Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Skull Matters?
I hesitate to post this. Clearly it is an anti-American propaganda piece. Luckily, I know the real patriots among you will see through the lies. I mean, you would have to be pretty gullible to believe what the article claims.

For those gullible enough to believe the article's claims, what do you think about it? Is collecting skulls and skins innocent America fun akin to collecting baseball cards and autographed sports equipment? Is it fun for all races in these modern times, or if black folk start to collect will it be another sign they are taking America from white Americans, who better get busy and take their country back? Should we set up a sub-forum for buying and selling skulls and skins?

(Link and full text of article below.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/18/opinion/nat-turners-skull-and-my-students-purse-of-skin.html?_r=0

This month, Richard Hatcher, a former mayor of Gary, Ind., delivered what researchers suspect is the skull of Nat Turner, the rebel slave, to Turner’s descendants. The skull had been kept as a relic, sold and probably handed down through generations, for nearly 185 years. If DNA tests confirm that the skull is genuine, then Turner’s family will have the opportunity to lay their famous relative to rest.

Many were shocked when National Geographic reported the existence of the skull, the same day that “The Birth of a Nation,” a new movie about Nat Turner, was released. But the traffic and trade in human remains — from the fingers, toes and sexual organs of executed enslaved people, to the hair and nails of the victims of the Holocaust — are part of our history. Some Americans were not surprised at all by the news; they might even have some “family heirlooms” of their own hidden in their homes, waiting to be shared with their children.

Turner was hanged in southeast Virginia on Nov. 11, 1831, for leading a rebellion of slaves that left some 55 white people dead. Those who came to witness his death then decapitated and skinned him. They bragged about it for decades. One participant, William Mallory, also known as Buck, gloated so much about having skinned Turner that it was listed in his own obituary.

Turner’s skull was not the only one in circulation. Nineteenth-century newspapers occasionally advertised that a decapitated head had been discovered. Sometimes they were found on trains, left on the side of the road, or impaled on stakes following executions. Public hangings — of people of all races — were a routine part of early American life. Vigilantes often took trophies, proof, in their mind, that “justice” had been served. They made purses of skin and took the grease from the flesh, and used it as oil. These souvenirs were then passed down through generations.

Three years ago, during a lecture in my introduction to African-American history course, I talked about my own research into Turner’s skull. I had been tracing its post-mortem journey while finishing a book about the value of enslaved people in life and after death. One student, who always sat up front but rarely spoke, raised his hand and said he could confirm my research from personal experience.

He came from a family of medical doctors four generations deep, and his father had a purse made of human flesh. This purse, he explained, was unique in that it was divided into sections of different colored skin, one of which came from a black person. The class was silent.

The purse had been passed down through the male heirs in his family, and soon it would be his. He was hesitant to speak about it, but something moved him to share. That night he went home and asked his father if he could bring it to class. His dad said no. Could he take a picture? Again, no. That was the end of the conversation.

The souvenirs that weren’t handed down within families were often sold. There was an active market in skulls at the time of Turner’s death. The field of scientific racism was on the rise, and doctors and anthropologists studied the size and shape of craniums to try to buttress theories about racial superiority. Samuel Morton, a craniologist, had the largest collection in the world, with more than 130 agents making purchases for him on just about every continent. By the late 19th century, he owned more than a thousand human skulls. Many of them can now be found in the Samuel George Morton collection at the University of Pennsylvania Museum.

Local physicians took possession of Turner’s skull after his execution, and it was most likely studied at medical schools in Virginia, and as far north as Ohio and perhaps Indiana.

In 2002, Mr. Hatcher, the former mayor, who had been attempting to found a civil rights museum, received the skull from activists who had gotten it from a family of physicians who had owned it for three generations. Filmmakers who had made a documentary about Nat Turner later connected him to Shanna Batten Aguirre and Shelly Lucas Wood, Turner’s descendants.

We will never know all of the deceased who experienced such “post-mortem consumption,” as I call it. But the phenomenon continues today, even in the form of images of black death that do not involve dismemberment. What else to call the photo of Trayvon Martin’s body that George Zimmerman retweeted after shooting him? Twitter took it down, knowing it was an act of utter disrespect, but not before it had been shared many times.

Such consumption is part of American history. If I can teach a class and have one student with a relic in his family’s possession, I know there are others. Will you not come forward and admit to collecting ghostly relics of the past? I recognize that, at one point, these “trophies” served as evidence that justice had been served, but now it’s time to bring justice to those who were desecrated. Returning these body parts to descendants, or at least granting them a respectful burial, will help our nation heal from the sin of slavery and its ugly afterlife.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Setting aside your insanely baiting premise I'll simply state this. Collecting human remains is odd regardless of how they came to be "collected" in the first place. Unless being done for medical/scientific purposes or being placed in a museum I'd call the practice morbid at best. Being specific to this incident, or in relation to the slave trade, simply makes it more so.
Just came back last weekend from Ft. Sill in Oklahoma.  While we were there I had to get a photo of Geronimo's grave because my father in law took one when he was in basic there and wanted another from from now.

[Image: 14691904_10210759734253501_4532217670279366437_o.jpg]

Interestingly they said he is buried there minus his skull which is with the Skull & Bones society at Yale.

Kinda wondered why and how but didn't look into it yet.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
If I remember correctly, many Catholic Churches have relics of dead saints, often body parts. Not sure you can argue this bizarre practice of collecting parts of dead people is unique to the US...
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-20-2016, 11:30 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: If I remember correctly, many Catholic Churches have relics of dead saints, often body parts. Not sure you can argue this bizarre practice of collecting parts of dead people is unique to the US...

Most (all?) have a relic in their altar...if I remember my school lessons correctly.

First link I found on it:  http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=254186
I'm not sure what the point is here. I don't think I'd keep human remains, but if you discover ancient human remains, that's pretty cool. Tut for example. And the practice of keeping trophies of foes such as skulls is thousands of years old, all across the globe.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: trophy-ceremony.png]
(10-20-2016, 11:43 AM)GMDino Wrote: Most (all?) have a relic in their altar...if I remember my school lessons correctly.

First link I found on it:  http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=254186

Yea, that's what I thought. I remember learning that in CCD, but I went to a more traditional church, and I have since seen some more Protestant feeling newer Catholic Churches in the area, so I wasn't sure if they had them too.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(10-20-2016, 12:43 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Yea, that's what I thought. I remember learning that in CCD, but I went to a more traditional church, and I have since seen some more Protestant feeling newer Catholic Churches in the area, so I wasn't sure if they had them too.

We have Jesus' 432nd big toe.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(10-20-2016, 11:30 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: If I remember correctly, many Catholic Churches have relics of dead saints, often body parts. Not sure you can argue this bizarre practice of collecting parts of dead people is unique to the US...

While I see reasons for calling both practices bizarre and unseemly, I also see a substantial difference between "venerating" the remains of "saints" or loved ones in a church or cemetery and decapitating and/or skinning murdered "uppity" blacks and passing their skulls and skins down as "family heirlooms." But, I am libtarded. 
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(10-20-2016, 11:51 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I'm not sure what the point is here.  I don't think I'd keep human remains, but if you discover ancient human remains, that's pretty cool.  Tut for example.  And the practice of keeping trophies of foes such as skulls is thousands of years old, all across the globe.

The practice of having intercourse with goats is also thousands of years old. I personally don't go in for it, but if you want to keep your options open good for you. 

I had not considered the parallels between archaeologists and the descendants of those who murdered black men, women, and children, and desecrated their bodies to make "trophies" for their families. Thanks for pointing that out. Which, by the way, is one of the points of this thread. I knew I would learn something when I posted the article. Thanks for coming through for me.
(10-20-2016, 03:24 PM)xxlt Wrote: The practice of having intercourse with goats is also thousands of years old. I personally don't go in for it, but if you want to keep your options open good for you. 

I had not considered the parallels between archaeologists and the descendants of those who murdered black men, women, and children, and desecrated their bodies to make "trophies" for their families. Thanks for pointing that out. Which, by the way, is one of the points of this thread. I knew I would learn something when I posted the article. Thanks for coming through for me.

Wtf are you talking about?  American Indians scalped people and hung them on their belt.  What does this have to do with black people? It's literally been done to every group that has ever lived.

(10-20-2016, 04:42 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Wtf are you talking about?  American Indians scalped people and hung them on their belt.  What does this have to do with black people?  It's literally been done to every group that has ever lived.

It's only bad if white people do it! Don't you know?!?!? Mellow
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
All human remains should be respectfully buried.

Period.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Geezus, that stuff is all over Italy. The cathedral in Verona has Saint _____'s Jawbone on display (can't remember the name) in a bell jar on a gold stand and people line up to genuflect. Then there are the catacombs in Rome and the bones arranged like giant flowers.
(10-20-2016, 04:42 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Wtf are you talking about?  American Indians scalped people and hung them on their belt.  What does this have to do with black people?  It's literally been done to every group that has ever lived.

Not fair when the Indians do it.  Stealing customs from the white man.
(10-21-2016, 12:13 AM)Dill Wrote: Not fair when the Indians do it.  Stealing customs from the white man.

I believe that's called cultural appropriation.

(10-20-2016, 08:19 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: It's only bad if white people do it! Don't you know?!?!? Mellow

Girls, girls!  You're both pretty!

http://www.native-languages.org/iaq12.htm

Quote:Q: Who invented scalping? My history book says it was the Indians but the tribe who lives near me says the colonists used to scalp them. 

A: They're both right. Scalping--cutting off the scalp of a dead enemy as proof of his demise-- was common practice throughout North America before colonists got here. It is described in Indian oral histories, and preserved scalps were found at archaeological sites. Colonists learned to scalp enemies from the Indians. (The European custom was to cut off people's heads for proof/trophies, originally, but scalps are easier to transport and preserve, so the colonists quickly switched to the Indian method.) Once they picked up the technique, the English did a tremendous amount of scalping, both of natives and of rival Frenchmen. Here's a bounty notice from 1755 offering varying rewards for the scalps of Indian men, women, and children. (These scalps, incidentally, were commonly referred to as "redskins," one reason why that is considered such a rude racial slur by many Native Americans today.) American and Canadian frontiersmen kept up the tradition of scalping until the turn of the 20th century, though in some places, like California, they reverted back to severed heads. There was actually still a law on the books in Canada as of the year 2000 promising bounties in exchange for Indian scalps, though the embarrassed Canadian government was hurrying to repeal it (here's an article on that). 

In other words, the scalping technique came from the American Indians, the idea of taking a piece of a dead enemy's body as a war prize was well known to Indians and Europeans alike, and the idea of paying bounties for dead body parts came from the Europeans. 
(10-20-2016, 11:30 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: All human remains should be respectfully buried.

Period.

Well, this seems to be the minority opinion. The majority seems to feel that collecting body parts as "trophies" is good clean fun for the whole family, a tradition unlike any other. I am sure folks will understand if you aren't a regular visitor to the buy-sell-trade human body parts sub-forum in the works. 
(10-21-2016, 09:30 AM)xxlt Wrote: Well, this seems to be the minority opinion. The majority seems to feel that collecting body parts as "trophies" is good clean fun for the whole family, a tradition unlike any other. I am sure folks will understand if you aren't a regular visitor to the buy-sell-trade human body parts sub-forum in the works. 
So..... a planned parenthood sub-forum ?
Ninja