Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Billy Hamilton's last 3 seasons
…………….BA...….OB%.....SLG.....AB/SB
'16...…..  260....  321....  343....  7.1
'17...…..  247....  299....  335....  9.9
'18...…..  236....  299....  327....  14.8 

Hamilton is getting worse every year instead of better.  If he had the same "at bats per stolen base" this year as in '16 he would have stolen 71 instead of just 34.

His defense is amazing and saves a lot of runs, but not enough to make up for his low offensive production this year.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2018, 01:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: …………….BA...….OB%.....SLG.....AB/SB

Hamilton is getting worse every year instead of better.  If he had the same "at bats per stolen base" this year as in '16 he would have stolen 71 instead of just 34.

His defense is amazing and saves a lot of runs, but not enough to make up for his low offensive production this year.

It's basically like having two pitchers batting. Not many lineups can afford that.

Can the 16 BH come back or even better ? Or should they trade him ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
His salary keeps going up too! If he doesn’t run his ass of when on base, he doesn’t justify the money.
Reply/Quote
It took the Reds forever to get over their addiction to Chapman but they finally did. How long will it take to cut the cord on Billy?

The only question I have on this at all is who is the next CF?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2018, 11:01 AM)McC Wrote: The only question I have on this at all is who is the next CF?

My guess is schebler.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2018, 02:31 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: His salary keeps going up too! If he doesn’t run his ass of when on base, he doesn’t justify the money.

Yep, I don't see how they can pay him arb, which is due to increase. But they have to or they would of traded him. They may do it still next year, but with a nice raise, I am not so sure of the return or the "need" for a 4th OF making that type of salary.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote

ALL of his advanced statistics show he is in the bottom 5% in the league.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/statcast_leaderboard

For exit velocity the leader board starts at 121.7 (Stanton) and ends at 100.2 (Tony Kemp), with B-Ham a close second to last at 101.9. He simply doesn't have the muscle or eye to be a good hitter. ALL of his advance stats shows he's a bottom 5 hitter in the league.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/billy-hamilton-571740?stats=career-r-hitting-mlb

Billy is simply not a good hitter. No idea why they've tried to keep him for so long. I think they should of shopped him this year of last year before Arb kicks in. Much more appealing to teams than a guy going on his last arbitration.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2018, 08:45 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: ALL of his advanced statistics show he is in the bottom 5% in the league.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/statcast_leaderboard

For exit velocity the leader board starts at 121.7 (Stanton) and ends at 100.2 (Tony Kemp), with B-Ham a close second to last at 101.9. He simply doesn't have the muscle or eye to be a good hitter. ALL of his advance stats shows he's a bottom 5 hitter in the league.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/billy-hamilton-571740?stats=career-r-hitting-mlb

Billy is simply not a good hitter. No idea why they've tried to keep him for so long. I think they should of shopped him this year of last year before Arb kicks in. Much more appealing to teams than a guy going on his last arbitration.

I'd say you're right the Reds should have traded him. But that's pretty much been their history the last several seasons during this "rebuild".

They wait to long and they trade from a position of weakness. By and large they've got little to nothing from their trades.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2018, 09:01 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'd say you're right the Reds should have traded him. But that's pretty much been their history the last several seasons during this "rebuild".

They wait to long and they trade from a position of weakness. By and large they've got little to nothing from their trades.

Yep, more reactive vs proactive. It's really, really sad. They don't have to go gang-busters to build a competent (.500 ish) team. 
Reply/Quote

Not to say I told you so, but...

He is murder for a lineup and not in a good way; as I mentioned a couple of years ago, SBs and defense is all well and good, but not getting on base is why he just isn't good enough to be an everyday player.

He could be the next Ced Landrum, but not a full-time starter.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2018, 09:20 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Not to say I told you so, but...

He is murder for a lineup and not in a good way; as I mentioned a couple of years ago, SBs and defense is all well and good, but not getting on base is why he just isn't good enough to be an everyday player.

He could be the next Ced Landrum, but not a full-time starter.

Yep,

He'd be a great guy to bring in in the bottom of the seventh when you're up 5-1 to play CF or as a pinch runner. Start him once every couple weeks to spell a guy. He's just not an everyday starter.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2018, 09:20 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Not to say I told you so, but...

He is murder for a lineup and not in a good way; as I mentioned a couple of years ago, 

A couple of years ago he scored 69 runs in just 411 ABs and he seemed to be still improving.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2018, 11:08 AM)fredtoast Wrote: A couple of years ago he scored 69 runs in just 411 ABs and he seemed to be still improving.

69 in 411 is pretty bad for a leadoff guy, though.

Betts is a top-flite, blue-chip leadoff guy, but he got 129 in 520 this year.

If Billy had the same at bats, he'd have only 83; even if you gave that 100 would be good, he's still 13 behind.

Now, of course the Redlegs don't have the Red Sux's offense, but the point remains.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2018, 10:26 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep,

He'd be a great guy to bring in in the bottom of the seventh when you're up 5-1 to play CF or as a pinch runner. Start him once every couple weeks to spell a guy. He's just not an everyday starter.

Bingo!
Reply/Quote
https://redlegnation.com/2018/10/10/thoughts-on-the-reds-manager-search-and-why-it-may-be-doomed-to-fail-no-matter-who-they-choose-steve-mancuso/

Great read for those interested
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2018, 08:26 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Yep, I don't see how they can pay him arb, which is due to increase. But they have to or they would of traded him. They may do it still next year, but with a nice raise, I am not so sure of the return or the "need" for a 4th OF making that type of salary.

Good point. I just don’t see what the plan is for him, I’m guessing that he’s here again all year and for too much money.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2018, 10:26 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep,

And on a welfare team like the Reds, he makes too much for that role, way too much.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2018, 03:17 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: And on a welfare team like the Reds, he makes too much for that role, way too much.

Agree

There's a small, very small part of me that would like to give him one more chance to hit .285, learn how to bunt, take some walks and so on. But the other 97% knows at this point he's most likely not going to morph into a good hitter.

It's a shame he's top of the top shelf on defense.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2018, 07:54 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree

There's a small, very small part of me that would like to give him one more chance to hit .285, learn how to bunt, take some walks and so on. But the other 97% knows at this point he's most likely not going to morph into a good hitter.

Hamilton has been in the major leagues for 5+ seasons.  He is not suddenly going to change.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2018, 07:54 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree

What concerns me too is that he didn’t run much when he was on this year.
Reply/Quote