Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Billy Price Is Rocketing Up The Depth Chart!

Any good news about the line is AMAZING for me because, IMCO, that's the one area that's keeping us from being successful!

Billy Price is fighting to be the starter and is looking good due to health, confidence, and coaching, which makes me love bringing Pollack back even more:

Quote:Not too long ago, it wasn’t even clear if Billy Price would even make the final roster. Now, the former Ohio State Buckeye could be the starting center on opening day.

Against the Washington Football Team, Price finished with a solid 76.4 pass blocking grade, according to Pro Football Focus. He was part of a starting o-line that held the opposing d-line starters, all first round picks, to zero pressures. That’s a big deal considering the talent on Washington’s defensive line.

There are two major factors to his resurgence: health and coaching. “It seems like he kinda has that confidence back that was kinda lacking at time the last two years as he was going through those injuries,” said Marisa Contipelli, the Bengals’ official team reporter. “And I’m sure it helped a lot finding out that Frank Pollack, the coach that drafted him, was going to be coming back in here to work with him.”

The fact that our entire offensive line performed that well, especially against that front four, is very refreshing. If we can keep Burrow comfortable in the pocket and prevent the pocket from being pushed back into his face, it will help Burrow feel more comfortable returning from injury and allow him to just shred defenses.

Quote:Price’s preseason performances validated the positive showings in training camp. At the very least, he is serviceable, which is significant progress from where he was under previous o-line coach Jim Turner. Price looks to beat out Trey Hill for the backup center job. But he’s been playing so well that there’s a chance he could remain a starter even after Trey Hopkins returns from injury by being moved to guard.

Put the best 5 linemen on the field and let them get the job done.

The fact that this is the final year of his contract should also light a fire under his butt.

Let's hope that he starts living up to his potential and draft position!

WHO-DEY!
Reply/Quote
Word is that Trey Hopkins is starting this Sunday with Burrow.

Hopefully Price is better than the last couple years but he's not taking Hopkins job. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
The problem with Price is that he developed under Pollack then went to Jim Turner. He set the franchise back a year in development. The line will be serviceable this season but great in 22 & elite in 23. We just have to wait. "IF" they choose the right player top 10 in 22. I have them winning 6 or 7 games No injuries for Joe this season!
Reply/Quote
Is Price good now or is this just a case of "no one needs to take a step forward when everyone else takes a step backwards?"
Reply/Quote
The problem is neither Price nor Hopkins seem particularly good at the Guard position. That would be huge if we could just plug one of them into that spot. Instead they're limited to just battling for the starting Center job.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
So Price starts to work hard after his 5th year option was declined and he is fighting for a contract to remain in the league. This shouldn't surprise anyone.

Hope he is successful, hope he becomes a decent player but hard to see him on the team in 2022 after they declined the option, I'm sure it has happened before I'm just not remembering a huge trend of decline the option, then signing the guy long-term.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
May the best C win. I cant rule out Price yet because when he got to play C last year he looked good. When he played G, he looked horrible though. Hopkins is much the same, so its good to have a real battle going on for the starting C spot.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2021, 04:15 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: So Price starts to work hard after his 5th year option was declined and he is fighting for a contract to remain in the league. This shouldn't surprise anyone.

Hope he is successful, hope he becomes a decent player but hard to see him on the team in 2022 after they declined the option, I'm sure it has happened before I'm just not remembering a huge trend of decline the option, then signing the guy long-term.

Turner was an awful coaching choice by Taylor.

Reply/Quote
Hopkins healthy and Price looking better is good news, no matter how you slice it.

Acclimating and getting better with time is a thing. It is possible that if you are healthy and spent time in the league you can actually improve your game from where it previously was. It won't usually be a huge jump any particular year, but still, improved is improved.

Reply/Quote
If Price starts at C, put Hopkins at RG (or LG and move Spain to RG). Hopkins would easily be the best pass-blocking OG on the team. He's not that good in the run game though, but pass blocking more important with this offense.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2021, 05:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If Price starts at C, put Hopkins at RG (or LG and move Spain to RG). Hopkins would easily be the best pass-blocking OG on the team. He's not that good in the run game though, but pass blocking more important with this offense.

Mixon doesn't need great blocking because he hits the hole so fast and he has the vision to change his direction if the hole is blocked.  

I'd much rather them be able to better protect the franchise in Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2021, 06:42 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Mixon doesn't need great blocking because he hits the hole so fast and he has the vision to change his direction if the hole is blocked.  

Agreed. This is going to be a pass heavy offense, so pass blocking is king.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2021, 06:46 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Agreed. This is going to be a pass heavy offense, so pass blocking is king.

And having an effective passing game will make Mixon's life a billon times easier because defenses won't be able to load the box, but then Mixon's big play threat will also make the passing game a lot more efficient. 
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2021, 06:42 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Mixon doesn't need great blocking because he hits the hole so fast and he has the vision to change his direction if the hole is blocked.  

I hate to be that guy but Mixon has only been ranked fairly high in yards per attempt 1 time.

2017:  14 games - Rank 42 - 3.5 yards per attempt
2018:  14 games - Rank 12 - 4.9 yards per attempt
2019:  16 games - Rank 33 - 4.1 yards per attempt
2021:  6 games   - Rank 46 - 3.6 yards per attempt

So I think he could indeed use better run blocking. 

Source :

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2017/rushing.htm 

You can start there and click the next season link at the top to go forward to the next season.  Click the Y/A column to sort from highest to lowest.

Also I am sure some here will take this as an attack on Mixon, but it is certainly not.  I think he is a very good player.  But I think those numbers could certainly be much improved with better run blocking.  

Edit:  

I got curious who were the starting O-line players during the 2018 season when Mixon ranked 12th in yards per attempt because I forgot. Here they are.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cin/2018_roster.htm

LT Glenn,  LG Boling, C Price, RG Redmond, RT Hart.    So maybe there is something to this Price thing after all.   Wink

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2021, 04:15 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: So Price starts to work hard after his 5th year option was declined and he is fighting for a contract to remain in the league. This shouldn't surprise anyone.

I don't think that's the case at all. I think Price has worked hard since he has been here.  Taylor even singled him out as one of the hardest working guys on the team. He just hasn't been healthy, and Turner.
Reply/Quote
Trey Hopkins has been one of the only consistent quality starting lineman we’ve had , I hope he returns to forum. I’d be fine with Price starting if Hopkins isn’t ready. I didn’t like Turner either but I feel like some blame needs to go on the players. We blamed Paul Alexander for all the line issues before he left even tho he had picked / produced good lineman such as Willie Anderson, Levi Jones , Andrew Whitworth , Clint Boling , Kevin Zeitler, Eric steinbach and even guys like Anthony Collins who stepped in off the bench and played well at tackle.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2021, 09:13 AM)lone bengal Wrote: Trey Hopkins has been one of the only consistent quality starting lineman we’ve had  , I hope he returns to forum. I’d be fine with Price starting if Hopkins isn’t ready. I didn’t like Turner either but I feel like some blame needs to go on the players. We blamed  Paul Alexander for all the line issues before he left even tho he had picked / produced good lineman such as Willie Anderson, Levi Jones , Andrew  Whitworth , Clint Boling , Kevin Zeitler, Eric steinbach and even guys like Anthony Collins who stepped in off the bench and played well at tackle.

Personally, i don't think the majority of the blame goes on the players.  The offensive line plays better in some system than others.  My guess is Frank Pollacks blocking scheme is more of a fit for the players on the OL than Jim Turners was.  

Which in turn, why hire a OL coach who's system doesn't fit his personnel?  I had the same question for the DC.  Why hire a DC who's known for zone defense when you have mostly players that have played man defense with some zone mixed in.

Two massive hiring mistakes by a very inexperienced head coach who maybe has finally learned his lesson.  Otherwise, we're in for a long year. 
Reply/Quote
Isn’t he still the #2 Center behind Hopkins?
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2021, 03:36 PM)BFritz21 Wrote:
Any good news about the line is AMAZING for me because, IMCO, that's the one area that's keeping us from being successful!

Billy Price is fighting to be the starter and is looking good due to health, confidence, and coaching, which makes me love bringing Pollack back even more:

The fact that our entire offensive line performed that well, especially against that front four, is very refreshing.  If we can keep Burrow comfortable in the pocket and prevent the pocket from being pushed back into his face, it will help Burrow feel more comfortable returning from injury and allow him to just shred defenses.

Put the best 5 linemen on the field and let them get the job done.  

The fact that this is the final year of his contract should also light a fire under his butt.

Let's hope that he starts living up to his potential and draft position!  

WHO-DEY!

While I would be thrilled to see him pan out, at this point my skepticism takes over and I think they are having a story like this done in hopes that some NFL team will trade a future draft pick for him. 

I guess the question is:  How do they feel about Hill as backup center at this point?  If they feel pretty good, that makes Price expendable.  I hope that I am wrong and he has finally turned the corner while healthy and under Pollack's tutelage.  
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2021, 10:20 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Personally, i don't think the majority of the blame goes on the players.  The offensive line plays better in some system than others.  My guess is Frank Pollacks blocking scheme is more of a fit for the players on the OL than Jim Turners was.  

Which in turn, why hire a OL coach who's system doesn't fit his personnel?  I had the same question for the DC.  Why hire a DC who's known for zone defense when you have mostly players that have played man defense with some zone mixed in.

Two massive hiring mistakes by a very inexperienced head coach who maybe has finally learned his lesson.  Otherwise, we're in for a long year. 

I think far as the coaching staff hirings goes it was a combination of hiring Zac Taylor late in February meaning a lot of quality assistant coaches were already hired combined with Zac having a limited network. Zac is young and brought in Turner and Anarumo not because they were the best candidates, it was because he knew them from Miami which was one of his only NFL coaching stops. Versus an experienced coordinator like Marvin Lewis who had a ton of league coaching connections and could bring in guys like Zimmer , Gruden and so on. Pollock was brought in because he was here before not because Taylor knew him.
Reply/Quote