Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals best "project" draft pick.
This is not about drafting guys from small colleges.  This is about guys who barely played any college football or changed positions when they came to the NFL.

Ken Riley played QB at Florida A&M before being taken n the 6th round by the Bengals in 1969.  He ended his career number 4 all-time in interceptions in the NFL.

Stacy Andrews only played a handful of snaps in his one season of football at Mississippi.  Before that he was a weight thrower on the track team.  He was a fourth round pick and started 32 games at OT for the Bengals.

Melvin Tuten was a TE at Syracuse, but was mainly used as a blocker during the three years that he lettered.  He also played on the Syracuse basketball team in '94-95. After being selected in the 3rd round by the Bengals in 1995 he became an OT.  He started 9 games in two years with the Bengals.  He caught two passes for the Bengals including one TD  his rookie season.

Tommie Smith was never drafted by the Bengals, but after winning a Gold Medal at the '68 Olympics and setting a World Record in the 200 meter dash he signed with the Bengals.  He only caught one pass in his NFL career, but it went for 41 yards.

But  can you name the former Bengals who began his college career on a basketball scholarship, switched to track, and then only played one year of football before being drafted by the Bengals?  He went on to become a 2X Pro Bowler and First Team All-Pro.

Anyone else know of any former Bengals who came from other sports or played different positions in college?
Reply/Quote
Isaac Curtis?
Reply/Quote
Reggie McNeal was a pretty damn good QB at Texas A&M.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2016, 01:12 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This is not about drafting guys from small colleges.  This is about guys who barely played any college football or changed positions when they came to the NFL.

Ken Riley played QB at Florida A&M before being taken n the 6th round by the Bengals in 1969.  He ended his career number 4 all-time in interceptions in the NFL.

Stacy Andrews only played a handful of snaps in his one season of football at Mississippi.  Before that he was a weight thrower on the track team.  He was a fourth round pick and started 32 games at OT for the Bengals.

Melvin Tuten was a TE at Syracuse, but was mainly used as a blocker during the three years that he lettered.  He also played on the Syracuse basketball team in '94-95. After being selected in the 3rd round by the Bengals in 1995 he became an OT.  He started 9 games in two years with the Bengals.  He caught two passes for the Bengals including one TD  his rookie season.

Tommie Smith was never drafted by the Bengals, but after winning a Gold Medal at the '68 Olympics and setting a World Record in the 200 meter dash he signed with the Bengals.  He only caught one pass in his NFL career, but it went for 41 yards.

But  can you name the former Bengals who began his college career on a basketball scholarship, switched to track, and then only played one year of football before being drafted by the Bengals?  He went on to become a 2X Pro Bowler and First Team All-Pro.

Anyone else know of any former Bengals who came from other sports or played different positions in college?

Interesting thread.  I know Matt Jones started the NFL as a Jaguar, but he played college QB, and basketball, at Arkansas and ended up being the #21 pick in the draft due to his unbelievable combine.  

I see a similar scenario with Braxton Miller, as he was drafted high in Rd 2.  

I tried to think of high draft picks that were asked to change their position, but I couldn't really come up with any other Bengals.  I knew Deltha O'Neal started his career as a tailback, but was acquired in a trade.  

I'm guessing it is someone from over 20 years ago
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Bennie Brazell I think was more of a track guy that played a little football when we drafted him
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2016, 01:12 AM)fredtoast Wrote: But  can you name the former Bengals who began his college career on a basketball scholarship, switched to track, and then only played one year of football before being drafted by the Bengals?  He went on to become a 2X Pro Bowler and First Team All-Pro.

Paul Robinson Played basketball for two years at Eastern Arizona Junior College.  He then ran track for 2 years at University of Arizona setting a school record in the 440 yard intermediate hurdles.  He didn't play football until his 5th year of college and he didn't get a single carry until the third game of the season.  But he played well enough for the Bengal to take him in the third round of the '68 draft.

He lead the league in rushing yards and touchdowns as a rookie.
Reply/Quote
I figured it was either a WR or RB, but couldn't come up with one. Nice thread.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2016, 08:29 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Reggie McNeal was a pretty damn good QB at Texas A&M.

Good one. Was supposed to be our Randle El. 
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2016, 09:51 PM)bonesaw Wrote: Bennie Brazell I think was more of a track guy that played a little football when we drafted him

I remember all of the preseason buzz about this guy.  If memory serves me correct he ended up on IR for the whole year and then was cut the following preseason. 

Anywho, I remember the Bengals drafting Jason Shirley and trying to move him to offensive line, but that project was short-lived.  
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2016, 09:28 AM)NKYRob Wrote: I remember all of the preseason buzz about this guy.  If memory serves me correct he ended up on IR for the whole year and then was cut the following preseason. 

Anywho, I remember the Bengals drafting Jason Shirley and trying to move him to offensive line, but that project was short-lived.  

yeah but if it would have worked...

Not really a project but we had a DE they wanted to use as a TE (only because all the TEs were hurt)  Chris Harrington I believe.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2016, 04:39 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Isaac Curtis?

I do believe he was a talented RB in College.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Two of our best DBs ever were All American RBs in college. One also played DB in college while the other did not play defense.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2016, 08:21 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Good one. Was supposed to be our Randle El. 

I  believe McNeal was the most popular pick after the 06 draft was over.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote