Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blake Fisher RT
Just curious if I am missing something that someone else has seen. I just rewatched all of the offensive snaps for Notre Dame against Ohio with the purpose of really watching Blake Fisher and I am trying to figure out why he is not in the talk for RT? This kid blames a very solid brand of football and frankly against Ohio State he held up just as well as Alt did. Fisher completely shut down Sawyer.

I am going to be watching more film on Fisher to see if there is something I am missing but as of now I do not see a glaring deficiency in this kids game at RT. Let me know what you know about this kid.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 06:07 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Just curious if I am missing something that someone else has seen. I just rewatched all of the offensive snaps for Notre Dame against Ohio with the purpose of really watching Blake Fisher and I am trying to figure out why he is not in the talk for RT? This kid blames a very solid brand of football and frankly against Ohio State he held up just as well as Alt did. Fisher completely shut down Sawyer.

I am going to be watching more film on Fisher to see if there is something I am missing but as of now I do not see a glaring deficiency in this kids game at RT. Let me know what you know about this kid.
This is what nfldraftbuzz said about him.

Scouting Report: Strengths
  • Cerebral player, quick to react to twists and stunts up front, and Fisher shows an excellent understanding of angles when moving out as a run blocker.
  • In the run game does a nice job generating a push at the initial point of attack. Fisher can get outside and does a decent job landing blocks in space.
  • As a pass protector, he plays with good balance and holds up against the bull rush. He has strong hands and does a nice job gripping and latching on once he has his hands on the pass rusher.
  • Fisher is a work in progress with high-end physical traits. He’s extremely light on his feet for a 300-pounder, a natural knee-bender who plays with balance and leverage.
  • Bursts off the line of scrimmage and has tremendous natural strength and power, able to dominate at the point of attack and wipe out defenders in the run game.
  • In pass protection, he flashes a strong initial punch and typically has good hand placement.

Scouting Report: Weaknesses
  • Has enough power in the run game, but at times Fisher seems to lack a mean streak.
  • He’s shaky as a pass protector, which is troublesome for the next level. Fisher often plays too high with an inconsistent kick slide.
  • Loses leverage battles and plays with high pad level. Can be late off the snap.

I think the kid has solid potential.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 06:07 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Just curious if I am missing something that someone else has seen. I just rewatched all of the offensive snaps for Notre Dame against Ohio with the purpose of really watching Blake Fisher and I am trying to figure out why he is not in the talk for RT? This kid blames a very solid brand of football and frankly against Ohio State he held up just as well as Alt did. Fisher completely shut down Sawyer.

It's not that Fisher isn't a good prospect, imo.  It's the fact that this is an absolutely stacked OT class.  I would have both Fisher and Texas's Christian Jones as second rounders in the past two draft classes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 06:37 PM)pulses Wrote: This is what nfldraftbuzz said about him.

• Cerebral player, quick to react to twists and stunts up front, and Fisher shows an excellent understanding of angles when moving out as a run blocker.
  • In the run game does a nice job generating a push at the initial point of attack. Fisher can get outside and does a decent job landing blocks in space.
  • As a pass protector, he plays with good balance and holds up against the bull rush. He has strong hands and does a nice job gripping and latching on once he has his hands on the pass rusher.
  • Fisher is a work in progress with high-end physical traits. He’s extremely light on his feet for a 300-pounder, a natural knee-bender who plays with balance and leverage.
  • Bursts off the line of scrimmage and has tremendous natural strength and power, able to dominate at the point of attack and wipe out defenders in the run game.
  • In pass protection, he flashes a strong initial punch and typically has good hand placement.

• Has enough power in the run game, but at times Fisher seems to lack a mean streak.
  • He’s shaky as a pass protector, which is troublesome for the next level. Fisher often plays too high with an inconsistent kick slide.
  • Loses leverage battles and plays with high pad level. Can be late off the snap.

Those are like serious kicks to the sack for Offensive Linemen.  That's almost the equivalent of saying "He's a great hunter, but he always lets the deer pass because he's so cute"...

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 06:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Those are like serious kicks to the sack for Offensive Linemen.  That's almost the equivalent of saying "He's a great hunter, but he always lets the deer pass because he's so cute"...

