Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Billy price is how we compete next year
(12-04-2017, 12:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Ogbuehi should not be moved back to RT. If he's moved, it needs to be to G.

And regarding Orlando Brown, many believe he's not equipped to be a LT in the NFL but rather a stud RT. However, I think it helps to have Mixon on the team, as he played with Brown, so I think Mixon's input would factor into a decision.
Brown would still be a good pick up.  If RT is solidified, then you can help the LT more with TE's and RB'S.  It's near impossible to cover up for 2 bad T's, though.  Because of that, I'd take a sure thing at RT over a maybe at LT.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 01:09 PM)Synric Wrote: Ogbuehi would probably make a worse guard than tackle. He couldn't use his go to pass protect move of bare hugging the defender (which is being use alot this season actually look at thr packers lol). Defensive tackles would go right through him.

I simply stated guard for two reasons:
1) He's been abysmal at both OT spots in the NFL
2) His best position in college was guard
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 01:12 PM)Whatever Wrote: Brown would still be a good pick up.  If RT is solidified, then you can help the LT more with TE's and RB'S.  It's near impossible to cover up for 2 bad T's, though.  Because of that, I'd take a sure thing at RT over a maybe at LT.

I don't disagree with that statement at all.

To go along with that, I'd like to see Andre Smith re-signed. Have Brown and Smith as the bookends. It'd be an improvement over Ogbuehi and Fisher (assuming Fisher doesn't vastly improve after recovery from his surgery).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Kind of makes you wonder if they secretly signed Bodine to a forever contract? I know it only feels like he's been with the Bengals since 1932, but doesn't his contract eventually expire at some point in the next 50 years? Maybe he'll opt for free agency one of these days and go play in Cleveland. I can actually remember them picking Ogbuihi, but the old memory of the Bodine pick is becoming fuzzier by the day. It's almost like trying to remember the exact moment you stopped wetting the bed.. I know it happened, but it seems to far back for living memory.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 11:19 AM)Synric Wrote: Offensive line free agents is thin in 2018.

Not at center.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Not to worry. The Bengals will draft a guy in the first round who can run faster than a speeding bullet and catch footballs at about the same rate as a speeding bullet or just run faster than Andy can actually throw a football..
How's that for a winning strategy? 

Woops..Bodine's a FA after this season is over.. Gee, we better make sure we wrap him up long term with all that Zietler and Wittworth money we saved or we might end up with someone who can actually play the position..can't have that..
I'm sure Mikey and company are already scrubbing the NFL thrift stores basements looking for his replacement..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 01:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Not at center.

Who? 

There's Richburg that likely won't leave New York because they plan on brining in a rookie QB...

Sullivan is what 34(?) and on a prove it deal for the Rams likely to resign there..

Then Bodine...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 12:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The main reason is because Bodine becomes a FA in March.

If he's re-signed, this fan base is going to lose their minds and/or jump ship.

Bodine will be re-signed. There's no doubt in my mind he will be.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 01:40 PM)Synric Wrote: Who? 

There's Richburg that likely won't leave New York because they plan on brining in a rookie QB...

Sullivan is what 34(?) and on a prove it deal for the Rams likely to resign there..

Then Bodine...

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/center/

Out of this list, I think the following are better options than Bodine:
Richburg (obviously)
Corey Linsley
Spencer Long
Brian Schwenke
John Sullivan

But maybe you and I are viewing the FAs in a different manner. You might be viewing the C FA class as not many great C's outside of Richburg and Sullivan, but I've been viewing FA as which positions are upgrades over what the Bengals currently have for starters.

Regardless, the C list has more starting-caliber players than LT or RG (from what I've seen).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 02:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/center/

Lol but who? Like I said Richburg and Sullivan both likely to resign with their current team.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 02:53 PM)Synric Wrote: Lol but who? Like I said Richburg and Sullivan both likely to resign with their current team.

Looks like you responded before I edited my post to include those that I think would improve the C situation.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 03:11 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Looks like you responded before I edited my post to include those that I think would improve the C situation.

Yea my bad uhh I don't think Sullivan, Richburg, or Schwenke (LG?) leave their current teams. 

And no I'm just not sold on Long or Lindsey.

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 03:20 PM)Synric Wrote: Yea my bad uhh I don't think Sullivan, Richburg, or Schwenke (LG?) leave their current teams. 

And no I'm just not sold on Long or Lindsey.

Schwenke was originally drafted as a center but moved to guard because Ben Jones has played really well at C.
You might be right that Sullivan, Richburg, or Schwenke may not leave their current teams, but that's not guaranteed until they actually sign or are tagged.

Why are you not sold on Long or Lindsey? Both have played better in the past than Bodine has.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 03:33 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Schwenke was originally drafted as a center but moved to guard because Ben Jones has played really well at C.
You might be right that Sullivan, Richburg, or Schwenke may not leave their current teams, but that's not guaranteed until they actually sign or are tagged.

Why are you not sold on Long or Lindsey? Both have played better in the past than Bodine has.

Linsley and Long have not really played better than Bodine. Worse? No but not really any better either.

I think they would have a better shot bargin diving at Guard like Dakota Dozier.

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 08:32 AM)Jpoore Wrote: I'd be willing to let it go another year for a left tackle. U can't have 4 sometimes 5 holes on the oline. If ur just lacking at the tackle spots ur guards can help out with the tackles. But if ur guards suck as well ur screwed. We need to solidify the interior oline and work from there to the tackles. It can't be fixed in one year. So u got 2 options. Take Billy price in the first, sign Andrew norwell for about 7-8 million at rg and take a left/right tackle in the second(brown/Rankin/Williams). I personally prefer option 2 which is take Billy price in the first, then best guard in draft if he's still avaliable in will hernandez and in the third take a jamarco Jones/okafor at tackle.

I think I'm with you on going another year with Og.   I don't think the tackles in this draft will be good enough, but I think there are guards we can take and I too like Price.   My only concern is if he can handle NFL bull rushes.  It will be interesting to see where Price ends up being slotted in the draft.   If Price is good enough I say that's where you start.  If we can get a 2nd rounder for AJM maybe we can trade back into the first and end up with two really good linemen.

I definitely think solidifying the interior would be the best way to start - both for the running game and building a pocket.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 03:41 PM)Synric Wrote: Linsley and Long have not really played better than Bodine. Worse? No but not really any better either.

I think they would have a better shot bargin diving at Guard like Dakota Dozier.

That's debatable.

Corey Linsley has had 1-2 very good seasons in the past. He's also rated the #22 C on PFF this year at 54.3.
Spencer Long has been a pretty good pass blocker in the past too. He's rated at 56.0 on PFF this year, but has been better in some years prior.
Neither of those are good this year, but they are still 10+ points higher than Russell Bodine's 43.9 rating.

Bodine is a bottom-tier starter and has been every year he's been in the league. Long and Linsley may not ever be a top 10 C going forward, but both are without a doubt better than Bodine. I would consider Long and Linsley to be on that second-tier priority when FA hits.

It really comes down to do you look to upgrade to at least around the middle or do you keep rolling with a bottom-tier starter and wait for another draft pick to come along that is a slam dunk?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 03:58 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That's debatable.

Corey Linsley has had 1-2 very good seasons in the past. He's also rated the #22 C on PFF this year at 54.3.
Spencer Long has been a pretty good pass blocker in the past too. He's rated at 56.0 on PFF this year, but has been better in some years prior.
Neither of those are good this year, but they are still 10+ points higher than Russell Bodine's 43.9 rating.

Bodine is a bottom-tier starter and has been every year he's been in the league
. Long and Linsley may not ever be a top 10 C going forward, but both are without a doubt better than Bodine. I would consider Long and Linsley to be on that second-tier priority when FA hits.

It really comes down to do you look to upgrade to at least around the middle or do you keep rolling with a bottom-tier starter and wait for another draft pick to come along that is a slam dunk?

Bodine actually had a good 2015 season he was middle of the pack (70s rating according to PFF). He was inconsistant good games and bad games. One of the reasons they didn't offer Zeilter an extention.

