Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biden would of beat David Dennison Ass!
(03-22-2018, 11:00 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: To be sure.  I think bfine's point is that such comments about Trump are, at the very least, tolerated on the mainstream media.

I don't know that seems more like your pet peeve than his :) ah doesn't matter. I don't know if what you say is totally accurate. As for this Biden thing, the only youtube clip I found right now was of Mika Brzccz...however, that Morning Joe person with the "bleeding face lift", and she clearly said that what Biden said was not ok. I honestly do not know how important Biden would be though, the words pretty much speak for themselves anyway.

(03-22-2018, 11:00 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: If you'll recall the outrage when a GOP rep shouted out "You lie!" during an Obama SOTU address and then compare the either non-reaction or even praise for things like this with Trump.

No one interrupted Trump's speech though. I have no personal knowledge, but I guess the outrage was far lower about people calling Obama a liar after his speeches. During the speech, that's something else, and as I said no "liberal" dared to interrupt Trump.
Trump, on the other hand, speculated that not clapping for him is treason. As soon as such words escape one's mouth, there'll be backlash and that I can not condemn. Since you did that too, I wonder what the reaction would have been if Obama had ever said something among these lines.

(03-22-2018, 11:00 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The backlash against "you lie" was well deserved.  Why can Snoop, Eminem, Biden and others threaten the POTUS with violence and not be immediately condemned for it.  The only person I can think of who's actually suffered some consequences for this type of action is Kathy Griffen.

Yeh, that's this hot iron I myself can't carry the whole nine yards like the only truely righteous person could. There's an aspect of what comes around goes around to that. By that I mean Trump sure incited violence in his speeches, either directly or indirectly (second amendment guys that could handle Hillary), aside from that he is inflammatory, he is not innocent to me. Which doesn't make calls for violence ok, don't understand me wrong.
I do not know what Snoop or Eminem said. I do know that this Ted Nugent guy still runs around, and the things this guy said are pretty outrageous. Yet Trump and others like him a big deal and show it. All I'm saying is maybe it's not just the left aisle that lacks a certain principle here.

(03-22-2018, 11:00 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Trump is also routinely castigated in the press for these things.

Sure he is, but to a large extent that's on him. He called the media all kinds of abhorrent things, and these are just humans as well whose anger finds its expression in the way they report about him, and I have a hard time holding the media to a higher standard than the US president.
As soon as the media is actually lying, I do have a problem with that. I also do not like US news networks, so I do not intent to strike a blow for them. They are sensationalistic and sure over the top at times, I don't think what CNN or MSNBC is doing amounts to a scandal though. On the other hand, there's FOX news, the self-proclaimed largest most influential network, that in my view deserves way more critizism than the "mainstream" ones. But again, not a CNN fan.

(03-22-2018, 11:00 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It was made by the left's resident wing nut, of course it's in bad taste.

Hey it's not my cup of tea and you've been nothing but decent to me, but what's with the aggressive language of yours lately. Just an observation, feel free to ignore it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-22-2018, 11:31 AM)hollodero Wrote: I don't know that seems more like your pet peeve than his :) ah doesn't matter. I don't know if what you say is totally accurate. As for this Biden thing, the only youtube clip I found right now was of Mika Brzccz...however, that Morning Joe person with the "bleeding face lift", and she clearly said that what Biden said was not ok. I honestly do not know how important Biden would be though, the words pretty much speak for themselves anyway.

Good, such things should be called out regardless of who makes them.

Quote:No one interrupted Trump's speech though. I have no personal knowledge, but I guess the outrage was far lower about people calling Obama a liar after his speeches. During the speech, that's something else, and as I said no "liberal" dared to interrupt Trump.
Trump, on the other hand, speculated that not clapping for him is treason. As soon as such words escape one's mouth, there'll be backlash and that I can not condemn. Since you did that too, I wonder what the reaction would have been if Obama had ever said something among these lines.

Trump has established an incredibly low baseline in regards to his comments.  He's said such insane things that only his most egregious statements attract any real attention.  Obama is a measured, articulate, guy.  A "normal" statement by Trump, that would go ignored because "it's Trump" would sound insane coming from Obama.

