Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bill Maher disses Trump dictator narrative
(05-19-2024, 04:08 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I have also enjoyed his humor in the past, but to be honest he has embraced some really out there ideas. Most of his positions are all over the place on the political spectrum, which is reflective of most of society in general. Probably why he is so popular. He isn't right or left, just has ad hoc opinions on things that run the gambit, really.

I agree, he does get into some whacked out stuff. I am sure some of it he truly believes and other parts are him having pharmaceuticals in his system and enjoying the moment with his guests.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2024, 10:41 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Stewart himself caught some backlash when he had the audacity to humorously mention that Covid may have originated in a Wuhan lab instead of a market down the street on one of the late night talk shows.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sSfejgwbDQ8

Which is still baffling to me. I do not understand the denial of that possibility by so many. I brought it up early on in the pandemic and I still think this is a likely reason. It got out of a lab unintentionally because of poor oversight.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Coronavirus?pid=855760#pid855760
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2024, 07:39 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Which is still baffling to me. I do not understand the denial of that possibility by so many. I brought it up early on in the pandemic and I still think this is a likely reason. It got out of a lab unintentionally because of poor oversight.

I don’t get it myself. Maybe because Tom Cotton brought it up and was dismissed as a fringe conspiracy theorist so his thoughts shouldn’t be parroted? IDK
Reply/Quote
Excellent conversation.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2024, 12:47 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Long Time liberal Bill Maher says no evidence Trump was or is.a dictator. He went on to say the attacks by Democrats bores him. He also said Biden is only debating Trump because he is losing. He floated the idea Biden should be replaced.

I can't find where Maher actually said the bolded.

And I think you missed this part:

[Maher] thinks that the right is more dangerous and he espouses “the Blue Liquid Doctrine”: “If it’s Trump against Biden, I will vote for Biden’s head in a jar of blue liquid.” 

Also, Maher's decision not to worry about a Trump presidency doesn't seem to me particularly well reasoned, just an expression of exhaustion.

Trump is still the guy who attempted a coup, wants executive immunity and has promised "retribution" upon re-election. 
If he had Kathy Griffin investigated by the DOJ and put on an interpol no-fly list for her infamous photograph, what will he do to the many
former staff who now declare him unfit for office, or the prosecutors and judges now holding him accountable for a range of 
"alleged" crimes?  

THAT'S what people ought to be considering when deciding who should be leading the country, not Maher's low tolerance for anxiety. 
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2024, 07:39 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Which is still baffling to me. I do not understand the denial of that possibility by so many. I brought it up early on in the pandemic and I still think this is a likely reason. It got out of a lab unintentionally because of poor oversight.

(05-20-2024, 12:10 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: I don’t get it myself. Maybe because Tom Cotton brought it up and was dismissed as a fringe conspiracy theorist so his thoughts shouldn’t be parroted? IDK

My friends and I were discussing that this weekend.  Not only was it labeled a conspiracy theory, it was also branded as racist.  The really unfortunate thing is that this "conspiracy theory" being proven to be 100% true really gives a lot of ammunition to other theories and theorists.

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2024, 01:19 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: My friends and I were discussing that this weekend.  Not only was it labeled a conspiracy theory, it was also branded as racist.  The really unfortunate thing is that this "conspiracy theory" being proven to be 100% true really gives a lot of ammunition to other theories and theorists.

More racist than say, let me see here…people down the road munching on bat eyeballs.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2024, 01:19 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: My friends and I were discussing that this weekend.  Not only was it labeled a conspiracy theory, it was also branded as racist.  The really unfortunate thing is that this "conspiracy theory" being proven to be 100% true really gives a lot of ammunition to other theories and theorists.

What was surprising to me is that we never heard anything about the news I shared in that post after that. Not a thing. My suspicion is that the government tried hard to quiet that down to avoid the blame game that would no doubt result. No matter the place on the political spectrum, government officials with a modicum of sense would know that wouldn't have been good.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2024, 01:21 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: More racist than say, let me see here…people down the road munching on bat eyeballs.

Right?

(05-20-2024, 01:30 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: What was surprising to me is that we never heard anything about the news I shared in that post after that. Not a thing. My suspicion is that the government tried hard to quiet that down to avoid the blame game that would no doubt result. No matter the place on the political spectrum, government officials with a modicum of sense would know that wouldn't have been good.

It didn't surprise me for the exact reasons you mention.  That plus admitting that not only were you 100% wrong, but you hurled some very nasty accusations at the people who were correct.  The whole Covid thing probably did more to damage faith in our government, ill-warranted as it was, than any other event in my lifetime.

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2024, 02:10 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It didn't surprise me for the exact reasons you mention.  That plus admitting that not only were you 100% wrong, but you hurled some very nasty accusations at the people who were correct.  The whole Covid thing probably did more to damage faith in our government, ill-warranted as it was, than any other event in my lifetime.

See, this is where I differ from a lot of my bureaucratic colleagues. I want scrutiny from the media. I want an antagonistic fourth estate that is out there to uncover these things and tell all about it. I don't want the government to hand it to them, but I don't want them to squash stories, either. I think our government operates in a more ethical manner and more for the people when we have a healthy, antagonistic media environment for it to operate in.

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2024, 02:26 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: See, this is where I differ from a lot of my bureaucratic colleagues. I want scrutiny from the media. I want an antagonistic fourth estate that is out there to uncover these things and tell all about it. I don't want the government to hand it to them, but I don't want them to squash stories, either. I think our government operates in a more ethical manner and more for the people when we have a healthy, antagonistic media environment for it to operate in.

I could not agree more.  Sadly, we're light years away from that right now.

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2024, 02:31 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I could not agree more.  Sadly, we're light years away from that right now.

Yep. No matter who is in office, there are too many media outlets that are too close to them.

Reply/Quote
Different topic, still Bill Maher. Now he’s really done it.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/bill-maher-swipes-bidens-speech-black-graduates-were-not-living-world-talking-about
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2024, 12:28 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Different topic, still Bill Maher. Now he’s really done it.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/bill-maher-swipes-bidens-speech-black-graduates-were-not-living-world-talking-about

Same interview.  Now the MAGAs don't like him again.    Cry

https://www.foxnews.com/media/bill-maher-gutfeld-clash-trump-fox-news

Quote:Bill Maher, Gutfeld clash over Trump on Fox News: 'We agree on some things' but not 'the most important thing'

The liberal comedian is out with his new book 'What This Comedian Said Will Shock You'

By Joseph A. Wulfsohn Fox News
Published May 21, 2024 12:15am EDT
Bill Maher and I agree on today’s ‘insanity’: Gutfeld
Fox News host Greg Gutfeld discusses the similarities and differences between his views and comedian Bill Maher’s on ‘Gutfeld!’

"Gutfeld!" host Greg Gutfeld and "Real Time" host Bill Maher had a combative exchange about former President Trump, specifically over whether the presumptive Republican nominee would concede the upcoming election if he lost.

Maher agreed with the thesis of Gutfeld's opening monologue Monday about the importance of conversations with those across the aisle and pointed out that while he and Gutfeld "agree on some things," they aren't "exactly aligned on the most important thing."
"Trump is someone who does not concede elections. It's the most important thing," Maher said on "Gutfeld!" on Fox News. "You don't seem to see it that way. That's the most important thing that's going on in this country. He didn't concede the last election. He's not going to concede this election."

"You don't know that!" Gutfeld interjected. "You don't see into the future, Bill."

"Yeah, I did," Maher shot back. "Because I was the only one who was talking about that way back when. And everybody said, ‘Oh, you smoke too much pot.’ Turned out I smoked just the right amount."

BILL MAHER REVIVES PUSH TO REMOVE BIDEN FROM TICKET: ONLY DEBATING TRUMP BECAUSE HE ‘KNOWS HE’S LOSING'
[Image: GutfeldMaher.jpg?ve=1&tl=1]
Fox News' Greg Gutfeld and "Real Time" host Bill Maher clash over former President Trump on "Gutfeld!" (Fox News Channel)
Maher was referencing his outspoken prediction that then-President Trump would refuse to leave office willingly, long before Trump refused to accept the results of the 2020 election.

"Can you really picture this guy going, ‘You know what, I lost. That’s it'?" Maher asked. 

"He did – he left!" Gutfeld responded. 

"He left because he had to leave," Maher doubled down.  

BILL MAHER DEFENDS HARRIS BUTKER AMID SPEECH UPROAR: ‘I DON'T SEE WHAT THE BIG CRIME IS'

[/url]
"Yes, but that's how it works," Gutfeld said. "Do you think he's gonna, like, board up the White House, pull a 'Straw Dogs' with Dustin Hoffman?"

"Well, last time, he thought other Republicans would back him up," Maher responded. "When he called that guy in Georgia and said I need 11,000 votes, I want you to find-"

"He said ‘find,’ he didn't say ‘create,’" Gutfeld stressed. 

"Well, that's the same thing," Maher pushed back, to which Gutfeld replied, "No, it's not."
[Image: GutfeldMaher2.jpg?ve=1&tl=1]
Maher argued to Gutfeld that Trump will not concede the 2024 election if he's defeated. (Fox News Channel)

Maher, who is out with his new book "[url=https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/What-This-Comedian-Said-Will-Shock-You/Bill-Maher/9781668051351]What This Comedian Said Will Shock You
," later told Gutfeld it's "bothering" him that Trump appears to be winning the 2024 election because "he's an insurrectionist who doesn't believe in democracy" and "he's also insane and a criminal."

BILL MAHER UNLEASHES ON STORMY DANIELS' TESTIMONY IN TRUMP TRIAL: ‘SHE’S A BAD WITNESS!'

However, the liberal comedian did make a concession about Trump's youthfulness in comparison to President Biden after Gutfeld showed a clip of Trump joking around with the crowd at a recent campaign event.

"But I gotta say what works for him like when you use the clip you just showed. I mean look, he's almost the same age as Biden. But Biden presents as old. Ancient. That does not look old. He does not present as old," Maher said. "He's like [the rock band] KISS. He puts on the wig and the face paint, and it's 1976 all over again."
[Image: GettyImages-2028790976.jpg?ve=1&tl=1]
Maher conceded that former President Trump "does not present as old" in comparison President Biden despite being just four years apart. (Celal Gunes/Anadolu via Getty Images)

I had watched the clip the other day, it's worth the time.

Also this is a master class in writing to your audience.  Look at the difference between what Maher said about Trump "presenting" as young vs what is under the photo of Trump at the end of the article.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2024, 07:35 AM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: I agree, he does get into some whacked out stuff. I am sure some of it he truly believes and other parts are him having pharmaceuticals in his system and enjoying the moment with his guests.

I think the most likely explanation is the simplest: wacky shit is just fun to talk about.  

I listened to George Noory and Art Bell before him a lot when I worked 3rd shift.  I thought the stuff they discussed was bat-crap crazy most of the time, but it was certainly a good filler on my 30 minute drive home. You only run into problems when people get obsessive about believing.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2024, 05:16 PM)samhain Wrote: I think the most likely explanation is the simplest: wacky shit is just fun to talk about.  

I listened to George Noory and Art Bell before him a lot when I worked 3rd shift.  I thought the stuff they discussed was bat-crap crazy most of the time, but it was certainly a good filler on my 30 minute drive home.  You only run into problems when people get obsessive about believing.

I would agree.

Enjoying the experience that people feed into into a mass event.

Thank you for the better wording.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2024, 09:28 AM)GMDino Wrote: Same interview.  Now the MAGAs don't like him again.    Cry
https://www.foxnews.com/media/bill-maher-gutfeld-clash-trump-fox-news

"Trump is someone who does not concede elections. It's the most important thing," Maher said on "Gutfeld!" on Fox News. "You don't seem to see it that way. That's the most important thing that's going on in this country. He didn't concede the last election. He's not going to concede this election."

"You don't know that!" Gutfeld interjected. "You don't see into the future, Bill."

Actually, Bill did see into the future in 2020.

The denial is amazing. 
Reply/Quote
This video from December of 2023 popped up on Twitter for a different reason but it's one of my favorites when it comes to "Joe Rogan just wants to have a discussion!" bros.

Rogan just talks without thinking.  I suppose that is good in the sense that he has to ask a lot of questions to try and understand what his guest is saying which allows the listener to get more information.

But also it leads to him saying things that he has no idea about.  I wonder how often what he says is NOT caught while he's on air?

In this clip he fell for something that was edited to make it look like Biden said something but the actual clip was Biden repeating what Trump said.

https://x.com/ask_aubry/status/1738369905672454520

I've done radio, I've had a podcast (long before they (both) were what they are now), and guys like Rogan can afford to have a staff of people checking things for him and giving him the right info. If he doesn't he's an idiot. If he does they aren't doing a good job and neither is he.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote