Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Line vs Athletic Line
Which do you think is better?

I'm of the opinion that the bigger the Olineman, the better the results. I envy the Dallas O Line of last year and the Pitt OLine... the guys are huge.

There was a while a few years back when teams were really focused on athletic OTs. However, I feel that many of the 'Athletic' OTs have busted... OgB being our attempt at an 'Athletic' OT.

What do you guys think?

I wonder if Big Whit was considered 'Athletic' when he came out, or just a big OT.

I didn't get to see last weekends game but watched the Gio highlights, it looks like Westerman and the new guy are a bit bigger.. is this true?

I feel our line is generally smaller than others in the league... is this true?

I want Big and Nasty, but feel our oline is 'athletic' and 'swift' which isn't equating to success.
Reply/Quote
How about we just go with Aggressive OL, as opposed to "Finesse"?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Skilled and Athletic.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I prefer a big, athletic line Wink
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 07:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: How about we just go with Aggressive OL, as opposed to "Finesse"?

I'll put you down for Big Line because that is what I'm hearing you saying.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 08:56 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I'll put you down for Big Line because that is what I'm hearing you saying.

Well, to be aggressive doesn't always mean that they have to be huge.  Take Mark Schlerith for example.  He was one of the nastiest players to ever play Guard, and he was "average" for a Guard, at best.  Now, on the other hand, Richie Incognito is large, and very aggressive.  And I think he was just named All-Pro.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Our best lines have been made up of bigger guys.
Reply/Quote
What good teams have smallish lines? The Packers maybe? Are the Packers good because of their o-line? 
Reply/Quote
Why do they have to big OR athletic?

Why can't we just have a good OL with good linemen in it?

The linemen do need to be able to pull and block a moving target, something Bodine cannot do and I've seen Ogbuehi whiff on several blocks.

Neither Bodine or Ogbuehi are power guys either. Bodine gets blown back, isn't athletic and can't move a NG off the ball. And I've seen some extra large welfare women who look like they man handle Ogbuehi without too much trouble.

Reply/Quote
Gimme both.

Let's start with 2 guys in the draft:

Quentin Nelson, athletic and big - 325lbs
Billy Price, athletic and big - 315lbs

We'll be running the ball in no time.
Reply/Quote
Big and mean... Our line had 0 aggression...
Reply/Quote
I would love a massive roadgrader like Bobbie Williams or Big Willie type on the line.

Just being able to line up and blow the DLine back 4-5 yards on 1st down is massive and opens up the playbook.

For too long this season it feels like Lazor has been having to work around the fact we cannot move people on 1st down so if a couple of 330+lb monsters gives us that I'll sign up!

(I remember the difference when Whit went to OG for a couple of games some time ago..he was just smashing people in the run game)
Reply/Quote
BIG
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 06:33 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Which do you think is better?

I'm of the opinion that the bigger the Olineman, the better the results. I envy the Dallas O Line of last year and the Pitt OLine... the guys are huge.

There was a while a few years back when teams were really focused on athletic OTs. However, I feel that many of the 'Athletic' OTs have busted... OgB being our attempt at an 'Athletic' OT.

What do you guys think?

I wonder if Big Whit was considered 'Athletic' when he came out, or just a big OT.

I didn't get to see last weekends game but watched the Gio highlights, it looks like Westerman and the new guy are a bit bigger.. is this true?

I feel our line is generally smaller than others in the league... is this true?

I want Big and Nasty, but feel our oline is 'athletic' and 'swift' which isn't equating to success.

You want Nasty Nate Livings?  Is that you Piano Man? Nervous Ninja

Seriously though, if I was building a line, I would want big with an attitude of a grizzly bear if I'm stocking an oline.  You do need some athleticism to be able to handle the speed edge rushers in today's game, but give me a Butterbean with the footwork of Sugar Ray Leonard at OT....and a buncha bar room brawlers in the middle.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 09:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, to be aggressive doesn't always mean that they have to be huge.  Take Mark Schlerith for example.  He was one of the nastiest players to ever play Guard, and he was "average" for a Guard, at best.  Now, on the other hand, Richie Incognito is large, and very aggressive.  And I think he was just named All-Pro.

Yeh, Incognito...when the Bills acquired him, I wanted him badly, but one certain guy who used to be here and knew everything said we absolutely didn't want him, all because he sent some 300 pound wuss of a team mate to the showers by bullying him?? Now, the other guy is long out of the league, and Incognito is all-pro. Meanwhile, back to the question, I think you can have both, big AND athletic. Bengals have an amazing ability to find some of the biggest non-athletes I've ever seen, not the least of the big loser who was "coached up " by us and signed a big contract with the Cowboys and hasn't been heard from again. The first thing we need is a real line coach who can get the best out of what we have already who can spot talent and add it via the draft to build for the future. An example of big and athletic besides Incognito would be that Moses kid on the Redskins who can scare defenders by just standing in front of them, but can also pull. I really think we can have both.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 11:43 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Why do they have to big OR athletic?

Why can't we just have a good OL with good linemen in it?

The linemen do need to be able to pull and block a moving target, something Bodine cannot do and I've seen Ogbuehi whiff on several blocks.

Neither Bodine or Ogbuehi are power guys either. Bodine gets blown back, isn't athletic and can't move a NG off the ball. And I've seen some extra large welfare women who look like they man handle Ogbuehi without too much trouble.

Yeah, what kind of paint you into a corner question is this? There are plenty of o-linemen that are big and athletic. We just need a better coach and better investment in lineman and stop treating them like they're the least important part of the team.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 10:57 AM)Bengalsrob Wrote: Yeh, Incognito...when the Bills acquired him, I wanted him badly, but one certain guy who used to be here and knew everything said we absolutely didn't want him, all because he sent some 300 pound wuss of a team mate to the showers by bullying him?? Now, the other guy is long out of the league, and Incognito is all-pro. Meanwhile, back to the question, I think you can have both, big AND athletic. Bengals have an amazing ability to find some of the biggest non-athletes I've ever seen, not the least of the big loser who was "coached up " by us and signed a big contract with the Cowboys and hasn't been heard from again. The first thing we need is a real line coach who can get the best out of what we have already who can spot talent and add it via the draft to build for the future. An example of big and athletic besides Incognito would be that Moses kid on the Redskins who can scare defenders by just standing in front of them, but can also pull. I really think we can have both.

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=5089552]

Reply/Quote
A HUGE line of beasts that would give us the #1 rushing attack.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 10:28 AM)Wyche Wrote: You want Nasty Nate Livings?  Is that you Piano Man? Nervous Ninja

Seriously though, if I was building a line, I would want big with an attitude of a grizzly bear if I'm stocking an oline.  You do need some athleticism to be able to handle the speed edge rushers in today's game, but give me a Butterbean with the footwork of Sugar Ray Leonard at OT....and a buncha bar room brawlers in the middle.

Maybe sumo wrestlers?
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 11:13 AM)Interceptor Wrote: Maybe sumo wrestlers?

Hey....not a bad plan! Smirk

Reply/Quote