Quote:Yeh, that's this hot iron I myself can't carry the whole nine yards like the only truely righteous person could. There's an aspect of what comes around goes around to that. By that I mean Trump sure incited violence in his speeches, either directly or indirectly (second amendment guys that could handle Hillary), aside from that he is inflammatory, he is not innocent to me. Which doesn't make calls for violence ok, don't understand me wrong.
I do not know what Snoop or Eminem said. I do know that this Ted Nugent guy still runs around, and the things this guy said are pretty outrageous. Yet Trump and others like him a big deal and show it. All I'm saying is maybe it's not just the left aisle that lacks a certain principle here.

I'm not even remotely advocating for criminal charges, I'm just asking for consistency in outrage.  Nugent was torn apart by everyone but Fox.  Snoop can execute a Trump lookalike in a video and you hear virtually nothing about it.  A poster here once defended this by saying "Trump brings out the worst in people", which is a complete abdication of personal responsibility.  Trump is responsible for he says and does and everyone else is personally responsible for their reactions to him.  Trump being outrageous does not enable others to react in similar fashion.

Quote:Sure he is, but to a large extent that's on him. He called the media all kinds of abhorrent things, and these are just humans as well whose anger finds its expression in the way they report about him, and I have a hard time holding the media to a higher standard than the US president.
As soon as the media is actually lying, I do have a problem with that. I also do not like US news networks, so I do not intent to strike a blow for them. They are sensationalistic and sure over the top at times, I don't think what CNN or MSNBC is doing amounts to a scandal though. On the other hand, there's FOX news, the self-proclaimed largest most influential network, that in my view deserves way more critizism than the "mainstream" ones. But again, not a CNN fan.

I don't consider it a scandal either.  I do consider it a double standard and all the news networks engage in it, even the ones that supposedly pride themselves for being non-partisan.

Quote:Hey it's not my cup of tea and you've been nothing but decent to me, but what's with the aggressive language of yours lately. Just an observation, feel free to ignore it.

It's not of late.  I've always been this way, to varying degrees, to the four or so posters on this board that I hold in contempt.  This contempt does not come from political differences, some of my favorite people here have little in common with me in that regard.  My disdain is earned because these people routinely obfuscate, twist arguments, claim people say things they didn't and refuse to answer direct questions when they know the answers will weaken their argument.  You do none of these things, just the opposite in fact, so you'll never get that reaction from me.  Also, I have to deal with awful people on a daily basis and I have to do so in a calm, professional manner.  Being able to respond with a little venom here is cathartic for me.  Admittedly I will take it too far on occasion.   Smirk
(03-22-2018, 11:45 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Trump has established an incredibly low baseline in regards to his comments.  He's said such insane things that only his most egregious statements attract any real attention.  Obama is a measured, articulate, guy.  A "normal" statement by Trump, that would go ignored because "it's Trump" would sound insane coming from Obama.

Hm, that's a bit of a head scratcher for me right here. I mean, no argument about that of course, I just wonder what's the consequence of that. I don't think the understandable reaction is to apply a Trump standard to Trump and a different Obama standard to Obama just because the one is a measured guy and the other one is unhinged.
If things would sound insane coming from Obama, that's because the words are insane, not because Obama's Obama. That's why establishing a whole new low baseline looks - strange to me, as in what's the consequence of saying that.
I feel every backlash Obama would have earned Trump deserves as well. Yet I also feel that's not the truth here. Obama would have never politically survived this myriad of pussygrabbing, boyscouts-politicising [1.000.000 more examples] comments, so why does Trump, if not for a different standard applied to him because he's Trump. Factually, as if that were an excuse.

EDIT I know Trump gets all kinds of backlash from the left, and from CNN et al. - but why not from FOX and the right. On the other hand CNN et al. would have never given Obama a pass if he were just like a democrat's Trump, that I'm certain of.

(03-22-2018, 11:45 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm not even remotely advocating for criminal charges

Didn't think you were.  I meant "the right", whatever that is, doesn't call out Ted Nugent either. It's just the other side as well.

(03-22-2018, 11:45 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm just asking for consistency in outrage.

Ironically, that is just my view of everything Trump says. Consistency of outrage. Hence the thousand words I said in the paragraph above. If Obama had said it it would have been insane, if Trump says it it's the new normal. That looks so inconsistent to me.
I know that's about the promis here and not those, but still.

(03-22-2018, 11:45 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Nugent was torn apart by everyone but Fox.  Snoop can execute a Trump lookalike in a video and you hear virtually nothing about it.  A poster here once defended this by saying "Trump brings out the worst in people", which is a complete abdication of personal responsibility.  Trump is responsible for he says and does and everyone else is personally responsible for their reactions to him.  Trump being outrageous does not enable others to react in similar fashion.

Great, now I watched a Snoop Dogg video, the things I do for these boards. In fairness, it seems like he didn't actually shoot the clown :) nah, that doesn't make it right. That video's certainly bad taste. I do wonder (and I don't know) how important of a cultural figure Snoop Dogg is though. I only knew this guy as someone who made taking drugs into some kind of art form, but I saw him as a clown who's pretty much irrelevant. Well, maybe he's not. Otherwise, I would refrain from making a huge deal out of anything someone not so relevant does somewhere.

As for the other part, I really see both sides here. I sure see your side, and Trump can never be an excuse for any misconduct. But Trump does indeed bring out the worst in people, *cough* Breitbart *cough*, that's what all the right-wing populists do and that's one of the main reasons I loathe them so much. I don't mean it as an excuse for those people left or right, but it's also not one for Trump.

(03-22-2018, 11:45 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I don't consider it a scandal either.  I do consider it a double standard and all the news networks engage in it, even the ones that supposedly pride themselves for being non-partisan.

I guess I would disagree on some more detailed level, but overall, I can see your point. And they most certainly are not "non-partisan" when it comes to Trump, at least most of the anchors, who seem to define the spin of the news hour.
It's tough for me to say because US news are so fundamentally different from Austrian news that it's a whole strange new world for me to begin with. It's all bizarre to me.

(03-22-2018, 11:45 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It's not of late.  I've always been this way, to varying degrees, to the four or so posters on this board that I hold in contempt.  This contempt does not come from political differences, some of my favorite people here have little in common with me in that regard.  My disdain is earned because these people routinely obfuscate, twist arguments, claim people say things they didn't and refuse to answer direct questions when they know the answers will weaken their argument.  You do none of these things, just the opposite in fact, so you'll never get that reaction from me.  Also, I have to deal with awful people on a daily basis and I have to do so in a calm, professional manner.  Being able to respond with a little venom here is cathartic for me.  Admittedly I will take it too far on occasion.   Smirk

OK :)
I hereby choose to not get further into it.
(03-22-2018, 11:27 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: On a side note, it is interesting that those who immediately attacked Biden for this would have called other people here "petty" for making similar comments about Trump's unpresidential or unbecoming statements.

Meh, no different than those critical of Trump's comments who are also okay with Biden's or actively celebrating them, IMO.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(03-22-2018, 08:55 AM)michaelsean Wrote: So are you good with someone walking up and punching you in the face because of what you just said about conservative women?
Why would "someone" risk a ride in an ambulance to the emergency room over something that is factual? Huh?
(03-22-2018, 05:42 PM)ballsofsteel Wrote: Why would "someone" risk a ride in an ambulance to the emergency room over something that is factual? Huh?

Keep digging.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(03-22-2018, 08:55 AM)michaelsean Wrote: So are you good with someone walking up and punching you in the face because of what you just said about conservative women?

/thread
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(03-22-2018, 11:27 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: On a side note, it is interesting that those who immediately attacked Biden for this would have called other people here "petty" for making similar comments about Trump's unpresidential or unbecoming statements.

Nah, petty would have been starting a thread about it. 

(03-22-2018, 06:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nah, petty would have been starting a thread about it. 

Petty is David Dennison's middle name.
(03-22-2018, 06:08 PM)ballsofsteel Wrote: Petty is David Dennison's middle name.

If  David Dennison is Trump then I totally agree. 

(03-22-2018, 11:27 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Awesome, the two biggest candidates for 2020 are 70 something old guys talking about how they'd kick the other's ass in high school. We're bringing class back into the White House.

Photo of Biden and Trump at school:

[Image: colonial-classroom.jpg]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(03-21-2018, 09:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Anyone remember Al Gore, with the Potatoe argument with the school child?

Wasn't that Quayle? 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(03-22-2018, 06:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nah, petty would have been starting a thread about it. 

Okey Doke.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(03-22-2018, 08:28 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Wasn't that Quayle? 

Yeah and he was deemed to dumb to exist for that.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(03-22-2018, 08:28 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Wasn't that Quayle? 

I think that you're right.  However, they seem pretty interchangeable.  So, what's the difference?  LOL

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23