Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Billy Hamilton will not be tendered
https://twitter.com/ctrent/status/1068600499723739136

"#Reds will non-tender OF Billy Hamilton"

Not gonna lie...this surprised and delighted me.
Reply/Quote
Now that’s ownership thinking with their brain instead of their hearts. Billy seems like a great kid but he is a 3 million dollar role player and not a 7 million dollar starter.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 07:13 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Now that’s ownership thinking with their brain instead of their hearts. Billy seems like a great kid but he is a 3 million dollar role player and not a 7 million dollar starter.

Uh what did their hearts have to do with anything?

Would you re-sign him for $3-$4 million?
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 07:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Uh what did their hearts have to do with anything?

Bob’s heart kept him from trading Billy last year when he had the chance. I would be for resigning Billy for 2.5- 3 mil per year for a year or 2 but not if it means he’s a full time starter. He is a great bench player and spot starter. He is a very mediocre to poor first opinion as an everyday starter and nowhere worth the 6-7 per year that he was about to make.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 07:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Uh what did their hearts have to do with anything?

Quote:Another example for you, dear reader. Eighteen months ago, Castellini is reported to have made this statement: “I hope Billy Hamilton is with us forever.” In a vacuum, this is harmless. I’m Hamilton’s biggest fan. Sure, he has serious flaws to his game, but I love watching him rob hits with the glove and speed around the basepaths like he was driving the Mach 5. I understand why someone would become enamored with him.

https://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/reds/is-ownership-meddling-in-baseball-operations/
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 07:39 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: https://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/reds/is-ownership-meddling-in-baseball-operations/

At the time Castellini made those comments he was talking about a 25 year old player who hit .260, stole 58 bases in just 411 at bats, and played the best defensive center field in the league. 

I think every Reds fan agreed with him back then.
Reply/Quote
There is speculation that they're going to bring in a vet center fielder. I don't know why they didn't just trade them for somebody last year.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm not at all mad they let him go, he's not worth what they would have had to pay him.

But, I still can't understand how somebody can't coach him up into being a slap hitter who can bunt a little and show some patience taking walks. All the way up to the end of the season he was still swinging out of his shoes and striking out like a power hitter.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 09:37 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm not at all mad they let him go, he's not worth what they would have had to pay him.

But, I still can't understand how somebody can't coach him up into being a slap hitter who can bunt a little and show some patience taking walks. All the way up to the end of the season he was still swinging out of his shoes and striking out like a power hitter.

Even then, he only had 34 stolen bases and was thrown out ten times. He should easily have 60 plus stolen bases with his world class speed.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 09:37 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm not at all mad they let him go, he's not worth what they would have had to pay him.

I've got a feeling that some playoff team from last year will do just that, more than one needed an outfielder who could catch, and he has that part down already. I think the right teacher for him is out there someplace.
Reply/Quote
Dam shame to see him go. It was always exciting to see him make some kind of spectacular defensive play almost every night. He better win this years gold glove.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
I knw some people say this about every player that leaves here, but I could see Billy Hamilton becoming a very good player for another team.
Reply/Quote
What? No more Billy ball? He was a great defensive center fielder. And base stealer. The problem was he couldn't hit or get walks.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Quote:Cincinnati had shopped Hamilton to other clubs for a potential trade and found no interest -- even for a minimal return.
"We didn't have any takers for a real value," Reds general manager Nick Krall said.

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/billy-hamilton-non-tendered-by-reds/c-301308134

So, looks like they did try to trade him and nobody wanted to give anything good for him. I wonder how much Bell and the new hitting coach had to say about this move. Could be the first glimpse into their philosophy.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2018, 02:44 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: What? No more Billy ball? He was a great defensive center fielder. And base stealer. The problem was he couldn't hit or get walks.

Another problem was that the great base stealer only stole 34 bases while getting thrown out 10 times last year. It’s like half of the stolen bases that he had the previous 3 years while getting on base about as often. You couldn’t ask more from a defensive player. As an offensive player, dude was pathetic! If you start Billy, the toughest managerial decision is do you bat him 8th or 9th.
Reply/Quote
I;m fine with the move, but it will have it's consequences. When you have a staff like the Reds tend to trot out over the last half-decade, it helps to have a guy that can take away runs roaming center field. Hopefully what we gain at the plate will make up for what we lose defensively. Dude made plays that not many others could.

He's a symptom of a bigger problem in this organization. They tend to yank guys out of the minors way too early. Billy needed another year or two to figure out AAA pitching before he got tossed to the wolves in the majors. His career showed trends at every level of an adjustment period, then success. He wasn't really an effective hitter in Louisville at all when they brought him to Cincinnati. They just needed a guy to replace Choo, so they plugged him in and hoped for the best. I think it ruined him.

Same with a lot of the young pitching. They need starters so bad that they'll bring them up before they're developed. Castillo didn't even spend time at Louisville IIRC.
Reply/Quote
Maybe Trammell will get called up. He’s playing pretty well in the AFL.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2018, 01:11 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Maybe Trammell will get called up. He’s playing pretty well in the AFL.

Sounds like they view him as more of a left fielder.  The word on the street is that they will sign a veteran CF to replace Billy.  The next decent true CF in the minors is probably Jose Siri, but he's a year or three away from MLB, and had an injury setback in 2018.

I'd also point out that the Dodgers have about 4 center fielders on their current roster. Could be a likely trade partner.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2018, 02:47 PM)samhain Wrote: Sounds like they view him as more of a left fielder.  The word on the street is that they will sign a veteran CF to replace Billy.  The next decent true CF in the minors is probably Jose Siri, but he's a year or three away from MLB, and had an injury setback in 2018.

I'd also point out that the Dodgers have about 4 center fielders on their current roster.  Could be a likely trade partner.

Quote:It's likely that Reds center field prospect Taylor Trammell knew ahead of time that hitting a Wiffle ball is slightly different from hitting an actual baseball.

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/reds-trammell-wins-redsfest-home-run-derby-with-fan/c-301343224

Article on team's website. Looks like they view him as the future at center field. Maybe not this year, might be why they are looking for a vet, but Trammell will be the CF sooner rather than later. If they don't think Trammell is ready this year, I think Ervin would be a fine one year stop gap. He showed plenty of ability down the stretch last year.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2018, 02:58 PM)Yojimbo Wrote:  I think Ervin would be a fine one year stop gap. He showed plenty of ability down the stretch last year.

Ervin never hit anything in the minors.  Next year when the other teams have a full scouting report on him he will flounder.
Reply/Quote