Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bills/Bengals will NOT be resumed this week.
(01-03-2023, 04:57 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The decision on what is going to happen needs to be made BEFORE the games this weekend. 

The Bengals and Ravens need to know if they are even playing for anything. Same with the Bills, Chiefs, etc. 

This game needs to be resumed and finished. It's the only way. How the NFL does it is another question. Make the logistics as simple as possible - neutral site, no fans, etc. Just make it happen.

I believe you are correct. You might as well rest players if you are not playing for anything. The league should make clear their solution before the weekend, so that teams aren't playing while completely indecisive whether the game means anything in terms of playoff positioning. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 05:00 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: 100%

If they vacate, Bengals are locked in 3 seed
If they play it Bengals still could go 1,2,3 or 5.
It’d be 100% unfair to wait until after the games to decide, and if they are locked in, I guarantee they sit some folks.

Don’t think this is true. Assuming the game is cancelled, the Bengals are still in play for the 2 seed. A win over Baltimore and a Buffalo loss to New England would leave both teams 12-4 overall and 8-3 in conference. Next tiebreaker is common opponents, which thanks to some schedule quirks would also leave both teams tied at 8-3. Next tiebreaker is strength of victory. The 8 AFC wins would essentially be set aside, since amazingly enough both teams beat the same 8 AFC opponents, and their NFC opponents would determine it. As lousy as the NFC South teams the Bengals beat are, the Bills have dregs like the Rams and Bears on their win list, which drags down their strength of victory to below Cincinnati's.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 04:50 PM)pally Wrote: Waiting to see how this weekend plays out is the right decision.  Not ever playing the game may have its own repercussions that need to be dealt with but it is not a decision that has to be made today

First class on that avatar.. Going to try and steal.  We should all wear it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 05:00 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: 100%

If they vacate, Bengals are locked in 3 seed
If they play it Bengals still could go 1,2,3 or 5.
It’d be 100% unfair to wait until after the games to decide, and if they are locked in, I guarantee they sit some folks.

I want the Bengals to avoid the Steelers in the playoffs. That team scares me. Pittsburgh has a great chance to get in. I’d rather the Bengals play the Chargers.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 05:19 PM)packerbacker Wrote: I want the Bengals to avoid the Steelers in the playoffs. That team scares me. Pittsburgh has a great chance to get in. I’d rather the Bengals play the Chargers.

I take my chances against Kenny Pickett over Justin Herbert, fam.  
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 05:20 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I take my chances against Kenny Pickett over Justin Herbert, fam.  

same, but when it comes to pittsburgh, it's not about the qb
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 05:20 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I take my chances against Kenny Pickett over Justin Herbert, fam.  

Yeah but their defense is extremely tough. They also know the Bengals very well.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 05:21 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: same, but when it comes to pittsburgh, it's not about the qb

I’m obviously hoping the Bengals win it all this year. If they don’t I’ll probably stop watching the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 05:06 PM)PlayadLc Wrote: Don’t think this is true. Assuming the game is cancelled, the Bengals are still in play for the 2 seed. A win over Baltimore and a Buffalo loss to New England would leave both teams 12-4 overall and 8-3 in conference. Next tiebreaker is common opponents, which thanks to some schedule quirks would also leave both teams tied at 8-3. Next tiebreaker is strength of victory. The 8 AFC wins would essentially be set aside, since amazingly enough both teams beat the same 8 AFC opponents, and their NFC opponents would determine it. As lousy as the NFC South teams the Bengals beat are, the Bills have dregs like the Rams and Bears on their win list, which drags down their strength of victory to below Cincinnati's.

wow.   great analysis!!
Reply/Quote
There is no easy solution to this situation. However, I believe the NFL taking a wait and see posture is a mistake.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 05:06 PM)PlayadLc Wrote: Don’t think this is true. Assuming the game is cancelled, the Bengals are still in play for the 2 seed. A win over Baltimore and a Buffalo loss to New England would leave both teams 12-4 overall and 8-3 in conference. Next tiebreaker is common opponents, which thanks to some schedule quirks would also leave both teams tied at 8-3. Next tiebreaker is strength of victory. The 8 AFC wins would essentially be set aside, since amazingly enough both teams beat the same 8 AFC opponents, and their NFC opponents would determine it. As lousy as the NFC South teams the Bengals beat are, the Bills have dregs like the Rams and Bears on their win list, which drags down their strength of victory to below Cincinnati's.

Okay well that’s true, it still eliminated cincy controlling their own destiny.
Reply/Quote

Nice post PlayadLc. Spot on about everything, the 2 seed is still in play.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 05:20 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I take my chances against Kenny Pickett over Justin Herbert, fam.  

Yeah, but that's not the choice. The choice is do you want to play Justin Herbert, or Kenny Pickett and the Zebras?
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 04:50 PM)pally Wrote: Waiting to see how this weekend plays out is the right decision.  Not ever playing the game may have its own repercussions that need to be dealt with but it is not a decision that has to be made today

it is the right decision for the NFL management, because if everything breaks right, then they've avoided making a hard decision. But it doesn't seem to be right for the teams and players. If the game is never going to be played, then the Bengals and Ravens probably should rest their players this weekend to get ready for the playoffs. The Ravens would not be able to win the division, for example, and the Bengals likelihood of moving out of 3rd place seems small. The league should put on its big boy pants and make a decision before the weekend, so that players know whether or not the game their playing in, and risking injury in, amounts to a hill of beans.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 06:50 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, but that's not the choice. The choice is do you want to play Justin Herbert, or Kenny Pickett and the Zebras?

That is always the choice with those cheatin' bastids. Whatever

(01-03-2023, 06:51 PM)Nepa Wrote: it is the right decision for the NFL management, because if everything breaks right, then they've avoided making a hard decision. But it doesn't seem to be right for the teams and players. If the game is never going to be played, then the Bengals and Ravens probably should rest their players this weekend to get ready for the playoffs. The Ravens would not be able to win the division, for example, and the Bengals likelihood of moving out of 3rd place seems small. The league should put on its big boy pants and make a decision before the weekend, so that players know whether or not the game their playing in, and risking injury in, amounts to a hill of beans.

Agreed.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 04:41 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: No it would not determine division, bengals have a 2 game lead... they will have a better record than Ravens.

Bengals i believe can still get the 2 seed if Bills lose and Bengals win.  they will be tied with record and conference record, not sure what 3rd tiebreaker is

KC wins Sat... mute point

The good thing about this no contest is it does not impact who makes the playoffs just where the seeds fall... 

It would determine the division for the Ravens. If the Bengals would lose to the Bills and Ravens, Ravens are AFCN champs. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Uncertainty is never a good thing. If I'm the Ravens, do I rest players to prepare for the playoffs the next week, or do I believe there is still a shot for the division and 3 seed and go all out? If KC loses, does Buffalo rest players in their game or do they think they might still have to play the Bengals and thus could lose their number 1 seed? Do the Bengals go all out to win or rest their players? Do playoff teams that might rest their players figure the playoffs might be moved back a week then decide to not rest their players, since they will have two weeks between games?

Not making a decision is a cop-out. It's a violent sport and adding uncertainty to whether or not a team should rest its stars, not knowing if the game is meaningful or not, is not showing leadership. It's leaders avoiding their responsibility.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 04:32 PM)Housh Wrote: If Chiefs lose and make this a discussion i think you’ve gotta award the seed to us do you? We were winning, we are the hotter team and best the Chiefs

A great option could be postponing the game until “week 19” and starting the wildcard a week late. Give us and the bills our own week where we are the only game playing.

It’s actually genius. This would make the league money for an extra week

Unless you move the Super Bowl a week back which you can't. The league as well as Arizona would lose multi-millions of dollars.
There is a reason why they have a two week break between AFC/NFC Championships and the Super Bowl and that is $$$$.  
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 08:25 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: Unless you move the Super Bowl a week back which you can't. The league as well as Arizona would lose multi-millions of dollars.
There is a reason why they have a two week break between AFC/NFC Championships and the Super Bowl and that is $$$$.  

There have been 7 Super Bowls played with only one week between the conference championships and the Super Bowl. Those were because of special circumstances. This seems to fit that category. Not playing the game would put an asterisk more on the season than shorting the break to one week.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 08:33 PM)Nepa Wrote: There have been 7 Super Bowls played with only one week between the conference championships and the Super Bowl. Those were because of special circumstances. This seems to fit that category. Not playing the game would put an asterisk more on the season than shorting the break to one week.

I think 2 week break before Super Bowl is silly, anyway.  It breaks up the rhythm of routine and let's players get rusty.
Reply/Quote