Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill O'Brien
looks like he will be canned at the end of the year in Houston.

I think he should be given a strong look by the front office for the following reasons...

1. Current HC, no on the job training

2. Turned Penn State around after the (Joe Paterno/Sandusky scandal in short time, went 15-9 in two years)

3. Is offensive minded

4. Has won playoff games

5. Is a no nonsense in your face kind of coach, disciplinarian type

6. Disciple of Bellichek who has done something upon leaving

7. Won in Houston despite not having a Top 15 QB

8. Had a winning season in 3 of his 4 years in Houston

Agree or Disagree? If you disagree why?
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
I'd give him a look.

The part I have no clue on is if any of these guys can scout. Houston's owner wants to win and will spend.
Reply/Quote
WOwza, why would Houston can him? They won the division 2 years in a row despite having a laundry list of bad QBs and now that they finally have what looks like a franchise guy they're going to can him? I don't see this logical, at all. I guess I could look into it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I’ll take Matt Patricia over Bill O’Brien.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 01:09 AM)Nately120 Wrote: WOwza, why would Houston can him?  They won the division 2 years in a row despite having a laundry list of bad QBs and now that they finally have what looks like a franchise guy they're going to can him?  I don't see this logical, at all.  I guess I could look into it.

Some teams don't tolerate mediocrity.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 01:09 AM)Nately120 Wrote: WOwza, why would Houston can him?  They won the division 2 years in a row despite having a laundry list of bad QBs and now that they finally have what looks like a franchise guy they're going to can him?  I don't see this logical, at all.  I guess I could look into it.

http://www.nbcsports.com/boston/new-england-patriots/if-fired-texans-obrien-would-have-ripple-effect-coaching-searches

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/10/30/16571278/texans-bill-obrien-hot-seat-deshaun-watson-seahawks-loss
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 01:12 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’ll take Matt Patricia over Bill O’Brien.

Reasons?

He has little coaching experience outside of New England, has never been a HC...

Heck 10 years ago he was working as an engineer in upstate New York?  How would this be a good hire?
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 01:12 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Some teams don't tolerate mediocrity.

They won the division (a bad one, admittedly) despite having Brian Hoyer/Ryan Mallett and then Brock Osweiller who was given a zillion bucks without O'Brien even getting to meet him first.  That seems positively Herculean, rather than mediocre.  I guess they figure they're an attractive place to coach thanks to Watson now, so they may as well look before the place is a disaster like so many other teams do.
Reply/Quote
To be fair, this is a guy who determined that Tom freakin Savage beat ou Deshaun Watson for the starting QB role.

That said, if Houston is dumb enough to can the guy, I'd bring him on in a heartbeat.
Reply/Quote
I’d be down. He was one of the more impressive HC’s I’ve seen on Hard Knocks. I like his style.

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 01:18 AM)corpjet Wrote: Reasons?

He has little coaching experience outside of New England, has never been a HC...

Heck 10 years ago he was working as an engineer in upstate New York?  How would this be a good hire?

Contrary to popular belief the Cincinnati Bengals need a defensive minded head coach. Allowing 33 points by the Bad News Bears? That’s an embarrassment.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 01:49 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Contrary to popular belief the Cincinnati Bengals need a defensive minded head coach.  Allowing 33 points by the Bad News Bears?  That’s an embarrassment.

With that being said I hope that embarrassment yesterday solidified the notion for Mike Brown that Pauly G isn't the man for this job.....
Reply/Quote
Please let us get O'Brien. I really like him as a HC, and I think that he would be a good fit here. He's made Houston a pretty decent team with bad to mediocre QBs. I like the way he schemes his running game, and I think he can make Mixon a huge star (even though I think Mixon will be a star even w/o him). I would be really hyped up if we get him next season.

I know it's a pipe dream, but if we hire O'Brien and Brown gives him more control to hire FA's to help fill the holes we have I honestly think we could turn this team around fast. This team honestly doesn't have a bad core; it just has a few glaring needs that make the team a lot worse. A coach like O'Brien, a couple of FA's, and a good draft could make this team a Superbowl contender again. And yes, I know that's asking a lot.
Reply/Quote
I highly doubt O'Brien gets canned. Houston would be crazy.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 01:24 AM)Nately120 Wrote: They won the division (a bad one, admittedly) despite having Brian Hoyer/Ryan Mallett and then Brock Osweiller who was given a zillion bucks without O'Brien even getting to meet him first.  That seems positively Herculean, rather than mediocre.  I guess they figure they're an attractive place to coach thanks to Watson now, so they may as well look before the place is a disaster like so many other teams do.

Yeah you just have to wonder why they get rid of him now that they have a good QB.

Plus, IF he can't win with a good owner and front office...how will he fare here?
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 10:46 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah you just have to wonder why they get rid of him now that they have a good QB.

Plus, IF he can't win with a good owner and front office...how will he fare here?

The guy has done more in 3 years with crap QBs than Marvin has done in 14 years with pretty decent QBs, so I guess he'd have a decent shot here.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 01:12 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Some teams don't tolerate mediocrity.

One team in NFL not only tolerates mediocrity but prefers it.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 01:49 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Contrary to popular belief the Cincinnati Bengals need a defensive minded head coach.  Allowing 33 points by the Bad News Bears?  That’s an embarrassment.

the entire coaching staff needs to be gone. Gunther and defense coaches can't even teach our players how to tackle.

What the Bears did yesterday was a disgrace.
Reply/Quote
I'd be totally surprised if OBrien was let go, but if so, the Bengals should sign him before he even cleans out his desk in Houston.
Reply/Quote
McDaniels and Patricia are already interviewing. Let's hope MB doesn't wait until all the good coaches are gone before he decides to start interviewing candidates.....
Reply/Quote