Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Night for Ja'Marr Chase
We know JC is currently in great shape for Offense ROY. He’s on pace to catch for over 1500 yards; this will break a rookie record that has stood for 51 years and 13 TD’s will tie him for 2nd all time

But tonight his 2 biggest competitors take center stage in the National Spotlight

Kyle Pitts is on pace for 1150 yards which will break a record that has stood for 50 years and 75 catches will be 2nd all time

Mac Jones has a given advantage because he plays QB for a high profile team. His stats aren’t all that impressive, but if he keeps status quo and makes the playoffs after the Pats had a losing record last year; he’ll be a threat
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2021, 09:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We know JC is currently in great shape for Offense ROY. He’s on pace to catch for over 1500 yards; this will break a rookie record that has stood for 51 years and 13 TD’s will tie him for 2nd all time

But tonight his 2 biggest competitors take center stage in the National Spotlight

Kyle Pitts is on pace for 1150 yards which will break a record that has stood for 50 years and 75 catches will be 2nd all time

Mac Jones has a given advantage because he plays QB for a high profile team. His stats aren’t all that impressive, but if he keeps status quo and makes the playoffs after the Pats had a losing record last year; he’ll be a threat

Agreed. I think Mac may actually have the inside track for winning ROTY. He has been playing really, really well over the last several weeks (#7 QB in the league since week five by EPA per play). If he keeps that pace and the Patriots make the playoffs, Mac will be ROTY.
Reply/Quote
Not trying to disrespect Chase at all, but I didn't really expect him to keep up the pace he had after 7 games (107.7 per games 21.5 per reception).

Ja'Marr is an elite WR. If he stays healthy he should be a consistent ProBowl/All-Pro type player. But I don't really expect the greatest season in NFL history his rookie year. Only 2 NFL players (Roy Green '84, Tory Holt '00) have had 1500 receiving yards (93.4 per game) and averaged over 19 per catch. It has been 58 years (Bobby Mitchell '63) since an NFL receiver averaged 100 yards per game and 20 per catch.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2021, 09:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not trying to disrespect Chase at all, but I didn't really expect him to keep up the pace he had after 7 games (107.7 per games 21.5 per reception).

Ja'Marr is an elite WR. If he stays healthy he should be a consistent ProBowl/All-Pro type player. But I don't really expect the greatest season in NFL history his rookie year. Only 2 NFL players (Roy Green '84, Tory Holt '00) have had 1500 receiving yards (93.4 per game) and averaged over 19 per catch. It has been 58 years (Bobby Mitchell '63) since an NFL receiver averaged 100 yards per game and 20 per catch.

I’d be content with best Bengals Rookie WR season.
Reply/Quote
I doubt Chase wins it because Jones is playing QB for the Pats. If Jones has a slightly above-average season there, it would take breaking every rookie receiving record (and a few others) for Chase to beat him. It sucks, but it is true.

Chase has admitted to looking at the stats of all the other rookie WRs (said it motivates him), and I hope Jones being Captain Checkdown and not making any big mistakes against a pathetic Falcons team motivates him.

Per Fred's statement, it is a bit unrealistic to expect him to keep up 108 yards per game, but I do believe his 20 YPC is going to stay fairly close to that. It is what he has done his entire football career at every level. The fact that teams are adjusting to his presences only further highlights his impact to the team. I think the Bengals will have spent a lot of time this bye week adopting to the rotating defenses against him.

As many have noticed, though, whenever Joe sees Ja'Marr singled up, he will likely take his shots. I love to see it.
Reply/Quote
As good as chase has been it’s Jones to lose. And that blows
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 10:12 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: As good as chase has been it’s Jones to lose. And that blows

Let's see how accurate boy with no arm strength or mobility fares in the cold weather games.  They do have Indy in the dome late in the year, and their road game against MIami is in Jan (thanks' NFL, be sure to wipe your chin on the way out of the Pat's office).

I hope Tennessee does what no one else seems willing to do to him, which is stuff the line to slow their run game and challenge all the short and intermediate routes. 

Sure, that sounds way easier than it is, as Daniels is a master for rub routes and patterns that uncover quickly and Jones is hardly ever pressured.  That's why I though Dalton was an ideal match for them years ago when he was run out of Cincy. 

Regardless, I hope the Pats get knocked back in to mediocrity and out of the playoff picture, but their formula of tough defense, a good rush attack, and short timed passes looks tough to beat right now because, in fairness, they execute it so well.  

Wish they faced Balt this year.  
Reply/Quote
You guys are forgetting the true number 1 non qb contender in Najee Harris who is set to outpace all non qb's in total yards. The start of the season when Chase was the darling seems ages ago.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I think Jones just pulled into the lead. He's been fire the last few weeks and the QB of a team with a coach that gives them a legit shot if a deep playoff run. He wont need a sexy stat line.

Unless the Bengals can turn things around and Chase continues to light things up it's not looking good for a rookie of the year.

We may have to be content with the fact that the Bengals look to have hit a homerun here with the draft pick and ultimately thats all that really matters.

