Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greene, Senzel, Trammell Reds pipeline looking good
Hunter Greene hit 103.1 MPH in the futures game and every fast ball he threw was over 100. I've heard scouts say it's not a straining 100 either !

Travis Trammell was the MVP with a triple and HR. Throw in the injured Senzel and the Reds actually have some big league prospects for a change.

This has been a giant weakness the past several years, they just had no prospects ! Perhaps things are finally looking up ?

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-all-star-game-reds-taylor-trammell-hunter-greene-shine-in-2018-futures-game-plus-other-takeaways/
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Good prospects are a plus. However, how many have we seen flop in the majors? My point is they must step up a level to compete in the majors which is never a sure thing.
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
We've had a lot of really talented prospects making the roster lately as well, with the likes of Jesse Winker, Luis Castillo, Tyler Mahle, Sal Romano, Jose Peraza, Scott Schebler and Amir Garrett being the most obvious graduates in the last 2 and a half years.

We've definitely "hit" on more prospects than "missed" lately. Even the prospects that have missed, like Stephenson, Reed and Finnegan can still potentially add value to the club at some point down the road. They have had success at AAA, so they aren't far away (although at this point anything we get out of them is pure bonus). 

We also have a few other players, like Blandino and Ervin who can't necessarily be called busts but just haven't found a spot in the regular roster yet.

The good news is that, as far as "hyped prospects" go, the only one that has really fallen flat on his face is Stephenson. The others are all in the first list above. So I'd expect the same out of Senzel, Trammel and, eventually, Hunter Greene.

We'll have to wait until next year, but I am expecting good things from Senzel's rookie year in the majors (which really should have begun this season, but stupid Super Twos rules incentivized the Reds to tank the beginning of the year.)
Reply/Quote
Trammell looks like a flat out baller. Wanna guess last person to win the futures MVP? Grady Sizemore
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2018, 11:40 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Good prospects are a plus. However, how many have we seen flop in the majors? My point is they must step up a level to compete in the majors which is never a sure thing.

The only sure things in life are death and taxes. 
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2018, 08:52 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Trammell looks like a flat out baller. Wanna guess last person to win the futures MVP? Grady Sizemore

What do you mean? Do they not name an MVP each year?
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2018, 09:16 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: What do you mean? Do they not name an MVP each year?

Oh yeah, I guess I should of been more explicit. They do it every year, but I remember Sizemore winning it because I was following him that year. Here's the complete list of MVPs, which hold some pretty good company, but soon as I seen this, I thought of how these two are kind of similar. 
Reply/Quote
Have had Hunter Greene on my fantasy baseball minor league taxi squad since the day he was available.

He has been up and down so far but that fastball is legit and he is still so young.

Huge upside !

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2018, 09:27 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Oh yeah, I guess I should of been more explicit. They do it every year, but I remember Sizemore winning it because I was following him that year. Here's the complete list of MVPs, which hold some pretty good company, but soon as I seen this, I thought of how these two are kind of similar. 

Wow Hank Conger made list. Really thought he was going to be the next great thing at Catcher. 

Dude comes out of his shoes he swings so hard, lol.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
It's nice to have a number 1 type pitcher in our system. Hopefully he can stay healthy and further develop his secondary pitches.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2018, 10:39 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Have had Hunter Greene on my fantasy baseball minor league taxi squad since the day he was available.

He has been up and down so far but that fastball is legit and he is still so young.

Huge upside !

I so hope he develops and becomes the ACE we've been missing since Johnny Cueto left.
Reply/Quote
Me too but believe he is 2 to 3 years away

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2018, 07:26 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Me too but believe he is 2 to 3 years away

Most likely two years minimum, he's just 18. Back half of next season is prolly all they'd even begin to push it and that may be to soon ?
Reply/Quote
I'm kind of looking forward to seeing Jimmy Herget in a Reds uniform. The bullpen is currently solid, but that can change on a dime. Herget has a deceptive delivery and throws from several different angles..  we definitely need starters, but we also always need fresh bullpen arms.. He's done nothing but pitch from the bullpen since becoming pro.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote