Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Monday - Coach Firings
Zimmer has been fired - Link to tweet

Brian Flores has been fired - Link to tweet

Matt Nagy has been fired - Link to tweet
Reply/Quote
I'm actually really surprised by the Flores firing.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 12:51 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I'm actually really surprised by the Flores firing.

Absolutely. Going 4-2 against the Hoodie should be reason enough to be retained in the AFCE.

Not sure as to the power structure in Miami, but unless Tua was Flores' pick the guy did the best he could with a pretty crap QB situation. Things could have been wildly different if they had landed Deshaun Watson.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yeah I wasn't expecting the Flores firing. After the 7 game losing streak the Dolphins won 8 of their last 9 games with the 1 loss to the number 1 seed Titans. Granted those 8 wins were all against pretty bad teams aside from the Patriots but it looked like the Dolphins were starting to get things together. So it seems a bit odd to me to start over after showing improvement. I guess that 7 game losing streak had something to do with it.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
The Flores firing is surprising from a results POV, but we could just see from TV last year; guy is a massive ahole and even if the team is on his side, it looks like management absolutely is not.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Flores firing is surprising
Reply/Quote
1) Wow, with the Bengals going to the playoffs and our talking not focusing on "Fire Zac!", I forgot about Black Monday where coaches lose their job.

2) As others have posted, I'm surprised with the Flores firing and it feels like a move where the GM is making a change just to keep their own position.

3) I wonder if Zimmer lands as a head coach for '22, as a coordinator, or sits out the season?
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 03:09 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: 1) Wow, with the Bengals going to the playoffs and our talking not focusing on "Fire Zac!", I forgot about Black Monday where coaches lose their job.

2) As others have posted, I'm surprised with the Flores firing and it feels like a move where the GM is making a change just to keep their own position.

3) I wonder if Zimmer lands as a head coach for '22, as a coordinator, or sits out the season?

Going to be interesting to see what the NFL temperature is on Zimmer ?
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 03:42 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Going to be interesting to see what the NFL temperature is on Zimmer ?

Yeah, I've read online that he's the old way of the NFL: tough coach with a defensive mindset. Yet, he still seems to garner some respect. I think he'll at least be a coordinator if not in the NFL, then at the college level, but will he be a hot coaching commodity or not? No idea.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 12:54 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: http://thebengalsboard.com/newreply.php?tid=30138&replyto=1139683
Absolutely. Going 4-2 against the Hoodie should be reason enough to be retained in the AFCE.

Not sure as to the power structure in Miami, but unless Tua was Flores' pick the guy did the best he could with a pretty crap QB situation. Things could have been wildly different if they had landed Deshaun Watson.

I wouldn’t think so based off this…

Reply/Quote
Houston fired David Culley.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33058754/source-houston-texans-fire-coach-david-culley-just-one-season

I'm not gonna lie, this is ****** up.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 12:54 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Absolutely. Going 4-2 against the Hoodie should be reason enough to be retained in the AFCE.

Not really, Watson still would have pulled that crap and been suspended.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 05:36 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Houston fired David Culley.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33058754/source-houston-texans-fire-coach-david-culley-just-one-season

Now the leading candidate is former NFL LB Jerod Mayo. Just another team trying the Patriot Way.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 05:36 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Houston fired David Culley.

I didn’t know much about David Culley I just saw the article they fired him and then went on a tangent about black coaches in the NFL, but then I decided to look at his history. He would have been someone I was very interested in a lot of history working under other coaches that I think are fantastic like Andy Reid and Bill Cowher. A long history of success with multiple franchises and solid offenses.

It really is bullshit that they hired him already knowing all the crap that was going on. He well exceeded expectations in my opinion (though they definitely had games where they looked as awful as I thought they’d be all year). Makes me mad to see a guy his age grind for decades working his way up the coaching ladder just to get shit canned like this.

I have an odd feeling they really want to hire Brian Flores, which may have led to the late firing? Still though it’s a terrible look on the Texans part. With him exceeding expectations they probably should have at least kept him around another year or two to build up the roster and move farther away from Watson.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 02:46 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Now the leading candidate is former NFL LB Jerod Mayo. Just another team trying the Patriot Way.

Saw they were going to interview Hines Ward for the HC job. Texans are a joke.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
Word on the street is they only fired Culley because Flores became available.
In other texan football news:
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cowboys-could-replace-mike-mccarthy-with-kellen-moore-after-team-fails-to-meet-playoff-expectations/
A worringly smart move from the Star.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2022, 02:33 AM)CorpusChristiBengal Wrote: Word on the street is they only fired Culley because Flores became available.
In other texan football news:
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cowboys-could-replace-mike-mccarthy-with-kellen-moore-after-team-fails-to-meet-playoff-expectations/
A worringly smart move from the Star.

They better land Flores or this Culley firing is going to look even worse.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2022, 02:42 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: They better land Flores or this Culley firing is going to look even worse.

What exactly happened? I'm confused.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2022, 04:43 AM)magikod Wrote: What exactly happened? I'm confused.

Firstly he should never have been hired.  He'd never even been an OC, but was 30+ years older than ZT when he took the job.  The speculation (here in Houston) was that he was just a cheap stop gap while the Texans rebuilt.  His 5 year contract which was very cheap from a HC perspective had only 4 years guaranteed.

Most people are probably saying it's messed up because a 1 year coach with 4 years remaining got fired.  But it was not a surprise here in Houston, especially after Flores got fired in Miami.  I do not see how the gruffness of Flores is going to work very well with this controlling ***** FO the Texans have.

if anyone wants details from the local Houston media (never listen to national media - they are always wrong), the last 4-5 articles are all about this firing - https://houston.sportsmap.com/nfl/
Reply/Quote
Not a head coach but Baltimore just parted ways with Martindale. Personally I'm happy they did it, that defense was ravaged by injuries and the other three years they were Top 5 in DVOA. Get him out of the division please.
Reply/Quote