Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big play Chase?
(01-12-2024, 02:32 PM)Whatever Wrote: People think that if you just run the ball, you'll wear down the defense and running will get easier.  That's true IF you can run the ball and keep your offense on the field.  You can run-run-pass all day and you aren't wearing anything down if you keep going 3 and out.  You have to keep the offense on the field to give your D time to rest and make adjustments.  

On another note with explosive plays in the run game, I think we kind of learned after Brown started getting some carries that Mixon is definitely leaving a lot of chunk yardage on the field.

I agree. This offense needs a shakeup. I wish they weren’t so bullheaded and would replace Pollack. It’s so plainly obvious that needs to happen but we all know this is what we do here. And it’s cost us rings but we seemingly never learn. Loyalty when it’s not earned is the Bengals way I guess.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2024, 06:14 AM)ClarkHarris4Prez Wrote: What happened to big play Chase? In 2021 the guy was electric. Big plays everywhere and really the lightning rod of our offense. While he’s still been really good the last two years his big plays are way down. Does anyone know why? In my view it seems like we use him way too much on shorter stuff. I don’t have a clue why we don’t take deep go routes to him atleast 4 times a game. 75 percent of the time he’s either going to bring it down or draw a penalty. Just wondering if the film junkies have a legitimate answer for this. Hoping this staff wakes up and uses him like the Ferrari he is and stops trying to make him a possession reciever. We can’t pay the guy 30 mil a year to catch 7 yard passes all day. Trenton Irwin can handle that.

It is a combination of things in why the big plays haven't been quite as often. Chase broke into the NFL and surprised everyone as a rookie.

Now teams specifically try to take him away with his big play abilities. He hasn't lost them and he can still take a 7 yard screen the distance 
just the same as he used to if a Defender misses a tackle. Burrow being injured, Browning not being a big arm even if he did hit Ja'Marr for 
that big play against the Jags, poor OL play etc.

We just need to target him 10 times a game. We win when we do this.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2024, 03:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is a combination of things in why the big plays haven't been quite as often. Chase broke into the NFL and surprised everyone as a rookie.

Now teams specifically try to take him away with his big play abilities. He hasn't lost them and he can still take a 7 yard screen the distance 
just the same as he used to if a Defender misses a tackle. Burrow being injured, Browning not being a big arm even if he did hit Ja'Marr for 
that big play against the Jags, poor OL play etc.

We just need to target him 10 times a game. We win when we do this.

That's the case for every great WR, Nate. Jefferson was also amazing as a rookie, but didn't suddenly become a short pass WR only after his rookie year. Wasn't like people weren't trying to take him away. We need an OC/Playcaller who can give him favorable situations regardless of that. Chase finished 71st among qualified WRs in yards before the catch per reception, and 97th in average depth of target. He was 20th and 26th, respectively, in 2021.

Find ways to get him the ball with forward momentum, and then feed him. Less passes where he's standing stationary behind or at the LoS waiting for the ball to get to him, and more where he's catching the ball while already moving in a generally upfield manner. Alternatively some other teams seem to use presnap motion in their offense to put a defender in a disadvantageous position as he's running to catch up with the WR on the other side of the field before the snap. We seem to just use it to check for man or zone and give them a second for the defense to catch up with the motion before we snap. 

But yes, feed Chase. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2024, 04:18 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That's the case for every great WR, Nate. Jefferson was also amazing as a rookie, but didn't suddenly become a short pass WR only after his rookie year. Wasn't like people weren't trying to take him away. We need an OC/Playcaller who can give him favorable situations regardless of that. Chase finished 71st among qualified WRs in yards before the catch per reception, and 97th in average depth of target. He was 20th and 26th, respectively, in 2021.

Find ways to get him the ball with forward momentum, and then feed him. Less passes where he's standing stationary behind or at the LoS waiting for the ball to get to him, and more where he's catching the ball while already moving in a generally upfield manner. Alternatively some other teams seem to use presnap motion in their offense to put a defender in a disadvantageous position as he's running to catch up with the WR on the other side of the field before the snap. We seem to just use it to check for man or zone and give them a second for the defense to catch up with the motion before we snap. 

But yes, feed Chase. Lol

The Jefferson comparison is simply brutal.  No way around this.  Chase was always considered better than JJ, and after his rookie season it seemed it may continue, but... JJ never stopped catching balls downfield while Chase spends a handful of plays trying to get back to the line of scrimmage.  I do not believe Chase's abilities have lessened, we must have a better plan to throw the ball downfield.

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2024, 05:10 PM)casear2727 Wrote: The Jefferson comparison is simply brutal.  No way around this.  Chase was always considered better than JJ, and after his rookie season it seemed it may continue, but... JJ never stopped catching balls downfield while Chase spends a handful of plays trying to get back to the line of scrimmage.  I do not believe Chase's abilities have lessened, we must have a better plan to throw the ball downfield.

Coming out of college yes, both had great rookie campaigns but Jefferson has just continued to raise his play each year, Chase is still solid WR but has plateaued some since rookie year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2024, 04:18 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That's the case for every great WR, Nate. Jefferson was also amazing as a rookie, but didn't suddenly become a short pass WR only after his rookie year. Wasn't like people weren't trying to take him away. We need an OC/Playcaller who can give him favorable situations regardless of that. Chase finished 71st among qualified WRs in yards before the catch per reception, and 97th in average depth of target. He was 20th and 26th, respectively, in 2021.

But yes, feed Chase. Lol

Agreed, need to use Chase differently for sure. Not nearly as many of these sideline screens, short curls etc.

More Slants, Posts, Sluggos and Go Routes for Chase and hitting him in stride and the big plays will be back in surplus.

Also, would be nice to add another WR that can stay healthy and can catch the ball with regularity which is why I am not against drafting 
Rome Odunze or Malachi Corley. I like Iosivas and Charlie Jones but I don't think they are Tee and Boyd replacements.
Reply/Quote