Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill Belichick says a smaller staff is a better staff
Interesting. Considering the Browns have the largest staff in our division I'm not surprised.

Quote:With 15 assistants, the Patriots have one of the smallest coaching staffs in the league. And Bill Belichick says that’s the way he likes it.

Belichick said on Paul Rabil’s podcast that running a staff with only people he knows he can count on to do whatever he throws their way is the best way to stay on top of everything.

“My philosophy, really, is that less is more, so I’d rather have fewer people doing more work than more people doing a little more work,” Belichick said, via ESPN. “As long as everybody is busy, as long as everybody feels productive, they feel good about what they’re doing and they feel like they’re contributing; I think when people have lag time and kind of not enough to do, that leads to getting distracted and complaining or being less productive. So even though you have more people, sometimes less work gets done.”

Belichick also wants to make sure he doesn’t have his assistants giving players conflicting instructions.

“From a ‘getting everybody on the same page’ standpoint, which is critical, the fewer people you have to manage, the easier it is to get everybody on the same page,” Belichick said. “So if you’re talking to 10 people, it’s hard to get all 10 people doing the same thing or doing the right thing. Now you make that number 20, instead of 10, it’s even more difficult. If you have five people supervising another 15 people, now you have another layer there where you’re not dealing directly with everybody, and now you’re somewhat dependent on other people to relay the message the way you want it done and to monitor it that way. Certainly, there’s a degree of that, but as much of that I can eliminate, I think works better for me.”

Smaller coaching staffs have worked very well for Belichick, and yet most coaches have gone in the other direction, with coaching staffs consistently growing. All three other AFC East teams, for instance, have more than 20 assistant coaches. Belichick has a smaller staff and a more effective staff.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/15/bill-belichick-says-a-smaller-staff-is-a-better-staff/
Reply/Quote
Common sense is not very common. This all makes sense to me.

I cannot stand the guy but you cannot question his genius.
Reply/Quote
This makes sense to me because I'd rather have 1 Bill Bellichick than our entire FO and coaching staff.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2017, 08:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Common sense is not very common. This all makes sense to me.

I cannot stand the guy but you cannot question his genius.

Why not?
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2017, 08:42 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Why not?

He is the Patriots HC dude.

Just gets on my nerves watching this guy run circles around everyone.

Cheating is never good in my eyes. Takes away the greatness of winning fair and square.

This is why i hate the Steelers so bad in every frickin way.
Reply/Quote
I actually have no problem having a small staff. I have a problem with the people on the small staff.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2017, 08:52 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: I actually have no problem having a small staff.

I'll bet your wife is not very happy about it.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I'm sure that's always true... if 1 of those people in your FO are Bill Belichick, and your QB is Tom Brady.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2017, 08:52 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: I actually have no problem having a small staff. I have a problem with the people on the small staff.

Beat me to it

Yes the makeup of whatever size staff is way more important than the numbers.
Reply/Quote
If that's true the bengals should be better than they are
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2017, 09:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'll bet your wife is not very happy about it.

She knew what she was getting  Cool
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2017, 08:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He is the Patriots HC dude.

Cheating is never good in my eyes. Takes away the greatness of winning fair and square.

You realize if it weren't for Brady, Belichick and the Patriots the Steelers would have like 10 SB wins by now, right?
Reply/Quote
BB's record speaks for itself. You may hate him but he is a genius.
[img]http://[Image: power-rangers-dinozords-ranking-tigerzor...mhpcjr.jpg][/img]
Reply/Quote
He certainly wasn't talking about FO/scouting department, as I'm sure there's is probably double the size of the Bengals.

As far as coaching staff, I'm cool with whatever Marv is more comfortable with. It's not like Belichick has a skeleton crew in NE.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2017, 08:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He is the Patriots HC dude.

He simply

I think any of us will give up a 1st round draft pick for a SB trophy
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2017, 09:59 PM)Nately120 Wrote: You realize if it weren't for Brady, Belichick and the Patriots the Steelers would have like 10 SB wins by now, right?

They do own the Steelers, i will give them that. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 02:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: They do own the Steelers, i will give them that. :andy:

Yes they do. I friggin love it. Honestly, you just don't get any better than BB and TB. Whenever we play them, I pretty much know we are in for a really tough game and one we will most likely lose. However, any given Sunday! We've done it before.

Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 03:00 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yes they do. I friggin love it. Honestly, you just don't get any better than BB and TB. Whenever we play them, I pretty much know we are in for a really tough game and one we will most likely lose. However, any given Sunday! We've done it before.

If we keep their main weapons from beating us we can beat them. Last year we were in it till we let Gronk free.

They are beatable and as you said we did it before. Marv just needs to have a great gameplan going in cause we all know
he cannot adjust in the damn game. Take away the big play receivers and run the ball on them and you can beat them.

Keep Brady off the field.

You know Harley, what the Falcons did not do lol
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2017, 03:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If we keep their main weapons from beating us we can beat them. Last year we were in it till we let Gronk free.

They are beatable and as you said we did it before. Marv just needs to have a great gameplan going in cause we all know
he cannot adjust in the damn game. Take away the big play receivers and run the ball on them and you can beat them.

Keep Brady off the field.

You know Harley, what the Falcons did not do lol

Yeah, they failed to do that. Came out strong like the Bengals and finished like the Bengals. We do that a lot. Very photographic of last season and many of our losses in the past years. Wish we could stay strong for 60 minutes. Here's the thing, Falcons made it to the SB. Going into halftime, the Falcons appeared to be the dominate team. Then, it was like Marvin took over as coach and said, "Hey, we can't lead by more than 7. It hurts the other teams feelings?" In our win against the Pats, they were driving down the field and if I remembered right, there was a downpour. I was so thankful for the rain, but damnit! It took away our pride in a way. Yet, a win is a win. That was 2013. Another 1 and done in the playoffs..

Damn I sound so pessimistic, however my tail keeps waggin. Must be something. I'm pretty fired up about our season and our rookies. We might be in for a special treat!

Reply/Quote
Yeah brother it did seem like Marv took over there didn't it that second half? Nervous

WTF?

You're awesome Harley great post, i think we may be surprised how good this team could be.

As bad as Marv is as a coach, he is great at putting a great team together and this is his best IMHO.

O-line? We will see and everybody knows it. Mellow
Reply/Quote