Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill Lazor to Washington
(01-30-2019, 07:43 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: The only way they can aquire a QB under is by draft; they can't trade for Dalton because Smith money is guaranteed for the next two years. For example they can't cut him because it would cost them 50 million in cap space next season.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/redskins-have-no-real-options-deal-alex-smiths-2019-salary

They can still trade for dalton.  Yeah alex smith counts 20 mil towards cap.  But they are still about 16 mil under cap with his contract.  Andys cap hit is 16 mil.  They could restructure a few deals and free up another 10-15 mil and easily slide andys contract in and keep smith on ir all year if he is still in plans for future.  Yeah its a crappy situatuon for washington but none of this would prevent a trade for dalton if they wanted him and bengals would be willing to deal him. I feel like bengals fans have been hobsonized when it comes to the cap. We have 50 + million every year and as soon as we spend 20 hobson starts talking about how the cubbord is bare. There are plenty of ways to create cap money that the bengals never would do under current ownership. Many other teams work the cap when needed to add a piece they think could take them over the top and dan snyder is one of the owners that will manipulate the cap as needed.

The biggest obstacle for this deal isnt the money or alex smiths contract. Its that the bengals probably arent much interested in trading dalton so its gonna be a high price. I would assume they would ask for the 15 pick and 2nd round pick for them to even consider trading him. That a pretty steep price for dalton.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 06:55 PM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: Alex Smith's career is in doubt after his recent injury. 

There is no way the Redskins could pay both Smith and Dalton. And they can't just get out from under Smiths contract.

They almost have to draft a QB for salary purposes.
Reply/Quote
Trade Dalton and pickup Jacoby Brissett.
Tiger

2024 MOCK DRAFT (4 ROUND)

1ST ROUND-OT-JC LATHAM-ALABAMA
2ND ROUND-OG-COOPER BEEBE-KANSAS
3RD ROUND-DT-DEWAYNE CARTER-DUKE
3RD ROUND-WR-JACOB COWING-ARIZONA
4TH ROUND-CB-MIKE SAINRISTIL-MICHIGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 08:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There is no way the Redskins could pay both Smith and Dalton. And they can't just get out from under Smiths contract.

They almost have to draft a QB for salary purposes.

They can actually easily pay both qbs if they wanted.  It would be just a few million more than drew brees cap hit.  They have the money to do it easily if thats what they wanted to do.  They can just about fit dalton in cap now, but they would have to restrucure or cut other players to add additional players in fa / draft picks.  

Restructure richardson and possibly extend/restructure trent williams or kerrigan. If they cut josh norman and or vernon davis they could add dalton and still have 20+ mil in cap room.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 07:45 PM)GodFather Wrote: Dalton isn't going anywhere. Duke already said Andy is going to be a big part of 2019 as the Bengals QB.

^^^ This. We'll spend our picks filling our own holes.

I believe Washington will draft their potential future QB in this year's draft. A guy like Ryan Finley is a possibility for them at 15.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 07:41 PM)pally Wrote: He interviewed....so did Ken Zampese

LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO Snyder is a bigger idiot than Mikey!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 09:29 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: Trade Dalton and pickup Jacoby Brissett.

Sure better than overpaying for guys like Tannehill or Carr.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 08:20 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: They can still trade for dalton.  Yeah alex smith counts 20 mil towards cap.  But they are still about 16 mil under cap with his contract.  Andys cap hit is 16 mil.  They could restructure a few deals and free up another 10-15 mil and easily slide andys contract in and keep smith on ir all year if he is still in plans for future.  Yeah its a crappy situatuon for washington but none of this would prevent a trade for dalton if they wanted him and bengals would be willing to deal him.  I feel like bengals fans have been hobsonized when it comes to the cap.  We have 50 + million every year and as soon as we spend 20 hobson starts talking about how the cubbord is bare.  There are plenty of ways to create cap money that the bengals never would do under current ownership.  Many other teams work the cap when needed to add a piece they think could take them over the top and dan snyder is one of the owners that will manipulate the cap as needed.

The biggest obstacle for this deal isnt the money or alex smiths contract.  Its that the bengals probably arent much interested in trading dalton so its gonna be a high price.  I would assume they would ask for the 15 pick and 2nd round pick for them to even consider trading him.  That a pretty steep price for dalton.

If it ever comes down to the Bengals even considering trading Dalton to Washington they (Washington) have zero leverage and the Bengals have ALL of it so the only logical thing would be to demand the moon, stars and the sun in return and hope Snyder even has access to Cape Canaveral .. I doubt he does. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 07:45 PM)GodFather Wrote: Dalton isn't going anywhere. Duke already said Andy is going to be a big part of 2019 as the Bengals QB.

Might be honest, might be just blowing hot air.  At this point, Duke would be an idiot to say anything but this. 
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 08:11 PM)McC Wrote: Just can't see the benefit of trading Andy and leaving the brand new HC with no QB for his first year. How could a new coach ever agree to that? So now you HAVE TO draft a QB or sign some scrub who has already proven not to be a legit starter to try to be your starter. What a way to start a new regime.

Yeah I’m still trying to figure out who our QB will be in this scenario.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Damn. Maybe we should have kept him a while longer and we could have traded him for Callahan.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 08:11 PM)McC Wrote: Just can't see the benefit of trading Andy and leaving the brand new HC with no QB for his first year.  How could a new coach ever agree to that?  So now you HAVE TO draft a QB or sign some scrub who has already proven not to be a legit starter to try to be your starter.  What a way to start a new regime.

It all depends on what our new genius HC wants.  If he comes in here and says he wants to move on from Dalton, I'm not going to disagree with him until he proves he's a dum dum.  It's hard to follow the narrative of new amazing HC with a new amazing direction if we are also expecting him to tow the company like at the most important position. What does ZT want at QB? I'll side with him. In for a penny, in for a pound. Also, I don't see Dalton getting another contract here, so we should move him if/when we can...and I don't mean pull a McCarron and ask for the moon and then just let him walk as a FA, either.

How often does a new HC and coaching staff come into an NFL team and spend the next 4+ years rolling with the same QB the franchize has had for 8 years, particularly one who had 3 losing season in a row?  I'm not ragging on Dalton, but if we are going to fully rebuild like the other teams we need the young offensive HC, a QB on a rookie QB, and an active FO that will spend the money saved on the QB on free agents.

EDIT - I recall pointing out that of all the young genius offensive HC's hired lately the ones that succeeded had QBs on rookie contracts, and the one that failed was the one working with ho-hum vets like Tannehill and Cutler instead of having to start with a scrub bridge QB and a rookie contract QB. Just saying. Are we going to put ZT in a situation like the Rams, Eagles, or Bears....or are we going to set him up like the Dolphins set up Gase before they fired him?

Not holding my breath on that, but sending Dalton to a QB-needy team for a 2nd round pick and something extra would look more like a step in the right direction, if that's the path we are emulating.  Tannehill should be a system-backup on the cheap by the time rosters are being sorted out.  He's either going to be here or on the Jets backing up Darnold, right?
Reply/Quote