No I don't think Lindsey or Long will come into the AFC North (Bodine's worst games were mostly against the Steelers and Ravens) and Improve their game...as for a slam dunk nothing is a given but I believe their best bet is in the draft this offseason Wynn or Bozeman as the likely prospects.

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 04:16 PM)Synric Wrote: Bodine actually had a good 2015 season he was middle of the pack (70s rating according to PFF). He was inconsistant good games and bad games. One of the reasons they didn't offer Zeilter an extention.

No I don't think Lindsey or Long will come into the AFC North (Bodine's worst games were mostly against the Steelers and Ravens) and Improve their game...as for a slam dunk nothing is a given but I believe their best bet is in the draft this offseason Wynn or Bozeman as the likely prospects.

Can you provide a link to this claim? Because I found this post from Cincy Jungle after the 2015 season...
Quote:Bodine finished his rookie season as one of the worst-rated centers and didn't improve much in Year 2. In fact, Pro Football Focus ranked Bodine as their 30th-best center out of 39 eligible players. His 42.4 grade puts him in PFF's 'replaceable' tier of players, the worst of five tiers PFF has.
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/2/21/11014908/bengals-exit-interview-center-russell-bodine
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 04:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Can you provide a link to this claim? Because I found this post from Cincy Jungle after the 2015 season...
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/2/21/11014908/bengals-exit-interview-center-russell-bodine

No it was off the top of my head. I remember him having some really good games and some really bad games mostly bad in the AFC North his entire career. 

I just have no faith in below average starters in a weaker defensive divisons NFC East and NFC North to come into the AFC North and dramatically improve their game....

Have to agree to disagree

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2017, 10:58 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Mcglichey is pretty damn good..worthy of high pick.. 1st rounder.
He's good against bull rush and leverage rushers. But dude is like ogbuehi bad against speed rushers. And while pff sucks at grading olineman he dropped from a 93 grade first year to a 55 last 2 years due to speed rushers consistently beating him.
(12-04-2017, 11:50 AM)3wt Wrote: Price will go too late for us to take him in the first round and he won't be there when we pick in the 2nd.  And we will win too much to qualify for Quentin Nelson - the best lineman in the draft - who we would probably not draft that high even if he is there because he's a guard.

I mean for me the dream draft would be to solidify our interior - Nelson and Price.   But we will not be drafting either of them.   We will end up with a tackle in the 2nd round and an interior lineman in the 3 or 4th round.  I have no idea who they will draft in the first round.  Still a possibility of one of the tackles if we draft after 15.  But it will be a conditional BPA - i.e not a guard, center, DT or safety.   Hurst might be a possibility, but not likely.  Too small to take that high.
1. That's why I want to trade back to low 20s and get price. 2. Nelson isn't the best lineman in the draft Hernandez is out of utep.. it's not close. Dude will be an all pro within 2 years.
3.if we don't trade down then Derwin James needs to be the pick.
(12-04-2017, 03:45 PM)3wt Wrote: I think I'm with you on going another year with Og.   I don't think the tackles in this draft will be good enough, but I think there are guards we can take and I too like Price.   My only concern is if he can handle NFL bull rushes.  It will be interesting to see where Price ends up being slotted in the draft.   If Price is good enough I say that's where you start.  If we can get a 2nd rounder for AJM maybe we can trade back into the first and end up with two really good linemen.

I definitely think solidifying the interior would be the best way to start - both for the running game and building a pocket.
If we could get price at like 22, then trade the 2 second rounders to trade back up to like 26-29 and get the best guard in the draft will hernandez, that would be amazing. Also wouldn't hate drafting 2 guards in this draft. Bookings okay but he's only average and this is a amazing guard draft. Price just dominated a top 10-15 pick in mo Hurst all game. He can definitely handle the bill rush no question. The play for me was when against msu on a dive play he knocked the dlineman on his ass moved into the lb and knocked him on his ass and then blcoked the safety to get a 90 yard td. That was the play where I was like I want him.
Reply/Quote