Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Billings?
Just sign Hankins and not rely on another unknown rookie. If he develops then all the better, but he was a 4th round pick so how fair is it for us to expect him to be a difference maker?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2017, 11:22 AM)jj22 Wrote: Just sign Hankins and not rely on another unknown rookie. If he develops then all the better, but he was a 4th round pick so how fair is it for us to expect him to be a difference maker?

Uhhh, Geno Atkins?
Reply/Quote
Apparently they have faith that he will return soon. For all the grief Peko caught he did trot out there every week.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 10:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not even.  It was just a torn meniscus.  Very painful, but once healed, he should be as good as new.

Good to know! If he's healthy,strong, & still has a bit of quickness, times are good.
Reply/Quote
I always take what happens in training camp with a grain of salt.

Tyler Boyd was making HUGE plays all over the field, but had a pretty pedestrian season. Granted, they should have played him outside more, but that's just my opinion.

Remember when people were acting like Armon Binns would be amazing?

I want to see Billings against talent in games, not just practice.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Billings will be ok, he's had enough time to rehab.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2017, 04:09 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I always take what happens in training camp with a grain of salt.

Tyler Boyd was making HUGE plays all over the field, but had a pretty pedestrian season. Granted, they should have played him outside more, but that's just my opinion.

It's not like our O-line provides much to practice against. Pushing Bodine back isn't an uncommon feat.

Reply/Quote
Billings has potential for sure, he was supposed to be a 1st round/2nd round pick last year but teams hesitated because he was "only a 2 down player" cause of his great run stopping abilities but limited pass rushing abilities. The guy is strong and really young (Just turned 21), with tons of room to become great.

He's the future inside, whether you like it or not.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 09:49 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: He was healthy during the season. The team just didn't want to use IR return on him because it was going to be like week 12.

(03-17-2017, 10:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not even.  It was just a torn meniscus.  Very painful, but once healed, he should be as good as new.

Yeah baby, this is getting me a little excited! Cool

Billings is just too strong and if you don't double him he will beat his guy. With him and Geno both healthy
interior O-lines will have it tough all day long. You cannot double them both and if you try that Dunlap will
be free and if we add a guy like Derek Barnett we might be able to make up for our problems of Offense.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2017, 03:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah baby, this is getting me a little excited! Cool

Billings is just too strong and if you don't double him he will beat his guy. With him and Geno both healthy
interior O-lines will have it tough all day long. You cannot double them both and if you try that Dunlap will
be free and if we add a guy like Derek Barnett we might be able to make up for our problems of Offense.

You're painting a Bob Ross right there, the defense would be wreaking havoc again. Drafting Billings was really exciting for some of us as we thought Cincy would look to him even earlier and would find ourselves racking up youtube highlight clicks on the kid. Coming off the injury, I'm not expecting to see the same athleticism and explosion for his size that we were drooling over, but I expect him to attract a 2nd blocker often. They'll keep it simple for him, and if he can come close to Peko's snap count its a win.

I agree with others in that though we hope the best for the beast that is Billings, insurance would be nice.  Pat Sims will likely stay as the backup due to experience as he was activated situationally to tally 37 tackles and 1.5 sacks.  Yes there is some literal bulk to the DT class in the mid-late rounds, but there aren't enough NT types considering how many teams play a 3-4.  So though I'd love to take a guy like USC's massive NT Stevie Tu'ikolovatu with the comp 5th, he should be gone.  Think a 7th round or undrafted guy like Colorado's Josh Tupou joining a Williams, a possibly resigned Brandon Thompson (seriously) as a scrum for the backup NT if Sims shows up closer to tree fiddy.  Part of letting Peko go may not be just how awesome they think Billings will be, but how little of a degression from Peko to Sims, and also don't forget Hardison.  He's more of a UT type, but in terms of activation they may roll with him and a DE/DT tweener with the rest of the snaps rather than activate a NT against some teams.  I'd take a stud NT type and bump Sims, I just don't see it happening. 
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 09:31 PM)Derrick Wrote: I have no news on Billings. But, I like the idea of Peko moving on. Now, if Rey Maualuga would do the same...

Throw in Adam Jones and Michael Johnson as well. Time for the young guys to get their shot.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2017, 04:09 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I always take what happens in training camp with a grain of salt.

Boyd had basically the same year as Will Fuller, I'd say that was a pretty good season. TD's were not where you want them, but he had a productive year that would make you think he is going to be a pretty good WR in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 04:01 AM)phil413 Wrote: You're painting a Bob Ross right there, the defense would be wreaking havoc again.  Drafting Billings was really exciting for some of us as we thought Cincy would look to him even earlier and would find ourselves racking up youtube highlight clicks on the kid.  Coming off the injury, I'm not expecting to see the same athleticism and explosion for his size that we were drooling over, but I expect him to attract a 2nd blocker often.  They'll keep it simple for him, and if he can come close to Peko's snap count its a win.  

I agree with others in that though we hope the best for the beast that is Billings, insurance would be nice.  Pat Sims will likely stay as the backup due to experience as he was activated situationally to tally 37 tackles and 1.5 sacks.  Yes there is some literal bulk to the DT class in the mid-late rounds, but there aren't enough NT types considering how many teams play a 3-4.  So though I'd love to take a guy like USC's massive NT Stevie Tu'ikolovatu with the comp 5th, he should be gone.  Think a 7th round or undrafted guy like Colorado's Josh Tupou joining a Williams, a possibly resigned Brandon Thompson (seriously) as a scrum for the backup NT if Sims shows up closer to tree fiddy.  Part of letting Peko go may not be just how awesome they think Billings will be, but how little of a degression from Peko to Sims, and also don't forget Hardison.  He's more of a UT type, but in terms of activation they may roll with him and a DE/DT tweener with the rest of the snaps rather than activate a NT against some teams.  I'd take a stud NT type and bump Sims, I just don't see it happening. 

Thank you Phil and i completely agree with all your thoughts as well.

I would like for us to add another DT for depth and competition even if Billings is 100%. Also, DeShawn Williams
has looked good anytime he has gotten a shot. Like i have said before, Peko had a good year in 2015 but i think
that had a lot to do with our D-line as a whole and Geno and Dunlap grabbing teams attention.

It wouldn't take much to get a DT that is an upgrade to Peko after last year. I have always liked Sims but it is
time for some fresh blood IMHO.

Getting the one guy i thought could be a clear upgrade over Peko made my year, then he got hurt and unmade it.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 10:25 AM)Au165 Wrote: Boyd had basically the same year as Will Fuller, I'd say that was a pretty good season. TD's were not where you want them, but he had a productive year that would make you think he is going to be a pretty good WR in the NFL.

Yeah Boyd did. I am pretty sure he led all rookie WR's in 3rd down conversion catches.

Could be wrong once the season was over but late in the season i heard this stat on Boyd.

Have high hopes for him and Core.

Just hope our OL doesn't destroy these hopes, doesn't matter how good they are if there is no time.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, he's been good to go for a while now.
(from Jan: http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/01/23/cincinnati-bengals-2016-lost-draft-picks-william-jackson-iii-andrew-billings-returning-from-injury/96920676/)

Yes, he was getting handled a bit in the OTAs. The coaches did like what they saw in the scrimmages with the Vikings though, before the injury. There's something to be said about that (getting used to NFL power and speed, being able to hit in pads, etc.) "Just a meniscus" is right and wrong. You can totally take out a meniscus and be back in a few weeks (but that will lead to arthritis later and bone-on-bone pain). They chose to repair it, which is why he was out for the year. This gives him the best chance at a healthy knee. It's just waaaayyyyy more slow healing than a ligament reconstruction/replacement. But it could easily tear again.

He's a true rookie, having been hurt that early. Yes, they have confidence in him considering they had a higher draft grade on him than where they ended up getting him, but he will still have to win a spot in the rotation/starting gig.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 09:03 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Yeah, he's been good to go for a while now.
(from Jan: http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/01/23/cincinnati-bengals-2016-lost-draft-picks-william-jackson-iii-andrew-billings-returning-from-injury/96920676/)

Yes, he was getting handled a bit in the OTAs. The coaches did like what they saw in the scrimmages with the Vikings though, before the injury. There's something to be said about that (getting used to NFL power and speed, being able to hit in pads, etc.) "Just a meniscus" is right and wrong. You can totally take out a meniscus and be back in a few weeks (but that will lead to arthritis later and bone-on-bone pain). They chose to repair it, which is why he was out for the year. This gives him the best chance at a healthy knee. It's just waaaayyyyy more slow healing than a ligament reconstruction/replacement. But it could easily tear again.

He's a true rookie, having been hurt that early. Yes, they have confidence in him considering they had a higher draft grade on him than where they ended up getting him, but he will still have to win a spot in the rotation/starting gig.

I recall 1-2 mocks that had us taking billings in the first last year.  Several had him as a round 2 pick.  I am looking forward to seeing what he can do after a full camp.  

Meniscus?  It's just a flesh wound.
Reply/Quote
In a weak DT class like this year I wonder how high Billings would go?
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 09:03 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Yeah, he's been good to go for a while now.

Well at least we know that position is truly up for competition now that Peko is gone. May the best man win. Can he play C.
Reply/Quote

Sounds good man, that is all i want is for the best man to win out the starting job.

Billings will BTW. Dude will be special.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2017, 12:18 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: In a weak DT class like this year I wonder how high Billings would go?

1st round easily. Lot were talking about him as a 1st rounder in that extremely deep DT class, not just us.

He was a gamechanger at Baylor. Mixture of Geno and Wilfork.

The reasons why i heard he fell was he was short and young. Neither are weaknesses necessarily either.

He is taller than Geno, being shorter makes it easier to get lower than your man and being so young i find to be a big time positive.
Reply/Quote