Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biggest Bengal draft day memory
Palmer was my guy.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Best: I was ecstatic about AJ Green and really talked him up to my friends that had came over to the house even though they didn't much care for the draft but were big Bengals fans and that pick worked out well but I was also really excited another time at that same level when we landed Mauluaga in the 2nd round when it was thought he could have been a top 10 pick...that one didn't work out real well.

Worst: Hated the Jerome Simpson selection over Desean Jackson and was really disappointed when we reached for Cedric Ogbuehi a few years back.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
I was pretty excited during the 2013 draft.

Landed Eifert in 1 which shocked me but i liked what he brought to the table.

Then we re signed Andre on day two which opened it up for us and we landed Gio which was big because we needed RB bad. Then Margus freaking Hunt with those measurables. Holy shit dude was going to be a stud.

We made a drinking game out of Andres press conference.

Day 3 was a disappointment though and brought me back to earth along with the hangover from celebrating
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 02:49 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Blame the Saints on both sitches there lol (well, MB on the first one, actually).

In hindsight, it is AWESOME that we didn't take Laws; he was terrible and at the very least, 'rome had some great games for us, plus the flip Big Grin

(04-26-2018, 02:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote:
No we couldn't.  Simpson was not that bad of a pick at all compared to the other WRs in that draft.  He ended up being more productive than 2 of the WRs taken before him and 5 of the other 9 WRs taken in the second round.

In fact he was a better pick than Trevor Laws. 

I know Trevor Laws sucked in the NFL. But at least he was a DL and an area of need for us. Sigh.....you guys aren’t making my hand feel any better.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 04:18 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I know Trevor Laws sucked in the NFL. But at least he was a DL and an area of need for us. Sigh.....you guys aren’t making my hand feel any better.

LOL

Hey, if the Saints didn't take Ellis, we'd've had him and not Phat!
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 03:19 PM)depthchart Wrote: Not really a big moment for me - just playing around.

I do remember us taking Bodine though and being OK with us adding a Center to compete. He didn't look bad for a mid round pick.

I just didn't realize that he would be penciled in as the starter until his contract ran out with no real high round center competition being added later for him to compete against.

Oh dude when Ghiaciuc was the center we cheered and hope anyone we drafted would be the starter lol

And I think we tried several years in a row.
Luigs was never healthy.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 03:33 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: Worst: Hated the Jerome Simpson selection over Desean Jackson and was really disappointed when we reached for Cedric Ogbuehi a few years back.

Jerome was a Eh will see moment for me...

For cedric the damn draft puds kept saying he'd be a top 10 pick if he wasn't injured...

They lied to us.   (I hate those guys so much and their cant miss misses)
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 03:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote:  Have to say when Billings fell all the way to us in the 4th round has to be my greatest draft day memory. I wanted him in the first, too bad he got that injury and hasn't been close to the player i thought
he would be yet.
yet

I am a big SEC fan and i was very impressed with Pat Sims. I forget what bowl Auburn played in but Sims was dominating. DT was a big need for us that year and i mocked us taking him in th 2nd round.  When we got him in the 3rd i was ecstatic.

Still hoping Billings turns out to be the player a lot of you claimed he would be.
Reply/Quote
I think the '68 draft stands out the most to me.

I remember watching it on my 4K widescreen and scream at the TV "Take Czonka, Take Czonka" then when Pete Rozelle announced we took some Center out of Tennessee I threw my remote at the TV.

But I said Ok, OK at least we can get our Franchise QB in the 2nd and if anyone had been following the board back then they would have know how much of a Ken Stabler fan I was. Instead Mikey makes the dumb decision to take Staley? DE out of Utah State.

Of course I am beyond livid at this point, but I think OK we can wait on QB because there's a really good OT named Shell I've had my eye on that I hope the Bengals pull the trigger on. Because there is a hot shot kid named Cook out of UC that I want us to take next year and Shell will be able to protect him from getting injured. Instead Marvin pushes for some nobody QB out of Vanderbilt.

From that point forward I just remember shaking my head as he go through the rest of our 41 picks.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Probably the Carson Palmer pick.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 07:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think the '68 draft stands out the most to me.

I remember watching it on my 4K widescreen and scream at the TV "Take Czonka, Take Czonka" then when Pete Rozelle announced we took some Center out of Tennessee I threw my remote at the TV.

But I said Ok, OK at least we can get our Franchise QB in the 2nd and if anyone had been following the board back then they would have know how much of a Ken Stabler fan I was. Instead Mikey makes the dumb decision to take Staley? DE out of Utah State.

Of course I am beyond livid at this point, but I think OK we can wait on QB because there's a really good OT named Shell I've had my eye on that I hope the Bengals pull the trigger on. Because there is a hot shot kid named Cook out of UC that I want us to take next year and Shell will be able to protect him from getting injured. Instead Marvin pushes for some nobody QB out of Vanderbilt.

From that point forward I just remember shaking my head as he go through the rest of our 41 picks.

LOL

I remember being ecstatic over the Pollack selection in 2005 since I feared he'd be gone.  Another "what might have been"- seems the Bengals have had more than their fair share of those.
Reply/Quote
I don't know about best memory, but the ones that stick out were the reactions and facial expressions on Chris Berman's face when the Bengals would make their picks. My biggest WTF was Chris Perry at # 26 in '04. I thought the biggest steal was Maualuga in the 2nd in '09. Ol' well hindsight.
Reply/Quote
My best draft memory comes from 1980, when the Bengals selected Anthony Munoz with the 3rd overall pick. Of course, we didn't watch the draft on TV back then, I had to read about it in the paper. To think that I was worried when the Browns drafted Charles White in that same 1st round... We all know how that one turned out.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
2004 was aful litteraly threw one of my best friends out of the house when we drafted Chris Perry.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Sorry he got grown out of the house in 2004. Hope he is doing well. But on that of in the way of in the going to be a great draft.
Happy Halloween
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 04:27 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: LOL

Hey, if the Saints didn't take Ellis, we'd've had him and not Phat!

Funny thing was that was the off-season with the failed Shaun Rogers trade. Both picks we were going to send to Detroit wound up being DTs. Same thing happened with Chad. Both picks in that trade were used on WRs.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Palmer. I think going through what we did in the 90s, things changed for the better when we took Palmer. They just went kinda awkward. It wasn't outright success (like the Patriots) but we did become a much better team than the disgraceful 90s team.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
[Image: 041899smithjersey_600x449.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 07:26 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: My biggest WTF was Chris Perry at # 26 in '04

(04-26-2018, 07:32 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: 2004 was aful litteraly threw one of my best friends out of the house when we drafted Chris Perry.

Chris Perry was First Team All American, Big Ten Player of the Yeat, and won the Doak Walker Award as the best rb in the country. He had no injury issues or character problems.

He was a good first round pick that got cut down by injury.
Reply/Quote
Last night when we were able to jettison the memory of Bodine for good.  Get out the brain bleach and scrub that memory away never to be thought about again..  ThumbsUp
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote