Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Big signing
(03-14-2019, 06:23 PM)Millhouse Wrote:

That's not too bad.  If he can get ONE interception this year, he'll already outproduce Dennard.  Hell, people are ripping on Preston Brown, and he out produced Dennard on INTs and only played seven games.  As a LB, who "can't cover".  What's that say about #21?

I still don't know this cat, and he may suck, but I've not been impressed with Dennard at all.  I don't get why people are freaking out over potentially losing him.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 09:15 AM)Wyche Wrote: I don't get why people are freaking out over potentially losing him.

Good question. Although I can't blame them for what the team has put us through, the instinct to complain first, then figure out if your complaint was valid, has become many Bengal-fans first reaction. Fans are skittish because most things that could go wrong, has gone wrong since MB took over. At first, all the negativity got on my nerves. Now, I kinda understand because in the end, we all just want to win.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 09:15 AM)Wyche Wrote: That's not too bad.  If he can get ONE interception this year, he'll already outproduce Dennard.  Hell, people are ripping on Preston Brown, and he out produced Dennard on INTs and only played seven games.  As a LB, who "can't cover".  What's that say about #21?

I still don't know this cat, and he may suck, but I've not been impressed with Dennard at all.  I don't get why people are freaking out over potentially losing him.

Dennard is very solid in run support. Believe he was ranked top 5 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 09:15 AM)Wyche Wrote: That's not too bad.  If he can get ONE interception this year, he'll already outproduce Dennard.  Hell, people are ripping on Preston Brown, and he out produced Dennard on INTs and only played seven games.  As a LB, who "can't cover".  What's that say about #21?

People who think ints are an accurate way to judge DBs just don't get it.

Patrick Peterson has only finished in the top 10 in ints once in his 8 year career.  He only has 3 over the last two seasons.  Guess he is a scrub in Wyches book.
Reply/Quote

I like Webb.  Dennard was never played or used in his natural ability on the outside.   But he also was injury prone.  I say move on.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
we have no clue what Dennard was asking for so I am personally not quick to be upset over the signing as its pretty good value for us all things considered. I also don't view Dennard as anything special and I was hoping he wouldn't get a long term contract.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 05:53 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: and that depth kept our 1st and 2nd rounder on the bench

This.  We have to stop making Hart out to be an Ogbuehi.  The guy had his problems, but let's look at the big picture:

He ranked 56.2 last year according to PFF.  I don't have his breakdowns but he is clearly a much better run blocker than a pass blocker.  He was far from what I would call "good", but the rushing attack DID yield its best YPC in what seemed to be a decade or two.  He improved as a pass blocker as the season wore on, and he stayed healthy the entire season (I think?  At least I don't remember any injuries).

He is also STILL 24 years old.  He turns 25 in late August right as the season is about to begin.  

(((((THIS IS SURE TO GET ME KILLED ON HERE)))))

For those of us that have been around a while, you might remember that future HOF (He better be) Andrew Whitworth was far from elite his first few seasons and struggled mightily when he was first put at OT.  Hart deserves the benefit of the doubt.  He isn't Ogbuehi and, again, he has shown he can drive block with the best of them.  He is a massively strong man, and is just about to turn 25.  

I am not saying that I am going to run out and buy his jersey and request 1HART on my next Bengals license plate, but the guy deserves more credit than he is receiving on here.  He also deserves the opportunity to see what he can become under new coaches and the new scheme. 

And, there is always the potential that he becomes a backup if a strong draft pick takes his job.... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 06:44 PM)Wyche Wrote: Never heard of him.

Typical Bengals "gotta Google" kind of signing .
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 09:37 AM)fredtoast Wrote: People who think ints are an accurate way to judge DBs just don't get it.

Patrick Peterson has only finished in the top 10 in ints once in his 8 year career.  He only has 3 over the last two seasons.  Guess he is a scrub in Wyches book.

That's not what I was saying at all....just pointing out that Dennard has not been some world beater that anyone should really freak out over losing.  Still, what is it, 5 INTs since he's been here?  He was a first round draft pick.  I'm certainly not amped up over Webb to say the least, but I'm not necessarily worried about losing Dennard either.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 09:26 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Good question. Although I can't blame them for what the team has put us through, the instinct to complain first, then figure out if your complaint was valid, has become many Bengal-fans first reaction. Fans are skittish because most things that could go wrong, has gone wrong since MB took over. At first, all the negativity got on my nerves. Now, I kinda understand because in the end, we all just want to win.

Me either Harley....I can't blame anyone for being skittish.  I am myself.  I just don't understand freaking out over a guy that has been just a guy to begin with.  In the grand scheme of the LBs in FA, Brown was a value signing, and people are freaking out over bringing him back, but freaking out over potentially losing Dennard, who we would likely overpay to extend.

(03-15-2019, 09:29 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Dennard is very solid in run support. Believe he was ranked top 5 

He is that, for sure.  Like others mentioned though, some of that may have been a bit due to piss poor LB play.  However, is at least a sure tackler.  Stats say Webb is too though.

