of crap and people just silently stand there and pretend they didn't hear it.  Or are Trump supporters saying he is "joking" or that we really are finding people coming to this country who are speaking languages that aren't even documented in the collective history and knowledge banks of western society?

eh?  When Trump says something, everyone takes it literally, but when Biden says something, instead of taking it literally, everyone tries to explain what he really meant. It's quite annoying.

Aside from Spanish, all other languages spoken in the US, Chinese is around 5-7%, and then 3-4 others are 3-5% or less, and all others are less than 1%.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2024, 03:28 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: eh?  When Trump says something, everyone takes it literally, but when Biden says something, instead of taking it literally, everyone tries to explain what he really meant. It's quite annoying. Aside from Spanish, all other languages spoken in the US, Chinese is around 5-7%, and then 3-4 others are 3-5% or less, and all others are less than 1%.

So did Trump really mean something with that, or is he just making stuff up or does he really think people are coming to this country illegally and speaking languages no one here has heard?  There are a few insanely isolated tribes that speak languages no one in America speaks, I think...I assume Trump is just blowing stuff out of proportion because it sounds more foreign and scary.

It's also amusing that Trump uses "they speak different languages" as a scare tactic seeing as his parents and two of his wives didn't speak English as a first language. Anyways, I just thought even for him that was an amusingly overdone bit of hyperbole.  If Biden and his supporters talked about how Joe Biden isn't declining in fact he's sharper than ever and he's way smarter than anyone else and he's the only man for the job, then we could wonder why they don't cringe when he says something so stupid...well, that and Biden supporters are stressed out and cringing constantly because they have a grimly accurate view of their candidate.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2024, 05:59 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So did Trump really mean something with that, or is he just making stuff up or does he really think people are coming to this country illegally and speaking languages no one here has heard?  There are a few insanely isolated tribes that speak languages no one in America speaks, I think...I assume Trump is just blowing stuff out of proportion because it sounds more foreign and scary.

It's also amusing that Trump uses "they speak different languages" as a scare tactic seeing as his parents and two of his wives didn't speak English as a first language. Anyways, I just thought even for him that was an amusingly overdone bit of hyperbole.  If Biden and his supporters talked about how Joe Biden isn't declining in fact he's sharper than ever and he's way smarter than anyone else and he's the only man for the job, then we could wonder why they don't cringe when he says something so stupid...well, that and Biden supporters are stressed out and cringing constantly because they have a grimly accurate view of their candidate.

Trump is playing it for all it's worth to make it seem as bad as possible, while Biden is down playing it, 

The thing is, it's bad all around and the Senate's bill stinks.
Reply/Quote
To the OP

Please explain to us how Trump's stay in Mexico policy and end of catch and release impacted illegal immigrants entering into the US his 4 years as President.

Then explain if the POTUS needed Congress, why was Trump successful.

Please explain why Biden's decision to stop the Trump policies helped stop or deter illegal immigrants from coming to the border.

Please explain if Biden and Democrats want to deter/stop illegal immigrants from entering the US why the Biden Justice Department keeps Sueing Texas from making it harder for Illegal immigrants to get to the US border.

Please explain why Texas has been successful since December 2023 deterring/stopping illegal immigrants (not Biden) by building barriers in the water and barb wired fencing, but Biden wants them to stop.

Please explain if changing the laws was important to Joe Bide, Democratic Senators and Democratic House members why they did not pass one piece of legislation to deter/stop illegal immigration as they control of the Senate and the House in 2021 and 2022.

Last, please explain why Joe Biden and Chuck Schuer 100% dismissed the stand-alone border legislation passed in the house in 2023, yet it has never been debated on the floor of the senate.

There is only one stand-alone piece of legislation to secure the border, Biden lies when he says it is bi-partisan legislation, it failed to pass in the Senate, Democrats voted against it.

You are quick to point out if you feel Trump has lied, well I have news for you, Biden lies or screws up every time he speaks whether using. a teleprompter or his huge cue cards.

You say tale of 2 views, I agree one was touting failed legislation members of his party refused to endorse. One (Biden) spent more time discussing climate change than he did discussing the border is a crisis, immigrant crime is rampant, and Biden ignores it. For 3 years Biden and Democrats told you and me the border was secure, all was great.

