Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Big Super Bowl Takeaway that hopefully the Bengals Get
Here it goes

Comparisons
Reply/Quote
My main takeaway is that Dan Quinn is as terrible as Marvin Lewis is at closing out games. That third and 1 playcall, where Matt Ryan dropped back to pass and resulted in a strip sack, was the stupidest playcall I've seen since the bengals finished the season in December.
Reply/Quote
Bill Belichick was writing a grocery list while making adjustments in his head during the second quarter.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2017, 04:51 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Awaiting Fred's response on how Marvin and Bill are similar in any way other than title. *popcorn*

Oh Oh!!! I'll play!!

They both failed as coaches in the state of Ohio.  :andy:

Bill's record as coach of the stains 36–44.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
My takeaway is to run up the score no matter what. The Falcons took their foot off the gas too early. I have no problem for a team to run up a huge lead. Otherwise, comebacks happen.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
The Patriots run a two minute drill on every offensive possession. There are no ball control issues or down and distance issues. Just score...
Reply/Quote
My only takeaway was the Pats are most likely going to be representing the AFC in next years SB.

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2017, 01:28 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: My only takeaway was the Pats are most likely going to be representing the AFC in next years SB.

Seriously, who's going to beat them? Denver has no QB, Steelers can't keep their stars healthy, we always choke in the playoffs  (if we even make it). Miami? KC? I just don't see it.

Reply/Quote
My takeaway is.....At no time did I see a NE player arguing on the sideline with their coach/own players etc, hell not even with the other team. I didnt see any players fighting after every play once they was down 25, or cheap shots. Just a TEAM that kept their heads up and did their JOB. WHY???? Cause thats what Discipline teams do.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2017, 01:48 AM)TKUHL Wrote: My takeaway is.....At no time did I see a NE player arguing on the sideline with their coach/own players etc, hell not even with the other team. I didnt see any players fighting after every play once they was down 25, or cheap shots. Just a TEAM that kept their heads up and did their JOB. WHY???? Cause thats what Discipline teams do.

I’m from New England it’s so depressing being a Bengals fan in a town that has such a great football organization that is the complete opposite of the Bengals.  The player’s are disciplined and theirs open competition at every position every season regardless of draft position. Player’s who underperform are benched, cut or traded.  I wonder how long it would take Belichick to cut Maualuga or bench Bodine ?  They coach up less talented players then the Bengals at all positions.   Their starting offensive line has an undrafted 2nd year center, rookie 4th round pick at left guard, a 2nd year 4th round pick at right guard and a 5th round right tackle, Marcus Cannon who played lights out this year and should be considered for the most improved player of the year.  The Bengals have two 1st round picks on their line in Ced and Zeitler , two 2nd round picks in Fisher and Whit, a center who’s been starting for 3 years and a left guard who has stared since 2011 and they stink.  The Bengals have two 2nd rounds picks at running back who are outperformed by no-named running backs of the Patriots.  Gio and Burkhead would be studs in New England running routes out of the back filed, exploiting mismatches. No wide out on their team is close to A.J. Green in terms of talent. They don’t have a single guy on their d-line that is even close to as talented as Geno or Dunlap. They have one talented linebacker in Hightower and Vontaze is better then him.  We have 3 first round picks at corner not including pacman and the patriots secondary is better with undrafted guys like Butler. The coaching staff does a great job and makes great adjustments.  

Reply/Quote
Why the Falcons ever went away from the run is beyond me. They were averaging like 6 something yards per carry. Quinn let Shanahan play call themselves out of a win, he should have made a decision and told Kyle to keep running the ball.

One observation and I think it was obvious, that the Falcons were a lot faster than New England, Deon Jones was all over the place. We need that kind of speed, Ruben Foster kind of speed at linebacker.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2017, 01:22 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: What I learned is that while Marvin ball can be frustratingly conservative at least he wouldn't have been over aggressive and lost that game.

If they would've ran it and trusted Matt Bryant (who is a hell of a kicker.) they wouldn't have been in 3 and 33 or whatever it was and pushed the lead to 2 possessions. You have Freeman on the team for a reason.

Marvin's team would not have been up 28-3 because once we scored a second TD we would have gone to Marv ball. Pats would have caught up and gone by much earlier in the game.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2017, 11:40 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: My takeaway is to run up the score no matter what. The Falcons took their foot off the gas too early. I have no problem for a team to run up a huge lead. Otherwise, comebacks happen.

