Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Biggest heartbreaking season at mid point?
(10-31-2020, 09:30 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It just baffles me how the best thing to happen to the Bengals is looked at with such a jaundiced eye. I just don't get it ?

It is kind of like the media brainwashing on political subjects....It is almost as though the Bengals Fans have bought in to the National Media's BS about the Bengals ruining Burrow.  The #1 overall pick usually is going to the worst team in the league and it takes a while to rebuild.  At least the offense, even with this line, is showing up and putting up points in every game but one.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 02:07 PM)Tony Wrote: I know we have been through alot of heartbreaking seasons as a Bengal fans, and alot didn't expect much this year. IMHO this has been one of the most nail biting ,/ heartbreaking starts we have had in a while. This team is literally a play each week away from 5-2 / 4-3... The Chargers game ended on a iffy push off call and a cramp away from winning Burrows NFL debut.  Browns beat us straight up. PHILLY , we had so many chances to put that away. Wentz juking Carlos in the 4th QTR comes to mind in this one. Jacksonville dominating win. Baltimore dominated us, Burrows 1st bad rookie game. Defense played well. Indy , blown 21 point lead. Burrow , plays lights out , but the D cant stop Mayfield's 4 2nd half TDs and no incompletions but a spike.. Lose in the last seconds..

It seems like playing as a complete team been one of our biggest downfalls for the longest time... Either the offense shows out and D sucks or the other way around. Never a complete performance.  We are as close as you cant get to being a contending team. Atlanta is the NFC Bengals. This season also reminds me alot of Boomers first year starting in 1987. The Bengals lost 7 games by 5 or less or something close to that. We all know what happend in 1988... We are getting their guys.. Gotta keep faith in the process at this point. We dont really have another choice..
Not even close to me. In Fact to me this Rebuilding Bengals is playing all teams except Ravens close like he 1980 Rebuilding Bengals.  Boomer Esiason said on CBS post game after last weeks Cleveland loss that the future looks bright for Bengals. 

Now a recent Bad Season was 2018.  Marvin's last year.  They fired D Coordinator during season. They went as low as to bring back Hue Jackson who won no games while coaching Browns.  Cleveland signs said HUE STINKS.  That sight of losing Marvin and Hue on sidelines in such an awful year.   THAT is when the owners Blew It Up,  Fired Marvin and Hue and all Coaches and started the much needed Rebuild.  

Now 2018 was so bad, you go back to Paul Brown in 1968 saying, " Do not expect a good team here for at least 5 years ".    That also applies to how bad the 2018 Coaches and Players were.  and Yes, The Front Office.  2018 was as bad as it gets.  In 2020, I agree with Boomer that the Bengals future looks brighter now. 

Now Heartbreak is losing in years you do have the team.  2015 started 8-0 and turned into heartbreak.  Losing at home to Chargers in 2013 play-offs was heartbreak. Losing to Jets 2 straight weeks to ruin 2009 play-offs after sweeping AFC North was heartbreak.  Losing at home to Steelers 2005 was heartbreak.   Losing in last seconds of Super Bowl 1988 season was heartbreak.  

Watching the lousy, awful 2018 Bengals now in 2020 as NEW DEY has Joe Burrow and playing every team close, I agree with Boomer, that is the future looking brighter. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 11:18 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Every rookie QB doesn’t set like 5 records in 7 games. That’s more than “decent.” What Burrow and Herbert are doing (especially in a messed up year like this one) is remarkable. Both have already shown they have what it takes to be elite QB’s (not just “very good”) in the near future.

Also, if you have to keep prefacing every post you make about Burrow with how much you like him then you clearly don’t.

The only reason Burrow is setting any records is because he is leading the league in pass attempts.  Other than his low interception percentage all of his other efficiency numbers are in the bottom half of the league.

Among the 32 QBs with at least 90 attempts Burrow is

11th in interception percentage
18th in completion percentage
24th in passer rating
25th in yards per attempt
26th in td percentage

But he is number one in fumbles with 8.  
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure this season hurts the most. I think for me it was when Mahomes was blowing up the league a few seasons ago, and we were seeing that our first round pick right before him was amounting to nothing. Injuries all around, getting absolutely embarrassed multiple times, terrible line play, and seeing that Dalton would not be leading us anywhere anymore.

Oh, and we still were locked in with Marvin, seeing the same thing over and over again. I'm actually OK with this year - losing always sucks, but we got someone at QB. The only thing that bugs me is I wish Burrow was 21 with that talent!

I do worry about coaching staff, line play, and just not growing. But not the worst for me, this year is better than the past few years.
Reply/Quote
BGTW 2010 was byt far the biggest disappointment based on expectations of the fan base.

Adding TO was supposed to fix the biggest problem with that offense and set us on the path to the Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 12:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The only reason Burrow is setting any records is because he is leading the league in pass attempts.  Other than his low interception percentage all of his other efficiency numbers are in the bottom half of the league.

Among the 32 QBs with at least 90 attempts Burrow is

11th in interception percentage
18th in completion percentage
24th in passer rating
25th in yards per attempt
26th in td percentage

But he is number one in fumbles with 8.  

Yeah, everyone knows throwing a ton automatically equals big numbers. Just look at your boy Andy vs the Cardinals...

Reply/Quote
Not even in the top 3 disappointing seasons for me.

Future is bright.
Reply/Quote
I wonder why no other coaches ever thought of just chucking it a ton since that guarantees 300+ yds every week? That Zac Taylor truly is an offensive genius!

Reply/Quote