The thing that took Joe Biden democrats to finally admit we have a border issue was the border is now the #1 issue for voters. Democratic cities are finally experiencing what Texas has experienced by a small fraction, but they can't handle it, they can't afford now to be a sanctuary city. They have to make choices, support illegal immigrants awaiting hearings for next 5 to 7 years, or support their tax paying lower income citizens. Many have chosen the illegal immigrants. Now you have a revolt from a huge portion of the Democratic base.

I will ask this one more time, why did a 100% controlled Congress and President fail to fix immigration in 2021 and 2022, accident or long range plan to get future voters.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2024, 12:31 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: To the OP

Please explain to us how Trump's stay in Mexico policy and end of catch and release impacted illegal immigrants entering into the US his 4 years as President.

Then explain if the POTUS needed Congress, why was Trump successful.

Please explain why Biden's decision to stop the Trump policies helped stop or deter illegal immigrants from coming to the border.

Please explain if Biden and Democrats want to deter/stop illegal immigrants from entering the US why the Biden Justice Department keeps Sueing Texas from making it harder for Illegal immigrants to get to the US border.

Please explain why Texas has been successful since December 2023 deterring/stopping illegal immigrants (not Biden) by building barriers in the water and barb wired fencing, but Biden wants them to stop.

Please explain if changing the laws was important to Joe Bide, Democratic Senators and Democratic House members why they did not pass one piece of legislation to deter/stop illegal immigration as they control of the Senate and the House in 2021 and 2022.

Last, please explain why Joe Biden and Chuck Schuer 100% dismissed the stand-alone border legislation passed in the house in 2023, yet it has never been debated on the floor of the senate.

There is only one stand-alone piece of legislation to secure the border, Biden lies when he says it is bi-partisan legislation, it failed to pass in the Senate, Democrats voted against it.

You are quick to point out if you feel Trump has lied, well I have news for you, Biden lies or screws up every time he speaks whether using. a teleprompter or his huge cue cards.

You say tale of 2 views, I agree one was touting failed legislation members of his party refused to endorse. One (Biden) spent more time discussing climate change than he did discussing the border is a crisis, immigrant crime is rampant, and Biden ignores it. For 3 years Biden and Democrats told you and me the border was secure, all was great.

The thing that took Joe Biden democrats to finally admit we have a border issue was the border is now the #1 issue for voters. Democratic cities are finally experiencing what Texas has experienced by a small fraction, but they can't handle it, they can't afford now to be a sanctuary city. They have to make choices, support illegal immigrants awaiting hearings for next 5 to 7 years, or support their tax paying lower income citizens. Many have chosen the illegal immigrants. Now you have a revolt from a huge portion of the Democratic base.

I will ask this one more time, why did a 100% controlled Congress and President fail to fix immigration in 2021 and 2022, accident or long range plan to get future voters.

No. But thanks for the request. However I'll "explain why:  You have proven to be impenetrable to anything beyond what FOX has told you and no answer, no matter how the situation at the border is explained you will blame the Democrats and only the Democrats.  No amount of "explanation" will satisfy you.

I will say your posts are sometimes fun to read as it give me, personally, insight into how other think no matter how much I disagree with them or how much I know they are mistaken in their approach to a topic.

The border is bigger than "round em all up" or "let em all in".  BTW, only one of those has been proposed...lol.
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
Mike Johnson insists that border patrol does not want money for more agents and to help stem the tide but instead just want the border closed off completely.

https://x.com/DNCWarRoom/status/1742667697832280296?s=20

[Image: Screenshot-2024-03-02-083746.png]

Here is the whole interview (with the relevant part around 9:00) where Johnson continues to simply repeat talking points and blame everyone but congress for failing to do anything and P01135809 who he is subservient to.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2024/01/03/the-lead-speaker-mike-johnson-texas-border-jake-tapper-live.cnn

What's funny is they treat the situation like they do mass shootings in that they say "now is not the time to talk about it" and it is never the time to talk about it.  But in THIS case we must stop it for ever happening and it is all the Democrats fault...but republicans won't do anything.
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2024, 09:59 AM)GMDino Wrote: No. But thanks for the request. However I'll "explain why:  You have proven to be impenetrable to anything beyond what FOX has told you and no answer, no matter how the situation at the border is explained you will blame the Democrats and only the Democrats.  No amount of "explanation" will satisfy you.

I will say your posts are sometimes fun to read as it give me, personally, insight into how other think no matter how much I disagree with them or how much I know they are mistaken in their approach to a topic.

The border is bigger than "round em all up" or "let em all in".  BTW, only one of those has been proposed...lol.