It takes the Bengals 40 seconds to call and execute a play when they are in their "two minute" drill.

One of the minor but continually infuriating problems with Marv ball
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2017, 10:52 AM)lone bengal Wrote: I’m from New England it’s so depressing being a Bengals fan in a town that has such a great football organization that is the complete opposite of the Bengals.  The player’s are disciplined and theirs open competition at every position every season regardless of draft position. Player’s who underperform are benched, cut or traded.  I wonder how long it would take Belichick to cut Maualuga or bench Bodine ?  They coach up less talented players then the Bengals at all positions.   Their starting offensive line has an undrafted 2nd year center, rookie 4th round pick at left guard, a 2nd year 4th round pick at right guard and a 5th round right tackle, Marcus Cannon who played lights out this year and should be considered for the most improved player of the year.  The Bengals have two 1st round picks on their line in Ced and Zeitler , two 2nd round picks in Fisher and Whit, a center who’s been starting for 3 years and a left guard who has stared since 2011 and they stink.  The Bengals have two 2nd rounds picks at running back who are outperformed by no-named running backs of the Patriots.  Gio and Burkhead would be studs in New England running routes out of the back filed, exploiting mismatches. No wide out on their team is close to A.J. Green in terms of talent. They don’t have a single guy on their d-line that is even close to as talented as Geno or Dunlap. They have one talented linebacker in Hightower and Vontaze is better then him.  We have 3 first round picks at corner not including pacman and the patriots secondary is better with undrafted guys like Butler. The coaching staff does a great job and makes great adjustments.  

double :andy: :andy:   particularly on the Bodine and Maualuga comments and how Pats coach players up while we coach first round picks down.

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2017, 01:48 AM)TKUHL Wrote:  My takeaway is.....At no time did I see a NE player arguing on the sideline with their coach/own players etc, hell not even with the other team. I didnt see any players fighting after every play once they was down 25, or cheap shots. Just a TEAM that kept their heads up and did their JOB. WHY???? Cause thats what Discipline teams do.

:andy: :andy: :andy:

Our management and coaching are light years behind New England, an organization committed to excellence not just getting by.
Reply/Quote
Did anybody check the inflation of the footballs this time Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2017, 01:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Falcons and Bengals are comparable organizations. Some good regular seasons prior to this year and no success.

While the Falcons lost this game...

They played A LOT of young, fast guys on defense. You need speed on defense. Start playing the young guys Bengals! The Falcons had soo much teams speed and a bunch of new starters out there from last year.

You need fast LB's in the NFL to win. Get rid of Maualuga and Dansby. Play Vigil and a draft pick.

They are comparable except when you look at ownership and the front office.  Once you do that, they have virtually nothing in common.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2017, 11:40 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: My takeaway is to run up the score no matter what. The Falcons took their foot off the gas too early. I have no problem for a team to run up a huge lead. Otherwise, comebacks happen.

How can you say that?  They were throwing the ball on 2nd and 1 and on 3rd and 1 - and it cost them dearly.  I don't think they took their foot off the gas at all.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2017, 05:42 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: How can you say that?  They were throwing the ball on 2nd and 1 and on 3rd and 1 - and it cost them dearly.  I don't think they took their foot off the gas at all.

Yeah, I just think the master tactician was taking notes early and often, adjusted to what they were doing, and shut them down.  The Pats had a few bounces go their way, stymied the Atlanta pass rush, and that was all she wrote.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2017, 05:42 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: How can you say that?  They were throwing the ball on 2nd and 1 and on 3rd and 1 - and it cost them dearly.  I don't think they took their foot off the gas at all.

IMO, the Falcons couldn't keep up the fast pace they had in the first half and ran out of gas. Secondly, they went into a  "prevent" defense and we know that never works. Thirdly, the really stupid empty-backfield pass play started their meltdown. Overall the Patriots are a well coached team that requires each one to "do your job". The Bengals just talk about "do your job".

I have a 2/3/17  letter from Mike Brown that I want to include in a reply ifr I figure out how to do it. It is a sad commentary on the mindset of the owner and coaches. Not hopeful from a fan's standpoint.
Reply/Quote