Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Billy Price......
(08-27-2018, 02:41 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Our offense will struggle against average and above averages defenses due to the poor right side of the OL and the overall inability to run the ball. And we have virtually no depth on the OL so one injury and it is big trouble.  It is unfortunate that they did not complete the OL re-build in the offseaon

I understand the frustration with the lack of a better option at RT.  Hart has been the best option, and it would appear he is going to win the job.  He is better at run blocking than pass blocking right now.  Since the issue is mainly on the right side, they can somewhat scheme around that.  Chip that DE with a back, keep a TE in to block before releasing, etc.  It is miles better than last year's unit. 

I think having Price in the middle is a huge improvement and I haven't seen anyone move him back like we saw time and time again with Bodine.

As far as our "inability to run the ball", I will counter that there were several plays where Dalton had the RPO where the defense dictated that it become a pass.  I just think the few running plays they ran were straight up runs in to an 8 man front.  Predictable and really just to evaluate the blocking.  I think the running game will still be very good when the offense is spread out and Mixon doesn't have a forest to try to power through.  That is what I see happening more than the formations we have run thus far.  

Plus, I could see them moving Ross in Jet Sweeps where they would rarely hand (toss) him the ball but LBs HAVE to account for him as he flies by heading across the backfield.  That, combined with the fact that most teams will be in nickel formation and better have their safeties back or Ross, AJ, etc. could be primed for some big plays.  I think Buffalo was just dead set to stuff the run, but our WRs and TEs were WIDE OPEN beyond the LBs.  It was easy pickings.  

Don't give up on the running game just yet.  Let's see what they do week 1 against Indy. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The O-line will get better as Price gets better. A Center with strong leadership skills can mask some of those deficiencies across the line.

I look for the line to improve as Price's career moves forward. Really excited about this dude!
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 05:21 PM)Joelist Wrote: I wonder if Andy fainted the first time he took the snap, looked forward and ACTUALLY SAW A POCKET he could step into. :)

It is good to remember that what a change Price represents. The Bengals have been plagued with poor Center play almost continuously since Rich Braham had to retire. Both Ghiacuc and Bodine were in their time as starters mentioned regularly as the worst Center in the NFL and Cook at his best was sort of average. So even when we had players like Whit and Zeitler we were still plagued by poor interior line play.

Yep !

There's areas I'm concerned with on this team but C isn't one of them........finally
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 08:28 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I understand the frustration with the lack of a better option at RT.  Hart has been the best option, and it would appear he is going to win the job.  He is better at run blocking than pass blocking right now.  Since the issue is mainly on the right side, they can somewhat scheme around that.  Chip that DE with a back, keep a TE in to block before releasing, etc.  It is miles better than last year's unit. 

I think having Price in the middle is a huge improvement and I haven't seen anyone move him back like we saw time and time again with Bodine.

As far as our "inability to run the ball", I will counter that there were several plays where Dalton had the RPO where the defense dictated that it become a pass.  I just think the few running plays they ran were straight up runs in to an 8 man front.  Predictable and really just to evaluate the blocking.  I think the running game will still be very good when the offense is spread out and Mixon doesn't have a forest to try to power through.  That is what I see happening more than the formations we have run thus far.  

Plus, I could see them moving Ross in Jet Sweeps where they would rarely hand (toss) him the ball but LBs HAVE to account for him as he flies by heading across the backfield.  That, combined with the fact that most teams will be in nickel formation and better have their safeties back or Ross, AJ, etc. could be primed for some big plays.  I think Buffalo was just dead set to stuff the run, but our WRs and TEs were WIDE OPEN beyond the LBs.  It was easy pickings.  

Don't give up on the running game just yet.  Let's see what they do week 1 against Indy. 

Yes, there are ways to work around not having the best RT. Plus like you said the teams we have played in PS
so far pretty much stacked the box and forced us to throw, especially Buffalo and it backfired big time on them.

I see our running game being much better once teams get scared of our passing game.

Pick your poison.
Reply/Quote
While his pass protection has been excellent he has a lot to be desired in the run blocking game. I expect it to get fixed but it may take some time.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 04:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, there are ways to work around not having the best RT. Plus like you said the teams we have played in PS
so far pretty much stacked the box and forced us to throw, especially Buffalo and it backfired big time on them.

I see our running game being much better once teams get scared of our passing game.

Pick your poison.

Have you noticed that most of the rushing attempts are stretch runs to the outside?  Are they saving the straight up power rushes until the regular season?  It almost looks as though they are doing the old blocking schemes.  I am hoping they know what they are doing and not putting tape out on something they feel really good about this season.  If we can run the ball regularly, this team will be unstoppable.  
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 06:46 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Have you noticed that most of the rushing attempts are stretch runs to the outside?  Are they saving the straight up power rushes until the regular season?  It almost looks as though they are doing the old blocking schemes.  I am hoping they know what they are doing and not putting tape out on something they feel really good about this season.  If we can run the ball regularly, this team will be unstoppable.  

I really think they just didn't want Mixon blasting up through the middle and getting a knee or ankle blown out
Reply/Quote
I am just going to keep banging the Billy Price is a stud drum.............this kid is going to be great for years...........we got us a Center
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2018, 11:53 AM)CincyKid Wrote: I am just going to keep banging the Billy Price is a stud drum.............this kid is going to be great for years...........we got us a Center

Hopefully Mikey is out of the picture by the time his contract is up otherwise he waon't pay an interior lineman top daollars.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2018, 01:34 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Hopefully Mikey is out of the picture by the time his contract is up otherwise he waon't pay an interior lineman top daollars.

Lordy, I'm no MB fan, but hoping the guy is dead so we can lock up a guy who hasn't even played a single snap of real football might be a bit much!
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2018, 01:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Lordy, I'm no MB fan, but hoping the guy is dead so we can lock up a guy who hasn't even played a single snap of real football might be a bit much!

I did not say dead lol. Just 'out of the picture' from the team perspective
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 06:46 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Have you noticed that most of the rushing attempts are stretch runs to the outside?  Are they saving the straight up power rushes until the regular season?  It almost looks as though they are doing the old blocking schemes.  I am hoping they know what they are doing and not putting tape out on something they feel really good about this season.  If we can run the ball regularly, this team will be unstoppable.  

Sure hope this is the case. Hard to tell from a vanilla Preseason what we will see come Sunday.

Probably why i am so excited. Price alone should improve this entire Offense, he is already a leader.

Add in Glenn and the fact Pollack sure doesn't seem worried about the right side and who knows?

(08-29-2018, 08:23 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I really think they just didn't want Mixon blasting up through the middle and getting a knee or ankle blown out

Could be right on there Sled. Expect to see more directional blocking on Sunday with runs up the middle.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 01:58 PM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: No doubt.  Price is gonna anchor that center spot for the next decade.  After all these years with bums at center, we've finally got us a good one.

Wow a savagehenry spotting. How you been bro?

Yeah this will be the first time we've had a great center since Braham. Hopefully.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2018, 01:34 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Hopefully Mikey is out of the picture by the time his contract is up otherwise he waon't pay an interior lineman top daollars.

Maybe he/she/they/whoever it is would pay top dollar.   Could be another in a growing line of changes.  They could go the extension route and not let him hit the open market.  Thankfully, we won't have to give it another thought for awhile.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I would love to ask Clint Boling to compare Price so far to Bodine.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2018, 04:31 PM)McC Wrote: Maybe he/she/they/whoever it is would pay top dollar.   Could be another in a growing line of changes.  They could go the extension route and not let him hit the open market.  Thankfully, we won't have to give it another thought for awhile.

My guess is MB has already taken a step back after all the changes for the good we have seen this year.

Sure did pay Geno and Dunlap some major dough as the FO should...

(09-08-2018, 04:32 PM)McC Wrote: I would love to ask Clint Boling to compare Price so far to Bodine.

That would be a good one. Smirk
Reply/Quote