Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bills Rush Defense #30 overall
I think this offense could produce this week for sure. The remaining AFC defenses are weak.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Bengals need to establish a solid rushing game versus the Bills, keeping their offense off of the field will be paramount to victory.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2023, 02:27 PM)M.W. Wrote: I don't like 2nd and 9 either but it is slightly better than 2nd and 10 or 2nd and 13.

Let's not forget:

2md and 18 (sack)

1st and 10 for opposition (tipped ball INT)

1st and 20  (Holding one of the three new linemen)

I am not trying to poo poo our pass game at all.  It is their strength, no doubt, but what I am trying to show is that most teams that dedicated to the run had success against this opponent.  At least try to stay balanced and I agree with others that we need to see Perine and Mixon rotate DRIVES not plays.  Otherwise, it tips their hand too much.  
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2023, 04:41 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Let's not forget:

2md and 18 (sack)

I am not trying to poo poo our pass game at all.  It is their strength, no doubt, but what I am trying to show is that most teams that dedicated to the run had success against this opponent.  At least try to stay balanced and I agree with others that we need to see Perine and Mixon rotate DRIVES not plays.  Otherwise, it tips their hand too much.  

Absolutely, the Bengals need to force them to respect the run, and it will open up big play opportunities in the passing game.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2023, 04:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Bengals need to establish a solid rushing game versus the Bills, keeping their offense off of the field will be paramount to victory.

Yes sir

We have to sustain drives, convert the 3rd and two's, have effective runs in the red zone. I'm not saying we need to go all smashmouth and 3 yards in a cloud of dust.

But IMHO if we can reel of some productive runs our chance of victory goes up, a lot.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2023, 04:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Bengals need to establish a solid rushing game versus the Bills, keeping their offense off of the field will be paramount to victory.

You don;t need to establish the run to take off time on the clock, we have some decent timed drives still 60 to 70% of the time. What is more important is scoring TDS vs FGS... our  four playoff wins we have had too many 13 FGs vs 8 TDS.  Last week we did score 3 TDS vs 1 FG, we need to stay with that script...
Reply/Quote

2md and 18 (sack)

Absolutely, you should never be halfway into the 3rd quarter with a 10 point lead and throw 3 straight incomplete passes taking only 30 seconds off the clock. We need to learn how to drain the clock and give our RBs a little chance.  
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2023, 12:46 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Buffalo's defensive tackles are a bit undersized and their rotational players inside are fighting back from injuries.  Success early in the run game could really wear them down by the end of the game.  Ballsnomore understood this and stayed dedicated to the run game, even when behind.  

As much as i hate the overabundance of derogatory team names...i like that one. Big Grin

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
If they go heavy on the left side, Carman is a physical run blocker so i can see them having some success there. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

2md and 18 (sack)

Agree. We need balance especially down 3 lineman. If they try to throw it 60 times...it won't go well.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2023, 09:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Agree. We need balance especially down 3 lineman. If they try to throw it 60 times...it won't go well.
Having one of the worst starting LTs in the league hasn't stopped them from being pass heavy. I doubt that they'll change much unless Buffalo has a problem stopping the run.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2023, 04:24 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I think this offense could produce this week for sure. The remaining AFC defenses are weak.

Don't understand this one. Buffalo is #2 scoring defense in league, after the 49ers. They were #1 scoring defense last year.  Or are you just referring to "run defense" when you say "the remaining AFC defenses are weak."
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2023, 09:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Agree. We need balance especially down 3 lineman. If they try to throw it 60 times...it won't go well.

?? When have we thrown it close to 60 times this year with our starting 5?  Look at the stats, we have tossed it only 4 games over 40 times, and 3-1 in those games... In our offense we averaged 25 times and thrown 38 in regular season, unless we really fall behind in the game, I don't expect much difference  
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2023, 11:02 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: ?? When have we thrown it close to 60 times this year with our starting 5?  Look at the stats, we have tossed it only 4 games over 40 times, and 3-1 in those games... In our offense we averaged 25 times and thrown 38 in regular season, unless we really fall behind in the game, I don't expect much difference  

Even a ratio of 25/38 might be too much against the Bills. We'll see. The Dolphins gave them trouble and we're certainly better than Miami.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2023, 04:24 AM)Nepa Wrote: Don't understand this one. Buffalo is #2 scoring defense in league, after the 49ers. They were #1 scoring defense last year.  Or are you just referring to "run defense" when you say "the remaining AFC defenses are weak."

How different is this bills defense than the one that collapsed vs the chiefs in the playoffs last year?
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2023, 06:20 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: As much as i hate the overabundance of derogatory team names...i like that one. Big Grin

I used to save my venom for the steelers almost exclusively.  I know it ruffled feathers (er, Tiger Hair?) around here when I used to say I rooted for the Browns when they weren't playing Cincy.  Well, add one sexual predator with $230 million guaranteed and I stop pulling for you.  The Ratbirds began to draw my ire after their assbagging the final week of the season.  Blatant attempts to injure to give them a chance to win the first round of the playoffs.  Plus, they got to rest starters and the Bengals didn't.  I know that was a league decision and not the Ratbirds, but after watching Harbaugh's whiny ways that playoff game, I began to feel some of the hatred. 

I admit it openly:  I don't even like the word hate, but I hate the steelers.  Even after the pig was sent to the slaughter house, I still hate them.  I am childish with my attacks on them and their fans.  I don't care.  I will save being a good sport for teams like Buffalo.  I just can't stand that false bravado, bully act.  Every bully I ever stood up to revealed their true colors once they were punched in the nose.  Same goes for that team to the east.  F them.  I hope they lose for 20 years and those obnoxious yellow seats glare from being empty every week.  
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2023, 04:24 AM)Nepa Wrote: Don't understand this one. Buffalo is #2 scoring defense in league, after the 49ers. They were #1 scoring defense last year.  Or are you just referring to "run defense" when you say "the remaining AFC defenses are weak."

Right. Buffalo doesn't even have a weak run defense. Only PFF grades are saying that. The Bills were 14th in yards per carry allowed (Cincinnati was 10th). They are a perfectly capable run defense. 
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2023, 01:35 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Right. Buffalo doesn't even have a weak run defense. Only PFF grades are saying that. The Bills were 14th in yards per carry allowed (Cincinnati was 10th). They are a perfectly capable run defense. 

Those numbers are based on year long statistics.  PFF looks at the actual SUCCESS rate in rushing against the Bills, and teams that have done it well have beat them.  When the Bills beat KC earlier this year, KC threw the ball more than double their rush attempts.  When Miami and the Jets beat the Bills, they rushed it more than passed it.  It wasn't for something like 8 YPC, but it was enough to keep them balanced and prevent third and longs. 

They may be a capable defense, but they sure aren't Baltiwhore.  Teams have had to abandon the run against them because Buffalo has been one of the highest scoring offenses in the league.  That also makes their statistics appear better than they are.  

Again, I am not saying the Bengals should abandon the passing game....far from it.  They just need to have balance.  That's my two cents.  And for some reason,  I have a feeling this is a big game for Mixon.  
Reply/Quote
We only ran a couple times against them Monday night, but there were some pretty big holes when they did. Anytime we can run well, it’s a nightmare for teams. If they can’t just pin their ears back, it’s over.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2023, 01:50 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Those numbers are based on year long statistics.  PFF looks at the actual SUCCESS rate in rushing against the Bills, and teams that have done it well have beat them.  When the Bills beat KC earlier this year, KC threw the ball more than double their rush attempts.  When Miami and the Jets beat the Bills, they rushed it more than passed it.  It wasn't for something like 8 YPC, but it was enough to keep them balanced and prevent third and longs. 

They may be a capable defense, but they sure aren't Baltiwhore.  Teams have had to abandon the run against them because Buffalo has been one of the highest scoring offenses in the league.  That also makes their statistics appear better than they are.  

Again, I am not saying the Bengals should abandon the passing game....far from it.  They just need to have balance.  That's my two cents.  And for some reason,  I have a feeling this is a big game for Mixon.  

I'm not 100% sure what you're referencing when you say "success rate" but there is an actual metric called success rate. The Bills are 16th. In EPA per rush, the Bills are #4. They are not a bad rush defense by any metric other than PFF grades.

I don't want to be rude, but I place no value in any PFF grade. Their data aggregation is truly top notch, but their grades are a joke. Their analysts don't do it for a living and are minimally trained. They are part time, not paid well, and their work isn't much better than the collective opinions of casual fans. Most of their analysts are just that - casual fans. 
Reply/Quote