Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biggest Impact Player/Position for 2019?
There's already been discussion of what some of the needs are for the Bengals going into 2019 based on 2018 performance, but I don't think there's been talk over what position/player would have the biggest impact to the team if addressed.

For me, I think it's close between 3-down LB and right side of OL. I'm even tempted to say RT over RG because I think RT makes a bigger difference than RG. If RT is solidified, it should make for an easier time for RG (although perhaps you could flip it too?). Would a LB make a bigger difference though over OL due to how terrible the middle of the field has (always?) been on defense?

What're everyone's thoughts on which position/player would be the biggest addition come next Spring?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If we had a competent linebacking core we would have a top 5 Defense. You can move price to RG and keep Hopkins at Center right now and have a decent line. Right now at LB we probably need two to Three guys who can come and give us some quality snaps.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I think the biggest impact position would be LB. IF we can find a true cover LB that can take away the obvious mismatches that we have vs. RB and TE that would make a huge difference.

I personally think Hopkins or Price should be the starting RG.
Reply/Quote
No doubt.  LBers that can provide coverage are a MUST.  

If they stick with Austin and his scheme that he's currently trying to implement it's a no brainer.

Especially if they are going to only blitz 11% of the time !!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Well, Mike Brown is still the owner. He sees football as being mainly CB/WR and DE/OT, everything else is just filler material.

With that in mind, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bengals draft OL twice in the first few rounds next year. They brought in Coach Pollack, I see them giving him some good material to build with.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 09:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, Mike Brown is still the owner.  He sees football as being mainly CB/WR and DE/OT, everything else is just filler material.  

With that in mind, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bengals draft OL twice in the first few rounds next year.  They brought in Coach Pollack, I see them giving him some good material to build with.

Would not bother me one bit. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 09:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, Mike Brown is still the owner.  He sees football as being mainly CB/WR and DE/OT, everything else is just filler material.  

With that in mind, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bengals draft OL twice in the first few rounds next year.  They brought in Coach Pollack, I see them giving him some good material to build with.

What we need to see is the Bengals address more than one area of need simultaneously. For years, a bunch of us (you and I included) have clamored for OLine upgrades, with usually only getting a token pick or grade C FA as a result. Well here we are, still needing multiple upgrades on the line.

And now we're looking at the LB group, where if we kept more than a couple of these guys, we've sunk to a level that will take a few years from which to recover. Beyond Vigil and Evans, I don't see anyone there that we should want to keep any longer than necessary. And it's going to take several quality draft picks plus an active free agency period to begin that process. Dare I even say a trade or two?

Not saying we're the only team that deals with this, but to always be a couple or three players (or coaching) away from being "contenders" is wearing out its welcome. 

So, that was a whole bunch of words to say you're right. Mike Brown has to change or go. And probably Marvin too. Because Marvin. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
I'm gonna say something that will absolutely piss off the entire fan base me included but needs said. First off. We have the lber Corp. If we play Jefferson. Next year? The lber Corp is set. Now rg is more of a weakness but there is this bc guard I really like I the second round. Who knows maybe they'll start westerman? Anyways. Those 2 weaknesses don't need to be addressed I the draft. But a wr2 does if we give up on Ross. Kneal Harry player comp is Julio Jones and u see it every time they play. Aj green is getting older and with that gonna start missing more time.
Reply/Quote
It's linebackers that can cover. We are at a historic rate defensively. Yards given up, 3rd down conversions, etc. That doesn't even include the bad tackling. Our so called leader on defense at LB is consistently awol also.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2018, 02:45 PM)Jpoore Wrote: I'm gonna say something that will absolutely piss off the entire fan base me included but needs said. First off. We have the lber Corp. If we play Jefferson. Next year? The lber Corp is set. Now rg is more of a weakness but there is this bc guard I really like I the second round. Who knows maybe they'll start westerman? Anyways. Those 2 weaknesses don't need to be addressed I the draft. But a wr2 does if we give up on Ross. Kneal Harry player comp is Julio Jones and u see it every time they play. Aj green is getting older and with that gonna start missing more time.

VRey and Brown are FAs after this season I believe, so there will be a need to get another LB. I definitely agree that the Bengals need to give Jefferson some snaps this year with how poor the group as a whole has been performing. But would the fans feel comfortable going into 2019 with Burfict, Vigil, and Jefferson/Evans as the starting LBs?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 03:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: VRey and Brown are FAs after this season I believe, so there will be a need to get another LB. I definitely agree that the Bengals need to give Jefferson some snaps this year with how poor the group as a whole has been performing. But would the fans feel comfortable going into 2019 with Burfict, Vigil, and Jefferson/Evans as the starting LBs?
Comfortable? No. Better? Yes. Would I like Devin white? Absolutely. I love white. But at the same time we already missed out on our future wr1 in Thomas(who I was pounding the table for in rd1).IF we believe in our lbers and I believe Evans is going to make the jump just like vigil did this year, then if u have to stay in the base personel on 3rd of vigil Evans Jefferson ur feeling a lot better baout it then Rey nickerson burfict or whatever we've been trotting out.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2018, 01:38 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Comfortable? No. Better? Yes. Would I like Devin white? Absolutely. I love white. But at the same time we already missed out on our future wr1 in Thomas(who I was pounding the table for in rd1).IF we believe in our lbers and I believe Evans is going to make the jump just like vigil did this year, then if u have to stay in the base personel on 3rd of vigil Evans Jefferson ur feeling a lot better baout it then Rey nickerson burfict or whatever we've been trotting out.

I believe Evans could make that jump in Year 3 but I'd like to grab a speedy coverage LB in the early rounds or FA just in case he doesn't, especially because Burfict hits FA after 2020 and it typically has been taking Bengals rookies 2-3 years to develop. 
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-06-2018, 02:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I believe Evans could make that jump in Year 3 but I'd like to grab a speedy coverage LB in the early rounds or FA just in case he doesn't, especially because Burfict hits FA after 2020 and it typically has been taking Bengals rookies 2-3 years to develop. 

Me as well. I'm a white guy. Convo is ridiculous anyways as Harry going top 5. I want white then the Boston college guard in 2 name escapes me tight now. 
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 02:39 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Me as well. I'm a white guy. Convo is ridiculous anyways as Harry going top 5. I want white then the Boston college guard in 2 name escapes me tight now. 

That's really tough to say. He may be a top 5 talent but so many teams could draft more for need than WR and not need WR that much compared to other positions. I've been seeing a lot of mocks have Harry in the 15-25 range. I haven't seen him anywhere in the top 10 in any of them. Obviously, some players' stock will go up/down as we lead up to the draft but it's tough to definitively say a WR will go top 5 right now IMO.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 05:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That's really tough to say. He may be a top 5 talent but so many teams could draft more for need than WR and not need WR that much compared to other positions. I've been seeing a lot of mocks have Harry in the 15-25 range. I haven't seen him anywhere in the top 10 in any of them. Obviously, some players' stock will go up/down as we lead up to the draft but it's tough to definitively say a WR will go top 5 right now IMO.
Wrs are like QBs how they shoot up at the end. I'm telling u I would be FLOORED if Harry makes it outside of top 10. Dude looks like Julio Jones and that's the comp coming out. And u look at top 6 and outside of Giants u got raiders need a wr1, Cardinals need a wr1, 49ers need a wr1, bills need a wr1, and browns need a wr1. Also I believe the 2nd raiders pick end up being a top 7 pock. So one o f those raiders picks will be Harry at worst.
Reply/Quote