Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill O'Brien
(12-11-2017, 12:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: McDaniels and Patricia are already interviewing. Let's hope MB doesn't wait until all the good coaches are gone before he decides to start interviewing candidates.....

Thats fine with me don't want either of them...........
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
I would really like to have him as our coach.
Reply/Quote
I'd take a meeting. The guy has owned us during his tenure in Houston.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 12:47 PM)corpjet Wrote: Thats fine with me don't want either of them...........

I don't either, really. I'm just using them as examples... MB can't wait until the last minute because all the good prospects will be taken.
Reply/Quote
I like Pat Shurmur.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 01:59 PM)falsestart Wrote: I like Pat Shurmur.

I think he will def get some interviews...........maybe second time is a charm for him.....
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Give me Todd Haley. Trade Dalton to Washington for whatever they will give us. Sign Kirk Cousins. Draft o-line.

Hopefully Haley can turn Ross and Mixon into the next AB and Le'Veon.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
Bill O'Brien is bad for football and should be out of the league.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 08:09 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Bill O'Brien is bad for football and should be out of the league.

What makes you say that?  Seriously, I'm curious.  Other than the headlines of rebuilding Penn St. and taking the Texans to the playoffs twice, I really don't know much about him.

On another note, I didn't know that coaches were allowed to interview during the season?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 08:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What makes you say that?  Seriously, I'm curious.  Other than the headlines of rebuilding Penn St. and taking the Texans to the playoffs twice, I really don't know much about him.

On another note, I didn't know that coaches were allowed to interview during the season?

After taking a unusually bad hit and suffering what appeared to be a seizure, Bill O'Brien let Tom Savage back into the game. 
This is irresponsible and unquestionably bad. It should not be overlooked. In a game where there are THOUSANDS of HD cameras at all times, any excuses of "I didn't know" is just BS.

This is the stuff the league needs to get rid of. 
Player safety my ass. 
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 12:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: McDaniels and Patricia are already interviewing. Let's hope MB doesn't wait until all the good coaches are gone before he decides to start interviewing candidates.....

Unless the patriots are interviewing them this is against the rules.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 09:52 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: After taking a unusually bad hit and suffering what appeared to be a seizure, Bill O'Brien let Tom Savage back into the game. 
This is irresponsible and unquestionably bad. It should not be overlooked. In a game where there are THOUSANDS of HD cameras at all times, any excuses of "I didn't know" is just BS.

This is the stuff the league needs to get rid of. 
Player safety my ass. 

Tom Savage is expendable, he wouldn't have done that with D Watson  Hilarious

In all seriousness doesn't the NFL have one of their officials/doctors on the sideline who controls this?  This should be the person of blame.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 11:03 PM)corpjet Wrote: Tom Savage is expendable, he wouldn't have done that with D Watson  Hilarious

In all seriousness doesn't the NFL have one of their officials/doctors on the sideline who controls this?  This should be the person of blame.

Every team physician is likely held to the same standards of liability, as those serving the general public.  One would think, at least.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 11:03 PM)corpjet Wrote: Tom Savage is expendable, he wouldn't have done that with D Watson  Hilarious

No, it should be the guy who decides who plays. Unless his head was so far up his ass he couldn't tell what happened or wasn't told by doctors what happened...he should have the ability to say "That's ****** up, you're out" 

No one in their right mind can watch that and say he should keep playing football. 
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 01:16 AM)corpjet Wrote: http://www.nbcsports.com/boston/new-england-patriots/if-fired-texans-obrien-would-have-ripple-effect-coaching-searches

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/10/30/16571278/texans-bill-obrien-hot-seat-deshaun-watson-seahawks-loss

The first article you have is from last January. It talks about guys interviewing for the Rams job which certainly is no longer open.

The other article talks about if O'Brien is the right guy for Watson, and they don't have the answer to that yet since Watson went down with an injury. I'd be very surprised with no Watt and no Watson to see O'Brien let go. That being said, if he is let go this team better look into him as a possible replacement.

(12-11-2017, 10:13 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Unless the patriots are interviewing them this is against the rules.

The article was out-dated. The interviewing was happening last January. As you said, no one can be trying to interview them currently.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 11:17 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: No, it should be the guy who decides who plays. Unless his head was so far up his ass he couldn't tell what happened or wasn't told by doctors what happened...he should have the ability to say "That's ***** up, you're out" 

No one in their right mind can watch that and say he should keep playing football. 

Except for the fact that you have an angle sitting on your bum on the couch eating nachos that an NFL head coach doesn't have, not to mention he doesn't get 40 slow motion replays of it over and over and over and over with people saying "Look at his hand shake" "Stop, freeze-frame" There is a play clock and once Savage was off the field, he has to be looking at the next play and trusting the doctors.

He has a QB who is sent off the field by a game official and his next move is the correct one. He allows the trainers to look at the QB while he focuses on the next play and what to do after that.

If the independent doctors missed it (and they did) and the trainers missed it (Which they also did) how in the world can you actually blame the head coach for missing it??

Groups of trained medical professionals dropped the ball here and you want to crucify the guy with no medical training??? Are you high??

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 01:18 AM)corpjet Wrote: Reasons?

He has little coaching experience outside of New England, has never been a HC...

Heck 10 years ago he was working as an engineer in upstate New York?  How would this be a good hire?

Not to mention that Pats D has been spotty at best this year.

(12-11-2017, 01:49 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Contrary to popular belief the Cincinnati Bengals need a defensive minded head coach.  Allowing 33 points by the Bad News Bears?  That’s an embarrassment.

Our offense has been worse than our defense this year, and tbh it's been that way for almost 10 years.

(12-11-2017, 12:47 PM)corpjet Wrote: Thats fine with me don't want either of them...........

Not sure what's up with the love fest for former Pats coaches. McDaniels has been flat awful in 2 different places (Denver and StL), Patty has been mediocre at best even with Genius by his side. O'brien is worth a look, but it's not like he set the league ablaze in Houston, even with some outstanding talent everywhere but QB.

(12-11-2017, 08:08 PM)Lawless_1 Wrote: Give me Todd Haley. Trade Dalton to Washington for whatever they will give us. Sign Kirk Cousins. Draft o-line.

Hopefully Haley can turn Ross and Mixon into the next AB and Le'Veon.

I'm not a Dalton blamer, but I could get behind a Haley/Cousins combo.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 11:22 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Except for the fact that you have an angle sitting on your bum on the couch eating nachos that an NFL head coach doesn't have, not to mention he doesn't get 40 slow motion replays of it over and over and over and over with people saying "Look at his hand shake" "Stop, freeze-frame" There is a play clock and once Savage was off the field, he has to be looking at the next play and trusting the doctors.

He has a QB who is sent off the field by a game official and his next move is the correct one. He allows the trainers to look at the QB while he focuses on the next play and what to do after that.

If the independent doctors missed it (and they did) and the trainers missed it (Which they also did) how in the world can you actually blame the head coach for missing it??

Groups of trained medical professionals dropped the ball here and you want to crucify the guy with no medical training??? Are you high??

Players lie. Players want to play. 
And yes he does. Have you seen those tablets they have? They are filled with pictures and videos from the drive that literally just finished. In the end, he's the head coach. You just watched your QB get obliterated and have a seizure. 

In the modern age, there is literally no excuse for "I didn't see it"
HD video replay can be had instantly. 
If your QB goes down, the coach better be checking on him. 

I'm not saying he missed a diagnosis but common sense should dictate: You had what appeared to be a seizure. You are not well enough to go back in. 
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 01:12 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’ll take Matt Patricia over Bill O’Brien.

Heck yeah. Patricia has a lot of learnings to take with him, when he leaves NE.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 12:37 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not sure what's up with the love fest for former Pats coaches. McDaniels has been flat awful in 2 different places (Denver and StL), Patty has been mediocre at best even with Genius by his side. O'brien is worth a look, but it's not like he set the league ablaze in Houston, even with some outstanding talent everywhere but QB.

He has a history of turning no-names into a pretty decent unit.  He has experience coaching o-line, and has witnessed how the best pass protecting team in the league has conducted business for his entire tenure.  He's by all accounts highly intelligent in a numbers/logic sort of way, but also seems to have enough emotional intelligence to get his players motivated week in/week out. 
Reply/Quote