Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Big WIN for one religion's freedom in Texas?
Not a "win" yet, but in the making.

This could be a watershed moment in the history of religious freedom for one religion. 
Culture is upstream from politics, they say, and the stated goal here is to change culture.
.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Public schools would have to display Ten Commandments under bill passed by Texas Senate
https://www.texastribune.org/2023/04/20/texas-senate-passes-ten-commandments-bill/

Public schools in Texas would have to prominently display the Ten Commandments in every classroom starting next school year under a bill the Texas Senate approved Thursday.

Senate Bill 1515 by Sen. Phil King, R-Weatherford, now heads to the House for consideration.

This is the latest attempt from Texas Republicans to inject religion into public schools. In 2021, state Sen. Bryan Hughes, a Mineola Republican, authored a bill that became law requiring schools to display donated “In God We Trust” signs.

King said during a committee hearing earlier this month that the Ten Commandments are part of American heritage and it’s time to bring them back into the classroom. He said the U.S. Supreme Court cleared the way for his bill after it sided with Joe Kennedy, a high school football coach in Washington state who was fired for praying at football games. The court ruled that was praying as a private citizen, not as an employee of the district.

“[The bill] will remind students all across Texas of the importance of the fundamental foundation of America,” King said during that hearing.

The Senate also gave final passage to Senate Bill 1396, authored by Sen. Mayes Middleton, R-Galveston, which would allow public and charter schools to adopt a policy requiring every campus to set aside a time for students and employees to read the Bible or other religious texts and to pray.

Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said in a statement that both bills are wins for religious freedom in Texas.

“I believe that you cannot change the culture of the country until you change the culture of mankind,” he said. “Bringing the Ten Commandments and prayer back to our public schools will enable our students to become better Texans.”

Matt Krause, a former Texas state representative and attorney with the First Liberty Institute, the organization that represented the Washington coach, said the Kennedy case was a victory in religious freedom and this bill would be protected.

“The Kennedy case for religious liberty was much like the Dobbs case was for the pro-life movement,” he said. “It was a fundamental shift.”

But there is conservative opposition as well--

In opposition to the bill, John Litzler, general counsel and director of public policy at the Texas Baptists Christian Life Commission, said at the committee hearing that the organization has concerns about taxpayer money being used to buy religious texts and that parents, not schools, should be having conversations about religion with their children.

“I should have the right to introduce my daughter to the concepts of adultery and coveting one's spouse,” Litzler said. “It shouldn’t be one of the first things she learns to read in her kindergarten classroom.”
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
As a Satanist, things like this make me smile and rub my hands together with anticipation for when it inevitably blows up in the Evangelical's faces.
Reply/Quote
Those things don't mention it being wrong to be gay but they say to not kill people. Seems a little woke for Texas.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2023, 03:17 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Those things don't mention it being wrong to be gay but they say to not kill people.  Seems a little woke for Texas.

They've replaced those with some shit about not being woke and owning the libz.  I think there's also a "thou shalt not acknowledge slavery" in there somewhere.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2023, 01:30 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: As a Satanist, things like this make me smile and rub my hands together with anticipation for when it inevitably blows up in the Evangelical's faces.

Bragging you worship Satan? You know you will be going to Hell. No thanks.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 12:32 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Bragging you worship Satan? You know you will be going to Hell. No thanks.

LeVey Satanism is actually atheistic more than anything. It really thrives on mocking theistic religions. They don't worship Satan and they don't believe in Hell in the Christian sense.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 12:32 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Bragging you worship Satan? You know you will be going to Hell. No thanks.

It's full of angels for what I know. 

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 06:38 AM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: It's full of angels for what I know. 

According to Pat Benatar, it's full of children.
Reply/Quote

People who believe in hell want to avoid it, of course. 

People who don't believe in the whole supernatural thing don't worry about going to a place that does not exist.

So they don't "know" they will be going to hell.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2023, 03:17 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Those things don't mention it being wrong to be gay but they say to not kill people.  Seems a little woke for Texas.

Kind of wish they would include more commandments, relating to witches, adultery and gay people.

Not to mention the dietary strictures. 

I'd be much less concerned if, as Christians, they required every school and courthouse to
post the Sermon on the Mount, though that conflicts more with Christian Nationalism.

Would they argue the OT commandments were more "inclusive" because they include Judaism and maybe Islam too? 

I would appreciate hearing from my Christian friends--why the 10 C instead of the Sermon on the Mount? 
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 06:26 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: LeVey Satanism is actually atheistic more than anything. It really thrives on mocking theistic religions. They don't worship Satan and they don't believe in Hell in the Christian sense.

You know as well as anyone as soon as someone like that see "satanism" they just spout what they were taught about "satan".
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 10:26 AM)Nately120 Wrote: According to Pat Benatar, it's full of children.

Damn, it might be full of priests too then ... 

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 11:53 AM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Damn, it might be full of priests too then ... 

Well yea, but it's heaven for them.

More on topic, I know this stuff is just political theater for the rabid MAGA base (though, with this supreme court you can never rule out the idea of them wiping their arses on the constitution in order to force GOP Jesus on people), but I have to wonder why so many "don't tell me what to do" conservatives think forcing kids to sit in classrooms with the ten commandments on the wall is going to make them hop on board. 

Who knows...maybe the ultra woke win the war and in 25 years we start telling people they need to convert to LGBTQ+ or they'll burn in hell forever.
Reply/Quote

I can't go to places I don't believe in. It's why I've never been to Indiana. And if Heaven is full of people like you, I'll take my chances in Hell.

I also don't worship Satan. Satan isn't real. Kind of part of the entire deal.

(04-23-2023, 06:26 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: LeVey Satanism is actually atheistic more than anything. It really thrives on mocking theistic religions. They don't worship Satan and they don't believe in Hell in the Christian sense.

I'm not a LeVey Satanist; I'm a Temple Satanist. LeVey Satanism is more about magic and the supernatural. Temple Satanism is about empathy and science.
Reply/Quote
Nothing pisses me off like government funds being spent to indoctrinate children with the preferred religion of the ruling party to buoy the numbers of a dwindling base.
Reply/Quote
of course, after the Roe reversal, we know the current make-up of the court has no respect for the precedence of previously decided cases.  But, this was decided back by the court in 1980

Quote:In Stone v. Graham, 449 U.S. 39 (1980), the Supreme Court of the United States ruled that a Kentucky statute was unconstitutional and in violation of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment, because it lacked a nonreligious, legislative purpose. The statute required the posting of a copy of the Ten Commandments on the wall of each public classroom in the state. The copies of the Ten Commandments were purchased with private funding, but the Court ruled that because they were being placed in public classrooms they were in violation of the First Amendment.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
So they are going to put 'Thou shalt not kill' everywhere in a state where the death sentence is still operative.

Oh the irony !

Reply/Quote
I was recently accused of being in league with Satan. What they don't realize is I'm a free agent and signed with her Holiness, The Tooth Fairy! 
I tried the riches thing selling my soul to Satan, but he's always out of town on other business. I actually did receive a small down payment on riches under my pillow at around 5 or 6 years old when I lost a tooth.. Satan, money talks, bullsh*t walks.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
What a resume Manafort has !

Works for only good people :

Mobutu
Siad Barre
Teodoro Obiang
Jonas Savimbi
Viktor Yanoukovich ( Ukraine's Loukachenko )
Ferdinand Marcos
Donald Trump

Nice guy.

Funny thing he took 750 000$ from Ukraine.

Reply/Quote
(04-24-2023, 01:40 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: What a resume Manafort has !

Funny thing he took 750 000$ from Ukraine.

No. He received over 12 million for helping Yanukovitch win.

That was discovered during the Russia investigation of Trump's campaign.

He joined the Trump campaign to position himself to sell inflence.
Reply/Quote