Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Big, BIG Balls!!!
Fellas, I first noticed it in the JAX game and it has become even more clear now. Our guy , Jake, has IT !  "IT" is that intangible that all successful NFL QB's have. Whether it's Burrow, Brady, Montana, Esiason, Rodgers, Mahomes, or any other highly success QB in the history of the league. They all have a confidence, bordering on arrogance. They are not afraid of the big moment. In fact, they usually thrive in the biggest moments of a game. For example, the Bengals have that terrible play/throw by Boyd for the pick six in the Jacksonville game, yet Browning leads them back from a deficit and a OT win. We gave up the lead in a bad two minutes of the first half against Indy and what does Browning do?  Two straight TD drives to begin the second half.  More late heroics in the Minnesota game. We go down late and Jake leads us down the field for a game-tying TD  with less than a minute remaining.

Folks, in order to win in this league, a QB has to be fearless, has to be confident, almost to the point of being arrogant. In other words, a winning QB in the NFL must have big, BIG balls!  I present to you, Jake Browning, a guy with a pair as big as grapefruits!!! I'm not saying Jake is a Burrow, Brady, or Montana. What I am saying is that he does possess the big set of balls that all those guys all had.  If you don't have a pair of " big boys, you ain't winning nothing in this league.

Agree?  
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
When I saw the thread title, my first thought was...'oh no, it's Naked Andy all over again!'  LOL
Reply/Quote
It’s my belief
That my big balls
Should be held
Every night

Had to be done…
Go Benton Panthers!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2023, 08:12 AM)SladeX Wrote: It’s my belief
That my big balls
Should be held
Every night

Had to be done…

this song had immediately started playing in my head when entering this thread
Reply/Quote
Oh no.... Andy's magnificent Dong 2.0....
Reply/Quote
He started chucking bombs right when burrow went out, my immediate thought was it made me think Burrow is being too safe.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2023, 09:26 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: He started chucking bombs right when burrow went out, my immediate thought was it made me think Burrow is being too safe.

Browning doesn't appear to be able to read the safeties specifically if there is any pre to post snap adjustments. Seeing how many throws he's missed against some of these teams makes me wonder if teams aren't respecting us the way they would with Burrow. He does have good confidence and doesn't get fazed by big moments as well as having pretty good accuracy even on the move. Perhaps the game is a bit too fast for him still and he can start to read the safeties better as he gets more experience. 
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2023, 10:42 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Browning doesn't appear to be able to read the safeties specifically if there is any pre to post snap adjustments. Seeing how many throws he's missed against some of these teams makes me wonder if teams aren't respecting us the way they would with Burrow. He does have good confidence and doesn't get fazed by big moments as well as having pretty good accuracy even on the move. Perhaps the game is a bit too fast for him still and he can start to read the safeties better as he gets more experience. 

How many throws has he missed?
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2023, 11:48 AM)sandwedge Wrote: How many throws has he missed?

Against Pitt and Minnesota they appeared to be asking him to do more of what Burrow does which is just drop back and read the play and go. Which he struggles to read the safeties so he can make bad reads if the safeties change looks after the snap. So he missed more throws in those two games that I saw, Chase for instance had 2 hand up I'm open touchdowns that he missed one of those was from the Minnesota 20 yd line on the very 1st drive. I believe it was on his pick they either showed cover 2 or switched to it meaning middle of the field open. Browning didn't see it and threw it to the boundary for a pick meanwhile Higgins was running literally all alone across the middle. Maybe the game is a bit fast for him right now or maybe he's just trying to get to a safe throw as fast as possible but he is missing either big plays or where the ball should go based on coverage. Goodberrys Bengals on the Brain is an excellent breakdown that you can find on Twitter or youtube.
Reply/Quote
Can you fellas think of a hugely successful QB in the NFL, past or present, who DIDN'T have the "IT" factor? That is, confidence bordering on arrogance, backed up by a huge set of Naughty Bags?

Who's more lucky, after all, Jake or Stephanie Niles?
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
What NUGDUKWE says is correct. JT points these things out pretty well so I just hope opposing D's don't adjust to some weaknesses and shut him down totally. Of course Zac, Brian and Jake should have answers for their adjustments. The old move-countermove game.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2023, 11:59 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Against Pitt and Minnesota they appeared to be asking him to do more of what Burrow does which is just drop back and read the play and go. Which he struggles to read the safeties so he can make bad reads if the safeties change looks after the snap. So he missed more throws in those two games that I saw, Chase for instance had 2 hand up I'm open touchdowns that he missed one of those was from the Minnesota 20 yd line on the very 1st drive. I believe it was on his pick they either showed cover 2 or switched to it meaning middle of the field open. Browning didn't see it and threw it to the boundary for a pick meanwhile Higgins was running literally all alone across the middle. Maybe the game is a bit fast for him right now or maybe he's just trying to get to a safe throw as fast as possible but he is missing either big plays or where the ball should go based on coverage. Goodberrys Bengals on the Brain is an excellent breakdown that you can find on Twitter or youtube.

Minnesota did play middle field open, but that is really referring to just the safety alignment. Middle field closed is a single safety back playing deep, typically starting in the middle of the field. Middle field open means you have a split safety look so there is a gap between them. It doesn't literally mean that the middle of the field is open. Traditionally you will see hook defenders capturing that short/intermediate middle. 

Minnesota played risky ball and blitzed a defender out of their zone and didn't replace them, which left a void where Higgins was. You don't often see teams blitz out of zone due to this issue. They may send a guy and then drop an edge player into a replacement zone so they are still only rushing four. This is called a simulated pressure. So, on this play, Minnesota rushed five and voided a zone which left Higgins open on the backside. 

For Browning, he is doing a high-low read. It's a smash concept with Hudson going into the flat (low) and Irv running a corner (high). The idea is to put their outside defender under pressure by making him choose where to go. He ended up playing a little deep and I think he was a cloud defender, but that is who Browning is reading. If that defender runs up to the flat, you throw the corner. If he follows the corner deep, you throw the flat. Easy stuff. The defender took a false step towards the flat and Browning threw the corner but it was just a mistake all around. Even if he had crashed down on the flat I think Harrison picks it off. He should have thrown the flat or if he wanted to continue his progression he could have made his way back to Tee, but he was on the backside and not the primary read. 

I'm not saying you're wrong, for clarity. Just providing more color. He could have picked up on Minnesota sending five and checked the backside for Higgins, but this is exactly what Minnesota does to QBs, especially inexperienced ones. They are incredibly aggressive, the most aggressive in the league and they are fine taking those risks to get a guy turned around. It was set up to be a really tough game for him. He came alive late, though. 
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2023, 01:12 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Minnesota did play middle field open, but that is really referring to just the safety alignment. Middle field closed is a single safety back playing deep, typically starting in the middle of the field. Middle field open means you have a split safety look so there is a gap between them. It doesn't literally mean that the middle of the field is open. Traditionally you will see hook defenders capturing that short/intermediate middle. 

Minnesota played risky ball and blitzed a defender out of their zone and didn't replace them, which left a void where Higgins was. You don't often see teams blitz out of zone due to this issue. They may send a guy and then drop an edge player into a replacement zone so they are still only rushing four. This is called a simulated pressure. So, on this play, Minnesota rushed five and voided a zone which left Higgins open on the backside. 

For Browning, he is doing a high-low read. It's a smash concept with Hudson going into the flat (low) and Irv running a corner (high). The idea is to put their outside defender under pressure by making him choose where to go. He ended up playing a little deep and I think he was a cloud defender, but that is who Browning is reading. If that defender runs up to the flat, you throw the corner. If he follows the corner deep, you throw the flat. Easy stuff. The defender took a false step towards the flat and Browning threw the corner but it was just a mistake all around. Even if he had crashed down on the flat I think Harrison picks it off. He should have thrown the flat or if he wanted to continue his progression he could have made his way back to Tee, but he was on the backside and not the primary read. 

I'm not saying you're wrong, for clarity. Just providing more color. He could have picked up on Minnesota sending five and checked the backside for Higgins, but this is exactly what Minnesota does to QBs, especially inexperienced ones. They are incredibly aggressive, the most aggressive in the league and they are fine taking those risks to get a guy turned around. It was set up to be a really tough game for him. He came alive late, though. 

I wasn't saying they are always open or not depending on coverage but it does tell you what should be open or not. Browning will never look away from the area that should be open pre snap if there is a change post snap to what would be the open area. On the play to Higgins I can't remember if they showed the look or rolled into it and yeah it may have been a half field read. But you still have to know if the coverage is allowing your half field read or not. Blitzing out of zone looks may be why we are seeing so many open players down the field. Just seems like both Higgins and Chase had multiple plays running past a flat footed safety that Burrow would rarely get.
Reply/Quote
Stop adding sauce to the steak (Browning), we already have a QB and don't need a QB controversy, he won't even be around if he wins out all the way.....
We just paid Burrow too, so he'll be around.

In regards to your thread, everything you say is true, which is cool..................for all.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2023, 02:10 AM)Science Friction Wrote: Fellas, I first noticed it in the JAX game and it has become even more clear now. Our guy , Jake, has IT !  "IT" is that intangible that all successful NFL QB's have. Whether it's Burrow, Brady, Montana, Esiason, Rodgers, Mahomes, or any other highly success QB in the history of the league. They all have a confidence, bordering on arrogance. They are not afraid of the big moment. In fact, they usually thrive in the biggest moments of a game. For example, the Bengals have that terrible play/throw by Boyd for the pick six in the Jacksonville game, yet Browning leads them back from a deficit and a OT win. We gave up the lead in a bad two minutes of the first half against Indy and what does Browning do?  Two straight TD drives to begin the second half.  More late heroics in the Minnesota game. We go down late and Jake leads us down the field for a game-tying TD  with less than a minute remaining.

Folks, in order to win in this league, a QB has to be fearless, has to be confident, almost to the point of being arrogant. In other words, a winning QB in the NFL must have big, BIG balls!  I present to you, Jake Browning, a guy with a pair as big as grapefruits!!! I'm not saying Jake is a Burrow, Brady, or Montana. What I am saying is that he does possess the big set of balls that all those guys all had.  If you don't have a pair of " big boys, you ain't winning nothing in this league.

Agree?  

Of course I agree. Big moments in big games don't rattle him, we saw that in Jacksonville and we saw it against Indy and Minny.

We will see how well Jake plays tomorrow against the one Defense that gave him trouble. I think he will play with a chip on his shoulder
and take offense at how he played in the first game. Browning is much more comfortable in this Offense than he was in the first game, but
we need to go back to more under Center play and less of the Gun once again. Cause I agree with Nug that Browning has a bit of trouble 
reading the Safeties at times still.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2023, 11:48 AM)sandwedge Wrote: How many throws has he missed?

I've been enjoying the deep dive All-22 breakdowns that Joe Goodberry and J.T. O'Sullivan have been doing over the season. They've got some on Browning (Goodberry's latest one from the Vikings game in particular), and it is frankly amazing how many throws/reads/deeper open receivers Browning missed early in that game. (J.T.'s breakdown also incidentally highlighted what an absolute dumpster fire Joe Mixon is in pass protection.) 

Not an overall diss at Browning at all; been enjoying the unexpected ride he's taking us on to the fullest, but it is eye-opening how much goes in to making the right reads pre and post snap and how I should probably be giving Zach's schemes a bit more credit, even if passes aren't being completed deep and points aren't being scored all the time. Also makes me appreciate Burrow's super power of reading D's like an open book that much more. 

Worth a watch if you haven't checked it out yet: 

Joe Goodberry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BftQymSfe9Y

J.T. O'Sullivan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUDi9KY-p_w
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2023, 02:10 AM)Science Friction Wrote: Fellas, I first noticed it in the JAX game and it has become even more clear now. Our guy , Jake, has IT !  "IT" is that intangible that all successful NFL QB's have. Whether it's Burrow, Brady, Montana, Esiason, Rodgers, Mahomes, or any other highly success QB in the history of the league. They all have a confidence, bordering on arrogance. They are not afraid of the big moment. In fact, they usually thrive in the biggest moments of a game. For example, the Bengals have that terrible play/throw by Boyd for the pick six in the Jacksonville game, yet Browning leads them back from a deficit and a OT win. We gave up the lead in a bad two minutes of the first half against Indy and what does Browning do?  Two straight TD drives to begin the second half.  More late heroics in the Minnesota game. We go down late and Jake leads us down the field for a game-tying TD  with less than a minute remaining.

Agree?  

You put Esiason in there? How many comeback wins did he have total?
Reply/Quote