Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Birth of stripes helmet
Cincy Jungle had a picture of Paul Brown the day the AFL awarded him the franchise.

It appears he is next to a table with several concepts helmets.

He is holding a helmet with stripes that looks similar to our current helmets.

We’re the strioed helmets conceived originally in 1967? Does anyone know?

Thanks!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It would be really interesting to learn more about the reasoning and decision process behind selection of the original helmet design and other potential designs at the time.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 10:30 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It would be really interesting to learn more about the reasoning and decision process behind selection of the original helmet design and other potential designs at the time.

Seems like I've read/saw on A Football Life that he went with the original design to spite the Browns. Our uniforms were almost identical except for the Bengals on the helmet.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 11:16 AM)Wyche Wrote: Seems like I've read/saw on A Football Life that he went with the original design to spite the Browns. Our uniforms were almost identical except for the Bengals on the helmet.

Yep. That was a bitter deal when Paul got fired by the Stains. He decided to make his own team and make them look like them at 
the time. It was the best move ever when he picked the striped helmets though and we went our own way.
Reply/Quote
The striped helmet and uniform is the main reason I became a Bengal fan. I don't live in Cincy.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2023, 07:43 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Cincy Jungle had a picture of Paul Brown the day the AFL awarded him the franchise.

It appears he is next to a table with several concepts helmets.

He is holding a helmet with stripes that looks similar to our current helmets.

We’re the strioed helmets conceived originally in 1967? Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Are you referring to this picture?

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cleveland.com%2Fres...ipo=images]

If so, I don't see the actual "Bengals" helmet that had the name on the side, so I am not sure if this is from when the team was founded or when they were deciding on the new style after moving away from the "Bengals" name on the side.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Fun fact - Bengals were actually named after a stove. Yes, a stove.

Back in the day they were trying to come up with a name for the franchise. Person that was in charge of it was at his kitchen on day, trying to come up with the name. He looked over and saw an old Bengals branded stove and went with it. The rest is history.

The Cincinnati stoves.

[Image: GKRbengal_white-1.jpg]
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 03:59 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Fun fact - Bengals were actually named after a stove. Yes, a stove.

Back in the day they were trying to come up with a name for the franchise. Person that was in charge of it was at his kitchen on day, trying to come up with the name. He looked over and saw an old Bengals branded stove and went with it. The rest is history.

The Cincinnati stoves.

Thats amazing!! From kitchen appliances to fierce predator....
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 03:59 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Fun fact - Bengals were actually named after a stove. Yes, a stove.

The Cincinnati stoves.

Another fun fact.  The 1937 Bengals, their first season and the team sort of named after the stove, only won 2 games.   In 2019 the Bengals only won 2 games which got them the number 1 pick and allowed them to draft Joe Burrow in 2020.  The only other time the current Bengals only won 2 games was the 2002 season which also got them the number one draft pick and they drafted Carson Palmer in 2003.  Weird...   Big Grin

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 04:21 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Another fun fact.  The 1937 Bengals, their first season and the team sort of named after the stove, only won 2 games.   In 2019 the Bengals only won 2 games which got them the number 1 pick and allowed them to draft Joe Burrow in 2020.  The only other time the current Bengals only won 2 games was the 2002 season which also got them the number one draft pick and they drafted Carson Palmer in 2003.  Weird...   Big Grin

Full disclosure, I didn't know the Bengals existed in any form back then. Pre-merger football for me is prehistoric. 1937 is like pre-wheel. That's an amazing little nugget I wouldn't have come across otherwise. Thanks. 
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 09:02 PM)tms Wrote: Full disclosure, I didn't know the Bengals existed in any form back then. Pre-merger football for me is prehistoric. 1937 is like pre-wheel. That's an amazing little nugget I wouldn't have come across otherwise. Thanks. 

Here is an article if you are interested in more on the topic:

https://www.wcpo.com/news/our-community/from-the-vault/from-the-vault-do-bengals-owe-their-name-to-a-stove

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote

The Cincinnati stoves.

I'm not so sure about this... I was always told that the team was named after a tiger that got loose in Pennsylvania and killed a steel worker along with his pet bird while the guy was taking a dump.   But that might not be correct....

Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 03:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Are you referring to this picture?

If so, I don't see the actual "Bengals" helmet that had the name on the side, so I am not sure if this is from when the team was founded or when they were deciding on the new style after moving away from the "Bengals" name on the side.

That’s the picture
Reply/Quote
Do recall being a senior in HS at the time when the stripes added for the 81 season. The Bengals went straight to their first SB ever by seasons end.

Me and my Bengals friends had a party themed the "StriperBowl" that year.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 03:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Are you referring to this picture?

I think we can ALL agree that we were lucky as hell they didn't go with the staple remover in the solid B design for the helmets, which they seem to have at least 3 different version of for god knows what reason.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2023, 10:06 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I think we can ALL agree that we were lucky as hell they didn't go with the staple remover in the solid B design for the helmets, which they seem to have at least 3 different version of for god knows what reason.

Agree. Looks there's a slight variation in each of the "Cs" inside of that monstrosity.

Reply/Quote
(06-02-2023, 10:06 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I think we can ALL agree that we were lucky as hell they didn't go with the staple remover in the solid B design for the helmets, which they seem to have at least 3 different version of for god knows what reason.

LMAO! Staple remover lol  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2023, 01:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: LMAO! Staple remover lol  Hilarious

I mean .... he's pretty spot on, lol.

Reply/Quote