Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill Lazor Stats
It's all doom and gloom around here anymore (for good reason). I thought I'd give some in depth stats on Lazor throughout his coaching career.

Bill Lazor has been offensive coordinator for 2 NFL teams prior to this season.

He coached for 2 years with the Buffalo Bills. His first season, the team ranked 27th in points with 27 total touchdowns. They threw 20 INTs and lost 13 fumbles.
However, his 2nd season was much more improved. The team ranked 11th in points with 41 total touchdowns. They threw 15 INTs and lost 14 fumbles.
Throughout those two seasons, his offense scored 24 or more points in 14 games. 8 of those games came in his 2nd season.

When he was a coach for the Dolphins, he coached for almost 2 season. His first season, the team ranked 11th in points with 39 total touchdowns. They threw 12 INTs and lost 12 fumbles.
His 2nd season up until he got fired (11 games), they scored 26 total touchdowns. They threw 11 INTs and lost 7 fumbles.
Throughout two seasons, his offense scored 24 or more points in 11 games. 9 of those games came in his first season.

When offensive coordinator, his team has scored 24 or more points in 25 games out of 59 games.

Bill Lazor specializes in the passing game. His passing offense ranked 12th, 5th, and 17th in passing yards. (Not going to do all the math for 11 games his final year).
His passing offense ranked tied for 17th, 11th, 14th in passing touchdowns.

But wait, he's done more than that.

When he was the Eagles QB coach in 2013, Nick Foles had a career year throwing for 27 TDs and 2 INTs. The passing offense had 32 total touchdowns compared to 9 INTs. They ranked 9th in passing yards and tied for 5th with TDs.
He was the QB coach for the Seahawks in 2008-09. He had higher success with Seneca Wallace, but Hasselbeck was on the decline majorly, plus due to injuries Charlie Frye started games as well.
He had mixed results while coaching for the Washington Redskins. As offensive assistant, his first year they ranked 31st in scoring, but the next they jumped up to 13th. He then moved to QB coach; where, again, there were struggles in his first year, but then improvement came.

Bill Lazor seems to have improved and had more consistency lately rather than when he first started off, so there is some positivity in this move. It may not save the season, but hopefully it gives us something to look forward to with the offense rather than what we've dealt with the last 2 games.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm just happy he has experience. If anything this will make the next few games interesting at least. As much as I hate for anyone to lose their job I still think PA deserves to be shown the door also. I hope Bill does a good job, he has the rest of the season to show what he can do. It's just a shame the person responsible for this mess of a line is still here and will possibly be the downfall of Bill before he ever gets to shine.
Reply/Quote
I read an article that included a bit from an interview with Tyler Boyd, from one of the fanboy sites, might have been Cincy Jungle. Boyd came out and said that Zampese was making things too complicated, having too many options for every route, on every play. Basically said that his offensive scheme caused him to be bogged down in thinking about too many things, rather than just going out there and playing the game.

I'd say that Lazor's big challenge is going to be getting defenders out of the box, so that the running game can get some success. All he can do is take a hard look at the talent that he has available, look at what they can execute well, and translate that into a plan of attack on the next defense they face.

It's not a position that I envy, with Lazor. I'm not expecting any sort of miracles to happen overnight. I'm just hoping that he can sort out some of the problems, and enable the offense to sustain some drives. Eventually, that will result in some scoring.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 07:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I read an article that included a bit from an interview with Tyler Boyd, from one of the fanboy sites, might have been Cincy Jungle.  Boyd came out and said that Zampese was making things too complicated, having too many options for every route, on every play.  Basically said that his offensive scheme caused him to be bogged down in thinking about too many things, rather than just going out there and playing the game.

I'd say that Lazor's big challenge is going to be getting defenders out of the box, so that the running game can get some success.  All he can do is take a hard look at the talent that he has available, look at what they can execute well, and translate that into a plan of attack on the next defense they face.  

It's not a position that I envy, with Lazor.  I'm not expecting any sort of miracles to happen overnight.  I'm just hoping that he can sort out some of the problems, and enable the offense to sustain some drives.  Eventually, that will result in some scoring.

Well said.  Hopefully, the move will pay dividends, but Lazor is coming into a tough situation trying to install can new offense in mid season.  Interesting that the offense was thought to be too complicated, because there is a lot of young talent on the offense.  A simpler scheme will hopefully let the youngsters just play. There have seemed to be times where receivers just didn't make it to the right place, and it's hard to make those timing throws when everyone isn't on the same page. In hurry up mode, the offense actually looked pretty decent.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 07:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I read an article that included a bit from an interview with Tyler Boyd, from one of the fanboy sites, might have been Cincy Jungle.  Boyd came out and said that Zampese was making things too complicated, having too many options for every route, on every play.  Basically said that his offensive scheme caused him to be bogged down in thinking about too many things, rather than just going out there and playing the game.

I'd say that Lazor's big challenge is going to be getting defenders out of the box, so that the running game can get some success.  All he can do is take a hard look at the talent that he has available, look at what they can execute well, and translate that into a plan of attack on the next defense they face.  

It's not a position that I envy, with Lazor.  I'm not expecting any sort of miracles to happen overnight.  I'm just hoping that he can sort out some of the problems, and enable the offense to sustain some drives.  Eventually, that will result in some scoring.

I saw that too, and it's strange because the offense looked so simple and vanilla that it wasn't fooling anyone.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 08:27 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I saw that too, and it's strange because the offense looked so simple and vanilla that it wasn't fooling anyone.

Plays are plays.  What makes it complicated is excess terminology, too many do this in case of.., if that happens do that..  etc.  

In my mind, you have a veteran QB that has seen a lot in his years, why not just give him a personnel group that he likes, and let him run a "check with me" offense from the line??

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
We need a change fast. Of course he wont be able to do that but I guess one could hope for a miracle? I mean since Wolfkasaun took the time to break all this down in an attempt to give us some hope and all, doesn't hurt to get dreams crushed twice in the same season I guess? We're used to it anyway.

Reply/Quote

Wasn't this also the case with a former OC (I wanna say Gruden)?
IIRC, things got much simpler going from Gruden to Hue or Brat to Gruden.

And it would make sense make things simpler. Not every football player in the NFL is a scholar. Keep the playbook smaller and let the players make things happen.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 09:21 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: We need a change fast. Of course he wont be able to do that but I guess one could hope for a miracle? I mean since Wolfkasaun took the time to break all this down in an attempt to give us some hope and all, doesn't hurt to get dreams crushed twice in the same season I guess? We're used to it anyway.

The "check with me" thing could really work.  They have communications to tell Andy the tendencies they are seeing from the booth.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 09:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The "check with me" thing could really work.  They have communications to tell Andy the tendencies they are seeing from the booth.

Yes. I don't doubt that at all. Anything at this point is a good thing. Even if Lazor sucks. The rudder moved just a little bit!

Reply/Quote
I think it's too much to expect Lazor to come in and win at Lambeau after his first week. But if we score some TDs and make some smart decisions I'll be happy.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 09:59 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I think it's too much to expect Lazor to come in and win at Lambeau after his first week.  But if we score some TDs and make some smart decisions I'll be happy.

I totally agree. Improvement is what we need. His challenge, is getting this offense a reason to believe again. Marvin can't do it. He just don't have the capability and I feel most of the players have lost respect for him anyway. A lot on his shoulders. Let's see how he does.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 09:21 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: We need a change fast. Of course he wont be able to do that but I guess one could hope for a miracle? I mean since Wolfkasaun took the time to break all this down in an attempt to give us some hope and all, doesn't hurt to get dreams crushed twice in the same season I guess? We're used to it anyway.

I hope he can see the problems and find suitable fixes. Don't expect miracles. jut sound play calling and execution. maybe he could also assume responsibility for clock management. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 09:59 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I think it's too much to expect Lazor to come in and win at Lambeau after his first week.  But if we score some TDs and make some smart decisions I'll be happy.

That's all I'd like to see myself. Just a couple TD's and an offense that looks like it's gaining some chemistry and heading in the right direction. Leave Ross and Mixon on the field and quit switching backs every other play. For gawd's sake find some rhythm !

We'll worry about winning later.

(09-19-2017, 10:05 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I totally agree. Improvement is what we need. His challenge, is getting this offense a reason to believe again. Marvin can't do it. He just don't have the capability and I feel most of the players have lost respect for him anyway. A lot on his shoulders. Let's see how he does.

Agree
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 10:05 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I totally agree. Improvement is what we need. His challenge, is getting this offense a reason to believe again. Marvin can't do it. He just don't have the capability and I feel most of the players have lost respect for him anyway. A lot on his shoulders. Let's see how he does.

I don't think the players lost respect for Marvin or A. Jones would of rode the pine after that brutal hit our safety gave him on the elbow S. Williams. I have no problem with keeping Marvin as coach if we can get a few playoff wins. Just think he needs to be more aggressive as a coach and hold people accountable. We need to give the young linemen time to get better but Bodine is not young he should be up to par as many games as he has played. Only change I really want to see is PA replaced and Marvin if he cant get us the playoff wins.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 09:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Wasn't this also the case with a former OC (I wanna say Gruden)?
IIRC, things got much simpler going from Gruden to Hue or Brat to Gruden.

And it would make sense make things simpler. Not every football player in the NFL is a scholar. Keep the playbook smaller and let the players make things happen.

Gruden had fairly simplified terminology, from what I remember.  That's a big reason he was hired, because he had to install the offense during the lockout season with a rookie QB.  Brat's terminology was pretty complicated, iirc.
Reply/Quote
Can we get some Tigers with freaking Lazor beams on their heads in here....

really is that too much to ask for? Some Tigers with some freaking Lazor beams......
Reply/Quote

I suppose the good news is that the way the defense has played, even a small turnaround by the offense should lead to a lot more W's.
Reply/Quote
I suspect just simplifying the route trees, terminology and blocking schemes combined with less rotating players in and out will yield some benefits right off.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 06:25 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Throughout those two seasons, his offense scored 24 or more points in 14 games. 
When offensive coordinator, his team has scored 24 or more points in 25 games out of 59 games.

If this offense scores 24 points (or more) they will win a lot of games.  And I would argue he has a lot more to work with here than he did in his other spots.  

The big question: Will he do something as simple as having the RB in to chip an end before sliding out as an outlet?  Will he use a TE as an extra blocker on the side of an outstanding rusher like Suggs?  (BTW, I think we have a NFC mirror in the Giants.  All I hear is the exact same complaints about their line, mostly their LT, and how the scheme doesn't help their deficiencies).  If he can get more out of the line, he will be successful.

I also believe we will see more balance in rushing attempts (not between the back, but # of plays).  I saw an amazing stat that showed Dalton is something like 40-4-2 when they have 30 or more rush attempts.
Reply/Quote