It appears again your stance is attack personally versus debating facts. I gave you verified facts and questions, you come back with non-sense.

Feel free to go point by point and answer my questions, do some research on how Trump did have the border under control. How did it do it without new laws from Congress? 

The border is a loser for Democrats, they could have approved new laws, but instead sat on their hands in 2021 and 2022. Now in 2024, they want Republicans to fix their mess in the house. 

As I stated, if Biden and Democrats wanted to deter/stop illegal immigrants from coming to the border, Biden would not have reversed ALMOST 100 TRUMP BORDER INIATIVES.

It is clear to almost 70% of the country, Biden and the Democrats won't and can't handle the border. The BS legislation allows for 5000 new illegal immigrants a day to enter into the US, so their plan is let in 1.5 million, hire more agents not to arrest them, but to process them and more judges because there is over 8 million awaiting hearings now. Add in Biden and Schumer wanted to fund Ukraine with over 60 billion dollars to help them secure their border with Russia.

MAGA = America First, then help others if we can, not the Biden and Democrats America last policies.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2024, 02:03 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It appears again your stance is attack personally versus debating facts. I gave you verified facts and questions, you come back with non-sense.

Feel free to go point by point and answer my questions, do some research on how Trump did have the border under control. How did it do it without new laws from Congress? 

The border is a loser for Democrats, they could have approved new laws, but instead sat on their hands in 2021 and 2022. Now in 2024, they want Republicans to fix their mess in the house. 

As I stated, if Biden and Democrats wanted to deter/stop illegal immigrants from coming to the border, Biden would not have reversed ALMOST 100 TRUMP BORDER INIATIVES.

It is clear to almost 70% of the country, Biden and the Democrats won't and can't handle the border. The BS legislation allows for 5000 new illegal immigrants a day to enter into the US, so their plan is let in 1.5 million, hire more agents not to arrest them, but to process them and more judges because there is over 8 million awaiting hearings now. Add in Biden and Schumer wanted to fund Ukraine with over 60 billion dollars to help them secure their border with Russia.

MAGA = America First, then help others if we can, not the Biden and Democrats America last policies.

How did Trump "control" the border?  He really didn't until COVID hit.   "Stay in Mexico" was a policy operating under a court challenge.  IT had been stayed at the Federal Level and SCOTUS removed the stay but it was still being challenged.  

Now House Republicans want to codify 'stay in Mexico"...gee if it was legal in the first place why would they need to make it law?

The problem is the asylum seekers...to fix that US LAW MUST BE CHANGED!!!!! And your MAGA leader prevented that. The law allowed for 5000 people to be processed not admitted. Processed means arrested and interviewed not admitted. Under the current law 9 out of 10 asylum seekers are admitted to wait for further ejudication. Under the torpedoed law (which Trump killed because it would have been a win for Biden) 1 out of 10 would have qualified for admission.

Tell me, wouldn't, at this point, even a partial stoppage of the asylum seekers have been better than today's status quo? This bill was negotiated by one of the most conservative men in the Senate from a very loyal MAGA state. He never would have signed off on this bill if he thought he could get more. Republicans, who have proven time and time again, that they are incapable of governing, will never be able to pass the Draconian laws they want. 3/4 of what they wanted is better than 0. If when election day came along and things had not improved by then, Trump could have a major "I told you so moment" Now he has campaign ads going against him with an actual video of him saying he killed the bill for personal political reasons....not because he thought it was a bad law.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2024, 09:59 AM)GMDino Wrote: No. But thanks for the request. However I'll "explain why:  You have proven to be impenetrable to anything beyond what FOX has told you and no answer, no matter how the situation at the border is explained you will blame the Democrats and only the Democrats.  No amount of "explanation" will satisfy you.

[Image: 1zlwo9.jpg?a474048]

(03-02-2024, 02:03 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It appears again your stance is attack personally versus debating facts. I gave you verified facts and questions, you come back with non-sense.

Incorrect, Dino never makes personal attacks.  He told me so himself.  Only people disagreeing with him or his friends engage in personal attacks.

Reply/Quote

Kettle, pot, black, meh, whatever.

Many of you are comical and predictable, while repeatedly spewing the same rhetoric. Trump bad, Trump bad, Trump bad. Democrats do no prong. Keep complaining about Trump to try and draw attention away from this inept administration. Blind leading the blind. Who’s really a cult? I would say the zombie left. It is what it is.

Reply/Quote