We have an outstanding trio at receiver and good RB and great QB. Put together an OL and this is going to be an unstoppable O next year.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 10:34 AM)jj22 Wrote: You guys are forgetting the true number 1 non qb contender in Najee Harris who is set to outpace all non qb's in total yards. The start of the season when Chase was the darling seems ages ago.

Najee Harris isn't winning it. He isn't playing that well, though it isn't entirely his fault. 
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 11:00 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Najee Harris isn't winning it. He isn't playing that well, though it isn't entirely his fault. 

Najee is their offense. On the ground and through the air. Their only threat. I disagree, and his numbers don't lie. He if it would go to a non qb would be right up there.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 11:02 AM)jj22 Wrote: Najee is their offense. On the ground and through the air. Their only threat. I disagree, and his numbers don't lie. He if it would go to a non qb would be right up there.

Well, he stinks on the ground but again, that isn't entirely his fault. Through the air he has been valuable, but overall it isn't anything award worthy currently. He is just touching the ball a lot. He has 220 touches but only averages 4.4 yards per touch. 

He's 25th in EPA per rush, 37th in yards per carry and 44th in success rate. He isn't doing anything special. If he were to win the award, Chase and Mac would have to get injured. 

EDIT - To add, he is 57th in yards per touch.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 11:14 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Well, he stinks on the ground but again, that isn't entirely his fault. Through the air he has been valuable, but overall it isn't anything award worthy currently. He is just touching the ball a lot. He has 220 touches but only averages 4.4 yards per touch. 

He's 25th in EPA per rush, 37th in yards per carry and 44th in success rate. He isn't doing anything special. If he were to win the award, Chase and Mac would have to get injured. 

EDIT - To add, he is 57th in yards per touch.

Agreed...and that's why BetMGM has Najee with the 3rd best odds at +1200...way behind Mac Jones (+120) and Chase (+110).

It's a 2 horse race right now.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 10:34 AM)jj22 Wrote: You guys are forgetting the true number 1 non qb contender in Najee Harris who is set to outpace all non qb's in total yards. The start of the season when Chase was the darling seems ages ago.

The same Najae Harris that averages 3.7 YPC?  The same Najae Harris that has 7.2 YPR?  Just because he gets tons of targets and a lot of handoffs doesn't make him OROTY.  

Were you being sarcastic?

And "ages ago"?  It was three weeks ago that he blew up the Ravens for 200 yards.  

The Bengals are not good at one thing:  rapid adjustments.  Opposing teams started tilting everything to Chase and the Bengals didn't adjust quickly enough.  They will over the bye.  At least, I hope they will.  I think they will?

Whenever Chase is singled, Burrow will take a shot with him.  The line needs to give him time, and Burrow needs to be patient and take the underneath stuff when it is there instead of forcing it downfield. 

Chase is playing like a top 5 (or maybe 3) WR in the entire NFL.  Mac Jones is playing middle-of-the-road QB with a low-risk, high % offense.  He is very accurate, I will give him that, but teams will adjust to him too.  I don't think any one is scared of getting beat over the top by Jones.  Teams will start to defend the short stuff better and he will have to adjust as well.

He will likely win OROTY for one reason:  He is a QB and he is in New England.  
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 11:02 AM)jj22 Wrote: Najee is their offense. On the ground and through the air. Their only threat. I disagree, and his numbers don't lie. He if it would go to a non qb would be right up there.

He is their only threat because Pig Ben has no arm.  With Dionte Johnson only averaging 11.8 ypr, that tells you all you need to know.  He is a heck of a WR, but Piggy can't get him the ball deep.  That will only worsen as the year goes on.  
Reply/Quote
Our boy's kinda falling back to the pack. Since the Raven's game he averaged about 4 catches and 40 yards per game.

With NE taking the lead in the AFC East,we may now have a hard time.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2021, 10:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Our boy's kinda falling back to the pack. Since the Raven's game he averaged about 4 catches and 40 yards per game.

With NE taking the lead in the AFC East,we may now have a hard time.

Yeah... It'd be cool, but the rookie of the year doesn't concern me. The fact that other teams were gonna inevitably figure out how to slow him down, and nobody else emerging bothers me though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I think Chase has regressed towards the mean. That's not to say he's bad. He's still the best rookie WR and should be a pro bowler but all the talk of him being a top 3 WR in the NFL should probably stop. He's still a rookie. He has made some great plays in the last 4 weeks but he's also made some bad plays. He has dropped at least 3 touchdowns in that time span as well. I really enjoy watching him play and think he will be a star in the NFL but I'm not sure he's a sure thing OROY anymore.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2021, 11:35 PM)jason Wrote: Yeah... It'd be cool, but the rookie of the year doesn't concern me. The fact that other teams were gonna inevitably figure out how to slow him down, and nobody else emerging bothers me though.

100% this.

We have 3 guys who have posted 1000 yard seasons (or close to).

You'd think we'd have a mismatch every week.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Today was a funny one for chase. He missed the ball in the air on that one deep pass, almost had a catch on the other. Then he got bulldozed by Mixon lol that was hilarious. He still made an impact and consistently needs attention from defenses.
Reply/Quote