(03-15-2019, 09:44 AM)Okeana Wrote: we have no clue what Dennard was asking for so I am personally not quick to be upset over the signing as its pretty good value for us all things considered.  I also don't view Dennard as anything special and I was hoping he wouldn't get a long term contract.

Right.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 09:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This.  We have to stop making Hart out to be an Ogbuehi.  The guy had his problems, but let's look at the big picture:

He ranked 56.2 last year according to PFF.  I don't have his breakdowns but he is clearly a much better run blocker than a pass blocker.  He was far from what I would call "good", but the rushing attack DID yield its best YPC in what seemed to be a decade or two.  He improved as a pass blocker as the season wore on, and he stayed healthy the entire season (I think?  At least I don't remember any injuries).

He is also STILL 24 years old.  He turns 25 in late August right as the season is about to begin.  

For those of us that have been around a while, you might remember that future HOF (He better be) Andrew Whitworth was far from elite his first few seasons and struggled mightily when he was first put at OT.  Hart deserves the benefit of the doubt.  He isn't Ogbuehi and, again, he has shown he can drive block with the best of them.  He is a massively strong man, and is just about to turn 25.  

I am not saying that I am going to run out and buy his jersey and request 1HART on my next Bengals license plate, but the guy deserves more credit than he is receiving on here.  He also deserves the opportunity to see what he can become under new coaches and the new scheme. 

And, there is always the potential that he becomes a backup if a strong draft pick takes his job.... Hilarious

Fair points.....also, with only Glenn under contract, would folks rather us bring back Fisher or Ole' hi, or Bobby Hart?

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 10:10 AM)Wyche Wrote: He is that, for sure.  Like others mentioned though, some of that may have been a bit due to piss poor LB play.  However, is at least a sure tackler.  Stats say Webb is too though.

I'm not fretting over the slot CB position if Dennard wants to get hella paid. Would be a tad different if it was one of the boundary guys, but I am not terribly worried about Webb at the slot over dennard.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 10:16 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I'm not fretting over the slot CB position if Dennard wants to get hella paid. Would be a tad different if it was one of the boundary guys, but I am not terribly worried about Webb at the slot over dennard.

Right.  

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 09:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This.  We have to stop making Hart out to be an Ogbuehi.  The guy had his problems, but let's look at the big picture:

Playing OT is about footwork, technique, and power.  All of which can increase the older you get especially power.  The thing that limits an OT's career is typically injuries.  Dennard is not going to get faster the older he gets and very rarely does a mediocre CB turn into a pro bowl caliber player.  Its literally apples and oranges

Reply/Quote

Decided to find out about Hart during his Giant years.

https://gmenhq.com/2018/05/29/bengals-hart-learns-from-new-york-giants-tenure/

https://www.sny.tv/giants/news/flowers-and-hart-alienated-themselves-from-giants-offensive-line/264297284

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-giants/Bolt/Bobby-Hart-New-York-Giants-release-the-right-tackle-in-Gettleman-first-move-112915625/

https://nypost.com/2018/01/02/ex-giants-linemen-fight-gets-ugly-after-quitting-claims/
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 09:15 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: That's not too bad.  If he can get ONE interception this year, he'll already outproduce Dennard.  Hell, people are ripping on Preston Brown, and he out produced Dennard on INTs and only played seven games.  As a LB, who "can't cover".  What's that say about #21?

I’m cool with it as long as the Bengals put the money they saved on Dennard to good use. Wether that’s used on futures extensions for guys like Boyd or William Jackson who I think can be a stud, or on free agent upgrades.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 10:41 AM)lone bengal Wrote: I’m cool with it as long as the Bengals put the money they saved on Dennard to good use. Wether that’s used on futures extensions for guys like Boyd or William Jackson who I think can be a stud, or on free agent upgrades.

Absolutely agree with this.  They better......

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 10:25 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Decided to find out about Hart during his Giant years.

https://gmenhq.com/2018/05/29/bengals-hart-learns-from-new-york-giants-tenure/

https://www.sny.tv/giants/news/flowers-and-hart-alienated-themselves-from-giants-offensive-line/264297284

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-giants/Bolt/Bobby-Hart-New-York-Giants-release-the-right-tackle-in-Gettleman-first-move-112915625/

https://nypost.com/2018/01/02/ex-giants-linemen-fight-gets-ugly-after-quitting-claims/

Lol I can't believe we signed this guy

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 10:41 AM)lone bengal Wrote: I’m cool with it as long as the Bengals put the money they saved on Dennard to good use. Wether that’s used on futures extensions for guys like Boyd or William Jackson who I think can be a stud, or on free agent upgrades.

Yeah . .  wj3 should be prioritized. I liked dennard in college but he has been inconsistent so far unfortunately.  I dont think he is as bad as some but i like wj3 a lot better!
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 05:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No complaints with this signing, but if they let Dennard walk with this guy as his replacement I will have to stay away from these boards for a few days until the complete meltdown is over.

I have a feeling this is going to be the case.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote