Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Biden to nominate Merrick Garland as Attorney General
This is going to be interesting. I look forward to watching his confirmation hearing.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 03:16 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: This is going to be interesting. I look forward to watching his confirmation hearing.

I'm guessing it won't be bad.  I don't think the Republicans denying him a vote had anything to do with him personally.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 05:01 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I'm guessing it won't be bad.  I don't think the Republicans denying him a vote had anything to do with him personally.

I think it depends on how the GOP decides to behave post-Trump. I am hoping that things may calm down after coming to a head, today.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 05:15 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I think it depends on how the GOP decides to behave post-Trump. I am hoping that things may calm down after coming to a head, today.

Well yeah if they aren't just in the mood to be dicks, I don't see them holding up Garland anymore than anyone else.  I think after today they will try to stay invisible for a while because they are all going to be painted with a broad brush after this.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
The "Sorry that Mitch screwed you out of the job you actually wanted" nomination.
Reply/Quote
Good FU.

He was nominated because the GOP dared Obama to nominate him by name rather than someone liberal. Obviously anyone on Biden's SCOTUS list will be more liberal, so it wouldn't have made sense to save him for that.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 05:25 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Good FU.

He was nominated because the GOP dared Obama to nominate him by name rather than someone liberal. Obviously anyone on Biden's SCOTUS list will be more liberal, so it wouldn't have made sense to save him for that.

It is also important because it helps maintain an image of independence and impartiality for the DoJ when they do what will likely end up happening.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 05:27 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It is also important because it helps maintain an image of independence and impartiality for the DoJ when they do what will likely end up happening.

Absolutely. Hatch called him a "consensus pick" and a "fine man" that would be a good choice for Obama to nominate to SCOTUS. 

There's no legitimate argument to be made against him.

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 05:30 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Absolutely. Hatch called him a "consensus pick" and a "fine man" that would be a good choice for Obama to nominate to SCOTUS. 

I agree, what happened to him sucked.  I think he'd be a great choice and not a partisan one either.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 05:30 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Absolutely. Hatch called him a "consensus pick" and a "fine man" that would be a good choice for Obama to nominate to SCOTUS. 

Some of the lawyers I follow on twitter have raised concern that they like to see  fewer prosecutors and more defenders in DOJ but that's it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 07:08 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I agree, what happened to him sucked.  I think he'd be a great choice and not a partisan one either.

Which is important when there will be pressure to investigate Trump

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 07:13 PM)GMDino Wrote: Some of the lawyers I follow on twitter have raised concern that they like to see  fewer prosecutors and more defenders in DOJ but that's it.

I was specifically thinking from Senate Republicans, but yea

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 05:15 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I think it depends on how the GOP decides to behave post-Trump. I am hoping that things may calm down after coming to a head, today.

It's going to be an interesting several months/years.

In light of the violence, does the gop double down on "were the party of opposition" or do they try and mend fences, give Biden his ground?

Personally, I think they double down on the party of opposition. Its all they've had for a few decades now and there's no leader in the party that knows anything different.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 07:20 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I was specifically thinking from Senate Republicans, but yea

Yeah, I got that just throwing out that even someone like that who the politicians don't mind has detractors within the area he will be in charge.  I don't know enough about his decisions and leanings to tell you if that affects how he would be as AG vs a judge.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote