Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Billy B has 'tremendous respect for the way Mike runs his organization'
(01-10-2020, 04:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Maybe Bill just relates to Mike Brown due to their struggles with resting stone face.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3...%3DApi&f=1]

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gannett-cdn.com%2Fp...f=1&nofb=1]

Just a pair of party animals, these guys.

These two accidentally got locked in a bathroom at a party once. 

Mike had his love-kit in a backpack. 

They amusingly hit it off. 

Been going strong ever since... 

cue any Bon Jovi ballad.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2020, 03:17 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Grumpy face, always looks like he's ready to bite nails in two.

He's a totally different guy away from the media and coaching.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Lol...sure he does. Belichick the master of using a lot of words to say absolutely nothing.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2020, 02:35 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Nah,
Brady may be done in NE, so he's buttering up Mike to make a trade for AD.

And AJ, with his injury prone buddy ROSS.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2020, 06:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Read this awhile back, never know what ole Billy is up to...

He would like to get some revenge against the Browns before he retires perhaps?  Cool

They did fire him unceremoniously after all. Hehe
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2020, 10:24 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: And AJ, with his injury prone buddy ROSS.

What would Cincinnati get from New England for Andy Dalton, AJ Green, and John Ross? It would have to be more than comp picks.....
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2020, 06:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: LOL. As “bad” as Brady was this year he was still far better than Dalton and they couldn’t even make it out of the WC round.

They didn't make it out of the WC round thanks to Brady's 59.4 passer rating and pick six. Very Dalton-like. Brady is washed physically, and I'd be very interested to see how Dalton could perform on that team. I have a feeling people on here won't want to see that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2020, 09:30 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: These two accidentally got locked in a bathroom at a party once. 

cue any Bon Jovi ballad.

Sounds like a sitcom.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2020, 10:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: They didn't make it out of the WC round thanks to Brady's 59.4 passer rating and pick six. Very Dalton-like. Brady is washed physically, and I'd be very interested to see how Dalton could perform on that team. I have a feeling people on here won't want to see that.

If it gets us picks back idc what Dalton does on another team. But tbh I also have feeling certain people wouldn’t want to see that...

Remember how it was going to all be different when we got an offensive minded coach?

Reply/Quote
My big fear is Bill Belichick is buttering Mike Brown up and trying to get on his good side so he’ll trade the number one pick in the draft to New England.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2020, 09:30 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: These two accidentally got locked in a bathroom at a party once. 

cue any Bon Jovi ballad.

[Image: 1221963979_4.jpg]

Mellow
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2020, 02:46 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: When I read this it sounds like B has respect that Mike et al gives clear answers and bottom lines.  I could see that.  I can also understand Mike putting football first even though to many fans, he ostensibly puts money first.  

I do not understand how B likes how Mike runs the organization in terms of failing for nearly 30 years and not hiring a true GM or expanding the draft war room.

If B were coaching here he would freak with the lame drafting room scouts...

But overall, B would be infuriated if he had this Boob GM want-a-be and nearly 30 years of not winning a playoff game.  In Fact, B would be insane like many fans appear to be heading these days.  

May Burrow save the city of Cincinnati from insanity.

The way this team is run BB does not have to compete with us. Article in the Athletic today noted that Bill Walsh said he only had to compete with about 8 teams for championships.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
He respects it so much, I'll bet that he wishes that 31 teams ran their organization in the same way!
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2020, 02:14 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: [Image: 1221963979_4.jpg]

Mellow

Yes.  Mike is Special B.

Random Rom-Com scenarios are my jam. LOL
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2020, 02:46 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: When I read this it sounds like B has respect that Mike et al gives clear answers and bottom lines.  I could see that.  I can also understand Mike putting football first even though to many fans, he ostensibly puts money first.  

I do not understand how B likes how Mike runs the organization in terms of failing for nearly 30 years and not hiring a true GM or expanding the draft war room.

If B were coaching here he would freak with the lame drafting room scouts...

But overall, B would be infuriated if he had this Boob GM want-a-be and nearly 30 years of not winning a playoff game.  In Fact, B would be insane like many fans appear to be heading these days.  

May Burrow save the city of Cincinnati from insanity.

I only made it to your response and I figured everything after yours would follow suit so I just went ahead and replied to yours.  I do not mean for any of what follows to sound like a personal attack, but just a counterpoint to the general "Mike Brown sucks" and how the team will never win a Super Bowl rhetoric:

Friends, the Brown family is frugal, yes.  But they have not, in recent memory, offered a very competitive contract to any player that was a solid piece of their franchise unless that player was nearing the end of their career and they had already drafted a replacement. (Whit).  The money they have offered those players has been fair, and unlike many teams, they honor that contract the vast majority of the time...FAR more than the average NFL team.  If I am a player, I would have great appreciation for the team that actually paid me the escalated contract value (something they actually tend to avoid in design) at the end of the contract, instead of releasing the player to avoid paying the dollars that made the contract seem large in the first place.  

Does anyone think Gio is worth what they are paying him?  You could say it is how he is being utilized, but any other team would have moved on by now.  So, if you are going to cry cheap, you have to give credit here.

Where the Bengals got a lot of insults over their frugality stemmed from things like only having tiny locker room towels.  Esiason made a famous gesture of buying towels for the team that were actually big enough to cover a big man.  And in typical Boomer fashion, he made that information public.  This frugality stemmed from a different era.  Paul Brown coached in an era where players didn't wear earrings, they made what a good business man could make, and they never questioned anything because they were simply glad to be in the league.  The Bengals carried that "don't baby these guys, make them tough" mentality in to an era where owners like Mark Cuban had special lounges for players to hang out, sleep, play video games, etc before games.  I can't say that I agree with how the Bengals were handling things, but I understand it.  That has changed over the years.  They now have nutritionists, better food service, recovery drinks (fresh smoothies with protein and creatine, etc).  

The Bengals also don't have a mega-stadium.  They have a below-average venue.  I think some fans hate the Brown family for what they see in Dallas, Minnesota, and the pending stadium in Las Vegas.  However, look at the area between the stadiums.  Anyone around to see what it was like when they played at Riverfront?  Think the downtown has done a bit better of late?  

And it isn't just the Bengals stadium being funded largely by taxpayers...the Reds were a part of the deal as well.  I guess since they actually won a championship in 1990 they get a pass.

I will likely get hammered for this entire post anyways, so why hold back on this opinion?  They Bengals should have won the Super Bowl in 2005, and perhaps even more likely, 2015.  That is twice in as many decades.  I am not saying they should get a pass for the playoff failures, but who doesn't think they had a really good chance if Palmer was there in 2005 and Dalton in 2015.  Love Peyton Manning, but that year the Bengals damn near beat Denver in Denver, in primetime, with McCarron as their QB.  

The Bengals were doing well since the 90s (where the only fun was a few years of a high-flying Blake to Pickens show) relative to the draft and having a competitive team on the field.  In the past five years, however, their draft picks were some pretty big failures:  Ogbuehi and Fisher set this team back, and Billy Price looks like a massive whiff.  It happens, but you can't deny that they were drafting pretty well in the Marvin Lewis era and had a really nice run of coaches as well.  I think last year's draft was a dud, but with the pending Burrow draft and what I see as a critical time to pay for their mistakes with a couple key free agent selections, the team could rebound quickly.  

I personally think a lot of the hate-fire stems from all these years without a playoff win.

I was mad, for the record, that Marv was retained over someone like Zimmer after the SD playoff loss, but I digress.

I believe the Reds stadium is more fun and has a better food/drink choice than PBS by far, but you can't blame the Bengals for spending the bulk of their money at PBS in the so-called Club Lounge.  They were trying to cater to businesses and not your average Joe Fan, and make more money from corporations than individuals.  It is largely a disappointment, though, since you can't see the field from the club lounge.  It is a nice venue, though... I traded seats once so my dad wouldn't be so cold at a game.  

You can say their failures in the draft of late have been to a minimalist scouting department, but they were actually drafting better when the scouting department was even smaller.  Their recent failures are well-documented, but I don't think it has to do with money.  Billy Price was a consensus first round pick, as was Ogbuehi.  There have been massive failures by other teams picking even earlier in the draft.  The difference seems to be other teams (afforded now by the rookie wage scale) will cut bait while the Bengals honor the contract and try to hold out hope the player can be developed.  Criticize that decision all you want, but it doesn't mean they are cheap.  They are likely listening to their coaches and hearing "we can win with this guy, but we need help here...".

Regardless, this post is not typed by a direct descendant of the Brown family.  I am a simple fan that sees the team for what it is and there has been a lot of bad fortune.  I don't put it all at the feet of the owners.  Some key injuries at bad times, and some poor draft choices have created the current spiral.  I think they will work very hard to rebound and I think it will first be seen with a couple key free agents prior to the draft.  
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2020, 10:24 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Regardless, this post is not typed by a direct descendant of the Brown family.  I am a simple fan that sees the team for what it is and there has been a lot of bad fortune.  I don't put it all at the feet of the owners.  Some key injuries at bad times, and some poor draft choices have created the current spiral.  I think they will work very hard to rebound and I think it will first be seen with a couple key free agents prior to the draft.  

I sure hope you're right because if they put another clunker on the field next season (with their normal doing very little) it's going to be very, very, bad for the future of NFL football in Cincinnati.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2020, 10:38 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I sure hope you're right because if they put another clunker on the field next season (with their normal doing very little) it's going to be very, very, bad for the future of NFL football in Cincinnati.

Yep.

You run a bad business...  eventually even in the NFL it comes back to bite you.

We're going into a five season stretch of losing if they don't rebound.

Racer can talk about 05' and 15' all he wants, but that's rear view mirror at this point.

The team is spiraling the drain right now and it NEEDS a solid free agency like never before.  It NEEDS a stellar draft.

Going 0-11 after clamoring "New Dey" is not going to make you fans/sponsors very happy.

So yeah.  The Family + Tobin are going to get shit on. 

Please don't act like posters and fans are ingrates for donning the torches and pitchforks.

You act as if the National Media hasn't taken notice and it's just the fans who are butt-hurt.

It's APATHY that the Bengals should fear.  Not anger, disgust, frustration. 

Those emotions show that someone actually cares about the team and what they are doing with it.

I get it.  You're sick of the negativity.

It is deserved though.  You want a team to change for winnings sake and not because of forced change.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2020, 10:29 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: What would Cincinnati get from New England for Andy Dalton, AJ Green, and John Ross?  It would have to be more than comp picks.....

Could be BB wants to come to Cinci. The pats have always had the "hots" for us. Must be one of those opposites attract thing.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2020, 02:30 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Paul Dehner Jr.
@pauldehnerjr

Tweeted yesterday about the relatively frequent Bengals and Patriots trading relationship over the years. Here was Bill Belichick on that trend during a December conference call:

[Image: UY0EhPp.jpg?1]

Maybe he's angling for a job when his Patriot days are over. LOL

nah, disagree with anyone that thinks this. lets see, kraft 6-7 SB's and elmer fudd 0 sbs'. whats the definition of insane again?

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2020, 10:29 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: What would Cincinnati get from New England for Andy Dalton, AJ Green, and John Ross?  It would have to be more than comp picks.....

We may have to give them A.J. just for them to take Ross 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote