Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Billings Interview Last Night
Andrew Billings was the second hour guest on Dave Lapham and Lance McAllister's radio show last night. I was walking my dog in the freezing cold while listening and I really liked a lot of what I heard. Here are a few tidbits that I remember:

-He set the state records in Texas for power lifting in High School at 18 years of age. He totaled 2010 lbs, with 500 bench, 805 squat, and 705 dead lift. Wow.

-He chose Baylor over Texas and TCU largely because of how they wanted to use him on defense, and the fact that he knew Mack Brown was not going to be at Texas.

-He started his football career as an offensive lineman, and was offered to play on either side at Baylor, but he chose DT because he "was ready to hit some people". More on this later.

-He relishes his role of "eating double teams". When asked about playing next to a guy like Geno, he said that his job is to eat up double teams because "that's what I do" and free up the rest of the line to get after the QB. Lapham was joking and asked if anyone ever tried to single him up and he said something to the effect of "that only lasted one play, then they would shift back".

-The "silver lining" for him about his injury was that he has a year to fully recover from college and get healthy because he described how you basically go from Bowl game to combine prep to OTAs with no break in between, but that he was loving the first couple weeks of camp when he was there. So, he was just trying to stay positive, but it was very disappointing and he hates watching the games when he wants to help so much. Lapham reminded the audience that even when double teamed, he still "gets a push" and he never goes backwards. Billings just said "yes sir, that's what I do" and even offered that he had a good number of sacks and TFLs in college because he could sometimes split the double teams or if he was able to push two back and there was outside pressure, the QB or RB would try to escape up the middle and he could disengage and make the tackle.

Sure, this is all talk, but he was very well-spoken and seems very hungry to contribute next year. His rehab is going great and he has began to run as a part of his rehab.

The line about his also having experience at offensive line. Could he be a rotational Guard in the goal line? Sounds silly, but good luck stuffing him steelers.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 08:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Andrew Billings was the second hour guest on Dave Lapham and Lance McAllister's radio show last night.  I was walking my dog in the freezing cold while listening and I really liked a lot of what I heard.  Here are a few tidbits that I remember:

-He set the state records in Texas for power lifting in High School at 18 years of age.  He totaled 2010 lbs, with 500 bench, 805 squat, and 705 dead lift.  Wow.

-He chose Baylor over Texas and TCU largely because of how they wanted to use him on defense, and the fact that he knew Mack Brown was not going to be at Texas.

-He started his football career as an offensive lineman, and was offered to play on either side at Baylor, but he chose DT because he "was ready to hit some people".  More on this later.

-He relishes his role of "eating double teams".  When asked about playing next to a guy like Geno, he said that his job is to eat up double teams because "that's what I do" and free up the rest of the line to get after the QB.  Lapham was joking and asked if anyone ever tried to single him up and he said something to the effect of "that only lasted one play, then they would shift back".  

-The "silver lining" for him about his injury was that he has a year to fully recover from college and get healthy because he described how you basically go from Bowl game to combine prep to OTAs with no break in between, but that he was loving the first couple weeks of camp when he was there.  So, he was just trying to stay positive, but it was very disappointing and he hates watching the games when he wants to help so much. Lapham reminded the audience that even when double teamed, he still "gets a push" and he never goes backwards.  Billings just said "yes sir, that's what I do" and even offered that he had a good number of sacks and TFLs in college because he could sometimes split the double teams or if he was able to push two back and there was outside pressure, the QB or RB would try to escape up the middle and he could disengage and make the tackle.

Sure, this is all talk, but he was very well-spoken and seems very hungry to contribute next year.  His rehab is going great and he has began to run as a part of his rehab.  

The line about his also having experience at offensive line.  Could he be a rotational Guard in the goal line?  Sounds silly, but good luck stuffing him steelers.

I've always liked what i have seen of Billings. Love the write-up, lets hope good things for Billings next to Geno next year. Can you imagine drafting foster to roam behind those 2.
Reply/Quote
Don't get overexcited. He's just now starting to run? So in essence he hasn't worked his legs since the injury. He's going to need time to get back anywhere close to where he was. Remember Geno the year after his injury? Hopefully Billings returns to his powerhouse form, but I suspect that is going to take more than the off season....
Reply/Quote
I think we are fine on the inside with Billings and Hardison. Just need to get younger at DE.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 12:51 PM)jj22 Wrote: I think we are fine on the inside with Billings and Hardison. Just need to get younger at DE.

Completely agree.  Maybe one other later draft pick to have another big rotational guy, but the RDE position is the #1 need for this team, IMHO, and there are some really, really good choices out there this year. 
Reply/Quote
Thanks for the update.  He sure looked good on film.  He split a lot of double teams.  His biggest problem is that he ended up on the ground too much.  He has some talent though.  Sucks that he got a knee injury early in camp.  It will take him probably till the later part of 2017 to start showing, but he could really be an asset.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 09:35 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Don't get overexcited. He's just now starting to run? So in essence he hasn't worked his legs since the injury. He's going to need time to get back anywhere close to where he was. Remember Geno the year after his injury? Hopefully Billings returns to his powerhouse form, but I suspect that is going to take more than the off season....
Expect Billings to need most, or all, of 2017 to get into NFL football shape....hopefully sooner than later. ThumbsUp Wishing him the best possible recovery.
Reply/Quote
Billings was my favorite draft pick from last year. Had a 1st round grade on him and was hoping we'd get him in the 1st. Very surprised (as others seemed to be) that he fell as far as he did.

I'm hoping they allow Billings the chance to start next year rather than just give it to Peko if they resign him. Billings could be the NT we have wanted for so long. Sure. Peko has had some nice seasons here and has been underrated some years, but Billings could add a whole new dimension.

I'm just hoping for a line that has Dunlap, Billings, Atkins, and Barnett. Atkins and Dunlap rank in the top 10 in pressures, but we don't get sacks. We're tied for 24th. Think the addition of Billings and HOPEFULLY Barnettand that front 4 has every chance to be the best in the league.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Thanks for the writeup.

I'm very hopeful for both Billings and WJ3 next year.

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2016, 09:23 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Completely agree.  Maybe one other later draft pick to have another big rotational guy, but the RDE position is the #1 need for this team, IMHO, and there are some really, really good choices out there this year. 

It could be argued that RT is just as big of a need. I wouldn't mind getting either honestly.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2016, 10:48 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Billings was my favorite draft pick from last year. Had a 1st round grade on him and was hoping we'd get him in the 1st. Very surprised (as others seemed to be) that he fell as far as he did.

I'm hoping they allow Billings the chance to start next year rather than just give it to Peko if they resign him. Billings could be the NT we have wanted for so long. Sure. Peko has had some nice seasons here and has been underrated some years, but Billings could add a whole new dimension.

I'm just hoping for a line that has Dunlap, Billings, Atkins, and Barnett. Atkins and Dunlap rank in the top 10 in pressures, but we don't get sacks. We're tied for 24th. Think the addition of Billings and HOPEFULLY Barnettand that front 4 has every chance to be the best in the league.

I think Billings just didn't fit in any one box, like Atkins didn't coming out of the draft.  He isn't very tall, and teams want prototypical size in the middle.  Plus, a lot of teams don't consider a "space eater" worthy of an early round selection.  I think he was a perfect fit for our defense.  

I was about to throw my drink through the TV when they took Vigil in the 3rd when Billings was still out there, but was ecstatic when he was there in the fourth.  Nothing against Vigil, but I saw Billings as a better talent coming out of college that could contribute right away.  

I loved what I heard from Lap, how he simply can't be stood up by one person...he just keeps pushing them back.  
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2016, 02:35 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: It could be argued that RT is just as big of a need. I wouldn't mind getting either honestly.

Fisher will be our right tackle moving forward.  They will likely draft another OT to develop, but it won't be a first rounder.  
Reply/Quote