Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bieniemy getting his shot to prove himself
I guess since Andy Reid isn't retiring he's gotta find something.

I thought all the "Bieniemy should be a HC" chatter was silly considering he didn't call plays in KC. Granted, most of that chatter was just Mike Florio.

I guess now we'll get to see what he's made of....assuming Rivera lets him call plays (and it looks like he will). I hope he succeeds but would not be surprised at all if he fails. 15 teams passed on him as a HC for a reason.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35681863/sources-washington-commanders-offer-oc-job-eric-bieniemy

Also looks like he got a slight promotion so it wasn't a complete lateral move.

On PFT they mentioned KC didn't want to match the years or dollars he was getting.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
I don’t see why the Bieniemy hype was “silly” at all. He’s been a major part of the most successful team since the Brady Pats. He didn’t call plays? So what. Zac Taylor was a QB coach when we hired him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 09:56 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t see why the Bieniemy hype was “silly” at all. He’s been a major part of the most successful team since the Brady Pats. He didn’t call plays? So what. Zac Taylor was a QB coach when we hired him.

If not calling plays wasn’t as big a deal as you say it is then wouldn’t he have gotten a job a long time ago?

It’s not like it’s my original thought. It’s been a talking point for years.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2023, 07:33 AM)basballguy Wrote: If not calling plays wasn’t as big a deal as you say it is then wouldn’t he have gotten a job a long time ago?

It’s not like it’s my original thought. It’s been a talking point for years.

It’s also been discussed ad nauseam that there was clearly other factors at play.

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2023, 02:18 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s also been discussed ad nauseam,
that there was clearly other factors at play.

Not sure what point you’re trying to make here, but hey cool, you don’t agree with that point of view. It’s a good thing we’re in a place that allows that :)
Reply/Quote
Good for him. It's a damn shame he hasn't gotten his chance yet.
Reply/Quote
Bieniemy has to move on if he ever wants a legit chance to prove himself and become a head coach. Everyone knows that is Andy Reid's offense and he calls the plays. Its also much easier to be successful when you have guys like Mahomes and Kelce in that offense so what is Bieniemy's big contribution?
Reply/Quote
Well we can maybe end this discussion in a few years. Let’s hope they get him at least some adequate players to try with. Doubt they find a Mahomes any time soon.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 09:08 PM)basballguy Wrote: I guess since Andy Reid isn't retiring he's gotta find something.  

I thought all the "Bieniemy should be a HC" chatter was silly considering he didn't call plays in KC.  Granted, most of that chatter was just Mike Florio.  

I guess now we'll get to see what he's made of....assuming Rivera lets him call plays (and it looks like he will).  I hope he succeeds but would not be surprised at all if he fails.  15 teams passed on him as a HC for a reason.  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35681863/sources-washington-commanders-offer-oc-job-eric-bieniemy

Also looks like he got a slight promotion so it wasn't a complete lateral move.  

On PFT they mentioned KC didn't want to match the years or dollars he was getting.

Neither did Matt Nagy or Doug Pederson when they were with the Chiefs. Zac Taylor didn't call plays for the Rams. Sirianni didn't call plays for the Colts. Kevin O'Connell didn't call plays for the Rams. Hackett didn't call plays for the Packers. 

Notice anything those guys have in common that none of them have in common with EB?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2023, 12:21 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Neither did Matt Nagy or Doug Pederson when they were with the Chiefs. Zac Taylor didn't call plays for the Rams. Sirianni didn't call plays for the Colts. Kevin O'Connell didn't call plays for the Rams. Hackett didn't call plays for the Packers. 

Notice anything those guys have in common that none of them have in common with EB?

Are you really citing coaches that had terrible runs as a HC (so far)? Come on lol you’re only making the case for that point.

And comparing Sean mcvays coordinators to Reid’s is apples and oranges.

We will see pretty quickly what impact Bieniemy has on an offense.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2023, 05:19 AM)basballguy Wrote: Are you really citing coaches that had terrible runs as a HC (so far)?  Come on lol you’re only making the case for that point.

And comparing Sean mcvays coordinators to Reid’s is apples and oranges.  

We will see pretty quickly what impact Bieniemy has on an offense.

Doug Pederson won a super bowl with one team and justt took another team to the playoffs. Sirianni just played in a super bowl. O'Connell made the playoffs last year. Zac Taylor played in the super bowl and in 2 straight AFCCGs.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2023, 12:16 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Doug Pederson won a super bowl with one team and justt took another team to the playoffs. Sirianni just played in a super bowl. O'Connell made the playoffs last year. Zac Taylor played in the super bowl and in 2 straight AFCCGs.

I can’t tell if you’re arguing just to argue or being serious.

In case your serious, the argument is Andy Reid is the brains behind the offense.

When you cite examples of other coordinators that failed for years after leaving Reid….and then coordinators from other teams that were successful…then you just continue to hit the point home. Now I’m Pedersons case, he left and was still successful but so were the chiefs. Nagy is just a terrible example.

ZT always got some credit under McVay. When everyone credits KCs offense who are they crediting? It’s not Bieniemy.

Since you’re adamant it’s not this…then how about you toss your ideas?
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2023, 12:21 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Neither did Matt Nagy or Doug Pederson when they were with the Chiefs. Zac Taylor didn't call plays for the Rams. Sirianni didn't call plays for the Colts. Kevin O'Connell didn't call plays for the Rams. Hackett didn't call plays for the Packers. 

(02-20-2023, 12:16 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Doug Pederson won a super bowl with one team and justt took another team to the playoffs. Sirianni just played in a super bowl. O'Connell made the playoffs last year. Zac Taylor played in the super bowl and in 2 straight AFCCGs.

Pretty much all this. It always starts with "Bieniemy doesn't call the plays". Then when you give a laundry list of HCs that also didn't call plays as a coordinator the goalposts move. It might be that those coordinators didn't have success. Then you can point to Head Coaches like Taylor and Sirianni and *poof* goalposts moving. 

I won't say that it is 100% because of the color of his skin. But the quantifiable/objective reasons for him to be passed up after all this time are nigh nonexistent. The most objective reasoning is decades-old legal troubles, which bear some scrutiny. And honestly the pressure that Bieniemy will be under, knowing what the consequences might be if he were to fail as a HC might also give owners pause.

But to act like Bieniemy hasn't earned the same shot that other HCs have gotten, failures or not, is borderline delusional at this point. 
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2023, 12:51 PM)basballguy Wrote: I can’t tell if you’re arguing just to argue or being serious.

You claimed it was silly because he didn't call plays. I cited several instances of guys that didn't call plays but became HCs and then how successful some of them have been.

It was a very simple tit for tat. 

You are now trying to move the goalposts and i'm not interested in talking in circles.

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2023, 12:51 PM)basballguy Wrote:  When everyone credits KCs offense who are they crediting?  It’s not Bieniemy.

EVERYONE inside the Chiefs organization credits Bieniemy. Several gave very specific instances of things he did in the SB. 

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2023, 01:18 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Pretty much all this. It always starts with "Bieniemy doesn't call the plays". Then when you give a laundry list of HCs that also didn't call plays as a coordinator the goalposts move. It might be that those coordinators didn't have success. Then you can point to Head Coaches like Taylor and Sirianni and *poof* goalposts moving. 

I won't say that it is 100% because of the color of his skin. But the quantifiable/objective reasons for him to be passed up after all this time are nigh nonexistent. The most objective reasoning is decades-old legal troubles, which bear some scrutiny. And honestly the pressure that Bieniemy will be under, knowing what the consequences might be if he were to fail as a HC might also give owners pause.

But to act like Bieniemy hasn't earned the same shot that other HCs have gotten, failures or not, is borderline delusional at this point. 

I agree. I've never interviewed the guy but he may not be very good at it?

And there's definitely some hesitation with his background and some of the issues he's had with players in the past--notably Kelce and Mahomes. His past is very well documented and would give most owners/gms a bit of pause. 

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2023, 03:12 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: EVERYONE inside the Chiefs organization credits Bieniemy. Several gave very specific instances of things he did in the SB. 

I'm not inside KC's organization so all i can say is what I hear Mahomes and Kelce say.  The times I've heard them talk about it they're crediting Reid, not Bieniemy.  

However, my original OP was a bit weak and I didn't mean to sound like moving the goal posts.  I do think Reid is the mastermind and EB was along for the ride though.  Happy to be wrong, I also think the skins are due for some success and hope they get it soon.  
Reply/Quote
Gonna leave this here

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/21/lesean-mccoy-im-rooting-for-eric-bieniemy-but-he-had-nothing-to-do-with-chiefs-pass-game/
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2023, 01:18 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Pretty much all this. It always starts with "Bieniemy doesn't call the plays". Then when you give a laundry list of HCs that also didn't call plays as a coordinator the goalposts move. It might be that those coordinators didn't have success. Then you can point to Head Coaches like Taylor and Sirianni and *poof* goalposts moving. 

I won't say that it is 100% because of the color of his skin.
But the quantifiable/objective reasons for him to be passed up after all this time are nigh nonexistent. The most objective reasoning is decades-old legal troubles, which bear some scrutiny. And honestly the pressure that Bieniemy will be under, knowing what the consequences might be if he were to fail as a HC might also give owners pause.

I'll say it's 100% NOT the color of his skin. When an owner is looking for a Head Coach, they are looking for someone to come in and set the tone and the culture. Would you really want this guy setting the tone and culture in your locker room???

Quote:
  • February 1998: According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Colorado police arrested Bieniemy and teammate Kanavis McGhee after a bar fight. Bieniemy was charged with disorderly conduct and fighting in public, but he pleaded no contest. He and McGhee received deferred sentences and performed court-mandated community service.
  • July 4, 1990: According to the Orlando Sentinel, Bienemy pleaded no contest after allegedly shoving a firefighter. The University of Colorado Boulder suspended Bieniemy for one game in the upcoming season.
  • September 1993: Colorado police arrested Bieniemy, then in the NFL. The Orlando Sentinel reports that Bieniemy allegedly grabbed a female parking attendant by the neck and threatened her. The University of Colorado Boulder banned Bieniemy from its campus for one year as a result.
  • April 2001: According to the Daily Bruin, Colorado police arrested Bieniemy on a DUI charge, three months after he joined the football staff as a running back coach. He previously had his driver’s license suspended after numerous violations. 
  • Bieniemy was also linked to allegations that Colorado’s football program “used alcohol and sex to lure recruits.” ESPN reported in 2004 that the university discovered there was evidence of drugs and alcohol being used to “entice recruits,” but no university officials were guilty of misconduct.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 10:54 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'll say it's 100% NOT the color of his skin. When an owner is looking for a Head Coach, they are looking for someone to come in and set the tone and the culture. Would you really want this guy setting the tone and culture in your locker room???

Mike Vrabel is doing fine in Tennesee after his decades old run ins with the law for assaultive behavior. His locker room seems to be just fine too. 

Matt Patricia got his chance after being indicted (decades ago, like Bieniemy) for aggravated sexual assault.

Maybe if Bieniemy was just from the Belichick coaching tree right?

Believe what you want, nothing on an anonymous message board is really going to sway you, but saying that it is 100% not that Bieniemy is black while white coaches with the same red flags as Bieniemy have gotten their shot is pretty harebrained. 
Reply/Quote