Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill Lazor keeping it a mystery
This was an interesting story to do, mainly because even Bill couldn't really put a finger on what "kind" of offense he runs. And no one I talked to could, either. His background is so diverse, the basics are this: Whatever his offense can do best, is what they will do.
West Coast? Coryell? Play action vertical throws? Chip Kelly? Zone runs a la 80s Washington teams? Yes to all and more. The consensus is he'll call plays that best suit Dalton on down, regardless of what "system" you want to put it in.

Another interesting note, from the media perspective: it says a lot when guys run to the phone to talk. Gibbs, Reeves, Philbin et al. couldn't wait to speak about Bill. But they all know he's got to put it together this year.

As always, so much doesn't get into something like this (despite the length) so any questions or what not leave 'em here and I'll get into it.

Thanks in advance for the reads, shares and consistent support of our work over at The Enquirer.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/05/21/offensive-coordinator-bill-lazors-past-sets-up-cincinnati-bengals-future/621995002/
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
I hope that he remains vague when pressed for details, even though as a selfish fan I'd love to know everything about his offense. But if I know these things, then too many other people know them. My hopes are that all of us can just sit back and watch the show. Let our opponents struggle as they try to figure out what just hit them. I look forward to Game Day, sitting on my sofa, and wondering out loud "How in the world did we do that?"
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
Anything that does not involve Dalton throwing on the run is fine with me. Dalton moves well but he is not the best at keeping his eyes downfield while he runs.
Reply/Quote
A wonderful read Jim O, you are pretty good at what you do to say the least. Cool

Thanks for this, i know i am the more optimistic fan of the bunch but i really think optimism has merit this year once
the new coaches gel with the players. Lazor was thrown into some quick sand last year and as Marv said he didn't
throw his hands up in the air as some would do. He adapted and the Offense finally got better once he changed up
the blocking scheme.

With Pollack coaching up a decent O-line Lazor and Dalton should thrive...

And of course Joe Mixon.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2018, 01:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Anything that does not involve Dalton throwing on the run is fine with me.  Dalton moves well but he is not the best at keeping his eyes downfield while he runs.

You are absolutely correct
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
You and your colleague do a great job covering the Bengals and reaching out to fans.

Thank you!
Reply/Quote
If we can see Dalton do something that we've never seen him do before, THEN I'll be impressed with what the new coach is doing... that's what new coaches were acquired after all right?
Reply/Quote
Great read

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Well, they either sink or swim with Lazor and almost entirely new offensive coaching staff. Hopefully they set new records in a positive direction. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-21-2018, 03:25 PM)grampahol Wrote: Well, they either sink or swim with Lazor and almost entirely new offensive coaching staff. Hopefully they set new records in a positive direction. 

If the O-line opens up holes in the run game and gives Dalton time i say we swim.

Pollack is essential to Lazor's success.
Reply/Quote
Great article Jim.  Thanks so much for joining us and investing in us.  

And pretty much what I expected given Lazor's coaching and verbiage last year.

I like the changes I saw as the season went along - especially the last couple of games.  I'm thinking the Chicago and Minnesota games created a sense of urgency in the guy that resulted in some immediate changes and some changes in the staff.

Pretty promising really.

I like the fact he's unwilling to say what it's going to be.  I think that may be because it's going to have to evolve through the preseason and the season itself.

But there is no question that he's got a plan, that he's knowledgeable and that he is not afraid to push the status quo around in order to achieve his goals.

I am very hungry for the season.   Extremely hungry.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2018, 01:03 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: I hope that he remains vague when pressed for details, even though as a selfish fan I'd love to know everything about his offense. But if I know these things, then too many other people know them. My hopes are that all of us can just sit back and watch the show. Let our opponents struggle as they try to figure out what just hit them. I look forward to Game Day, sitting on my sofa, and wondering out loud "How in the world did we do that?"

I cant wait either. You're right, I wanna sit and watch the game and learn new stuff at the same time the competition dues. This shit gets me excited.

Reply/Quote
Jim, did you try and get Chip Kelly in this article? I was always curious what kind of influence he had on Lazor and how much will he use. I would assume we see a lot given he pushed for the same WR coach.

Wasn’t sure if you just focused elsewhere, or Chip was a pain to nail down, either wouldn’t surprise me.
Reply/Quote
Thanks for the time you spend here Jim, nice article.

I'm getting anxious to see what Lazor and the team put out there for us. We needed a new direction to say the least ! The Gru/Jack/Pesse offense was very stale and predictable.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2018, 11:42 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Jim, did you try and get Chip Kelly in this article?  I was always curious what kind of influence he had on Lazor and how much will he use.  I would assume we see a lot given he pushed for the same WR coach.  

Wasn’t sure if you just focused elsewhere, or Chip was a pain to nail down, either wouldn’t surprise me.

3 oclock high??
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2018, 01:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Anything that does not involve Dalton throwing on the run is fine with me.  Dalton moves well but he is not the best at keeping his eyes downfield while he runs.

I don't know. Dalton has made some really good throws on the run. One of his best throws was on the run (2015 against KC).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16ozjm1rgl8

Out of the top 5 plays for Daltons 2015 highlights only 1 of them was a pass in the pocket. Dalton is good on the run.
Reply/Quote
There are only so many plays any coach can come up with. I don't think there's really any mystery to it outside of just getting the team to play well together and win games.  I'm not picking on you scribes Jim.. Its what you do for a living. I made fun of Hobson because I can and sometimes he deserves it..  Hell, sometimes I deserve it although I do my best to attempt to be perfect at all times. Yes, I'm a dismal failure at perfection. lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-21-2018, 02:46 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: If we can see Dalton do something that we've never seen him do before, THEN I'll be impressed with what the new coach is doing...  that's what new coaches were acquired after all right?

Heck, I will be thrilled to get something that Dalton HAS done before....the start of the 2015 season, only this time, he finishes it.  
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2018, 12:24 PM)jowczarski Wrote: This was an interesting story to do, mainly because even Bill couldn't really put a finger on what "kind" of offense he runs. And no one I talked to could, either. His background is so diverse, the basics are this: Whatever his offense can do best, is what they will do. 

When one has reached maturity in the art, one will have a formless form. It is like ice dissolving in water. When one has no form, one can be all forms; when one has no style, he can fit in with any style.

In primary freedom, one utilizes all ways and is bound by none, and likewise uses any techniques or means which serves one's end. Efficiency is anything that scores.

--Bruce Lee

Sounds like Lazor will be using the Jeet Kune Do offense
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2018, 07:54 AM)fredtoast Wrote: When one has reached maturity in the art, one will have a formless form. It is like ice dissolving in water. When one has no form, one can be all forms; when one has no style, he can fit in with any style.

In primary freedom, one utilizes all ways and is bound by none, and likewise uses any techniques or means which serves one's end. Efficiency is anything that scores.

--Bruce Lee

Sounds like Lazor will be using the Jeet Kune Do offense

So by what your posting, when opposing Ds think Lazor is going to wax-on, he will wax-off?

I wrote WAX gutterminds! You can’t wax-a-mole (well, I guess for the sake off discussion we’ll assume you can’t but I’m sure someone has).

Reply/Quote