He needs some work obviosuly but he has some potential and ND pumps out good OL all the time.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 06:50 PM)pulses Wrote: He needs some work obviosuly but he has some potential and ND pumps out good OL all the time.

That is true, they do typically churn out quality, disciplined OL.  However, if his heart isn't in it and those traits aren't inherent in him, he likely won't last in the NFL.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 06:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That is true, they do typically churn out quality, disciplined OL.  However, if his heart isn't in it and those traits aren't inherent in him, he likely won't last in the NFL.

I agree.
Reply/Quote

It appears that he is a round 3 to 4 prospect from what I am seeing.

I wonder how he would do as an option to push Volson for playing time at Guard while also developing as a 

potential longer term RT option. 

Could he ultimately be better than Volson as a Guard ?

If thinking purely playing RT, the Bengals may need a more sure thing that can start sooner rather than later.

Would the Bengals take a player like Fisher to learn behind say a Veteran Free Agent RT for a while and 

how much better would Fisher end up being longer term versus say 2nd rounder Jackson Carman ?
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 06:37 PM)pulses Wrote: This is what nfldraftbuzz said about him.

I read that as well then I looked at some other sources and saw things such as the following:

Quote:[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]"Blake Fisher is a technically advanced offensive tackle with vice grips for hands and an intriguing athletic profile to make an impact quickly at the next level."[/color]

Quote:[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]Overall, Fisher is a refined offensive tackle with the fundamental skill set to succeed quickly at the NFL level. A nuanced hand approach against a variety of pass-rush moves is evident. Strength in the run game remains a spot for improvement, but the refinement in both areas showcases a mature approach to the position that will only improve over time. He has experience in both gap (471 career snaps) and zone (307) schemes. All of his 710 collegiate snaps came at right tackle.[/color]

https://www.thedraftnetwork.com/2024/01/16/blake-fisher-scouting-report-nfl-draft-2024

Current Draft Projection and Summary
Given Fisher’s relative inexperience, it was a bit of a surprise to see him declare as a redshirt sophomore. However, the tools Fisher displayed will have scouts raving over his potential.
[Image: e0dd2acd3574679864cd76965aa5dce2.png]

ADVERTISEMENT

Fisher has all the tools to thrive in the NFL. His quickness and length with his 6’6″, 312-pound frame make him an imposing athlete at right tackle. Fisher is far from raw, with good, strong punches and comfort with different sets rarely found in two-year starters.
He also plays with phenomenal competitive toughness. His work in the run game is better compared to a bulldozer, driving defenders out of gaps with ease and tossing them out of the play.
Fisher still has things to iron out. Occasionally, he would overset against a speedier rusher and leave his inside open.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/blake-fisher-draft-scouting-2024/
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 07:59 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I read that as well then I looked at some other sources and saw things such as the following:

https://www.thedraftnetwork.com/2024/01/16/blake-fisher-scouting-report-nfl-draft-2024

Current Draft Projection and Summary
Given Fisher’s relative inexperience, it was a bit of a surprise to see him declare as a redshirt sophomore. However, the tools Fisher displayed will have scouts raving over his potential.
[Image: e0dd2acd3574679864cd76965aa5dce2.png]

ADVERTISEMENT

Fisher has all the tools to thrive in the NFL. His quickness and length with his 6’6″, 312-pound frame make him an imposing athlete at right tackle. Fisher is far from raw, with good, strong punches and comfort with different sets rarely found in two-year starters.
He also plays with phenomenal competitive toughness. His work in the run game is better compared to a bulldozer, driving defenders out of gaps with ease and tossing them out of the play.
Fisher still has things to iron out. Occasionally, he would overset against a speedier rusher and leave his inside open.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/blake-fisher-draft-scouting-2024/

Not to nitpick here, but where are the listings of his weaknesses from those sources?  No fair analysis just points out the positives, they always list the negatives.  That is why I usually wait until after the combine, when the NFL draft and scouting combine descriptions become available to start pushing "reviews" about a player.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Not sure I want anyone named Fisher at right tackle. History repeating…..?
Ninja
Reply/Quote
I want to know if the report from the draft advisory board is what got him to declare early. I’m leaning that way. Or else why not go back to school, move to LT and improve your draft stock.

I have a hard time believing he lasts until the 3rd or 4th round after watching him and knowing how needy teams in the NFL are for OL.

I’d love to make a best case scenario mock where we land Jerhzan Newton, Tvondre Sweat, then Fisher. 1 2 3. But that’s just too good to be true.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 08:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not to nitpick here, but where are the listings of his weaknesses from those sources?  No fair analysis just points out the positives, they always list the negatives.  That is why I usually wait until after the combine, when the NFL draft and scouting combine descriptions become available to start pushing "reviews" about a player.

They had weaknesses listed. I just did not select the whole report. I was mainly focusing on where they felt he could make an early impact at the NFL level.
Reply/Quote
In many of my mocks that i do every day, if i miss out on some of the "higher" rated RT's then i grab either Fisher or Amegadjie. They are both usually there in the 3rd so I don't consider it a huge drop off to grab either of them.
Reply/Quote
Blake Fisher has alot of talent and is a good zone run blocker but he is not a natural in pass protection. Hand timing is slow with a little bit of a wind up, he also rarely re-fits, and the angles in his kick slide are not consistent. He is also very young still 20 until next month so he is still getting over rhe Bambi phase and has all the room to grow. His ceiling is probably late day 2. A Great fit would be San Francisco with one of their late 3rds
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 10:26 PM)SouthernFan Wrote: Not sure I want anyone named Fisher at right tackle. History repeating…..?
Ninja

I had such high hopes for him. Hopefully that is the theory behind keeping Duke around so long. One would think the longer you do a job the better you get. He should have a little bit better of an idea what an OL draft pick bust in the making looks like now.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 07:42 PM)depthchart Wrote: It appears that he is a round 3 to 4 prospect from what I am seeing.

I wonder how he would do as an option to push Volson for playing time at Guard while also developing as a 

potential longer term RT option. 

Could he ultimately be better than Volson as a Guard ?

If thinking purely playing RT, the Bengals may need a more sure thing that can start sooner rather than later.

Would the Bengals take a player like Fisher to learn behind say a Veteran Free Agent RT for a while and 

how much better would Fisher end up being longer term versus say 2nd rounder Jackson Carman ?

Rounds 3-4 are what he is showing and I would agree with that. However, where would he have been slotted in previous drafts where the drafts were not nearly so stacked at the OT position? I believe he is easily a mid to high second round selection in many other drafts and I do not see him at the guard position at all. I believe he is a RT all the way and that is where he played his entire collegiate career at Notre Dame where he came in as a 5 star prospect.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2024, 12:09 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Rounds 3-4 are what he is showing and I would agree with that. However, where would he have been slotted in previous drafts where the drafts were not nearly so stacked at the OT position? I believe he is easily a mid to high second round selection in many other drafts and I do not see him at the guard position at all. I believe he is a RT all the way and that is where he played his entire collegiate career at Notre Dame where he came in as a 5 star prospect.

Having Fisher play at Guard for a while would not be a knock on him.

Many Tackles come in and spend time playing a Guard position to get used to the NFL game.

It can be viewed as a Versatility and maybe Fisher could be developed longer term to be a RT option but

while he is developing he may take over a Starting Guard role for a time as my quote below implies.

Quote:

"I wonder how he would do as an option to push Volson for playing time at Guard while also developing as a 

potential longer term RT option."
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2024, 01:33 AM)depthchart Wrote: Having Fisher play at Guard for a while would not be a knock on him.

Many Tackles come in and spend time playing a Guard position to get used to the NFL game.

It can be viewed as a Versatility and maybe Fisher could be developed longer term to be a RT option but

while he is developing he may take over a Starting Guard role for a time as my quote below implies.

Quote:

"I wonder how he would do as an option to push Volson for playing time at Guard while also developing as a 

Very true, i was thinking that Danny Glover (OT Georgia St) would be an excellent RG first candidate. He had a good showing in the Sr Bowl and showed he can handle the big boys.

Sorry, Travis Glover, not Danny lol
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2024, 01:33 AM)depthchart Wrote: Having Fisher play at Guard for a while would not be a knock on him.

Quote:

I completely understand what you were implying with your statement. However, I do not believe that Fisher needs to develop as a long term answer at RT.  He has not played guard even at the collegiate level. He has 25 starts at Notre Dame and everyone of them came at the RT position. He also has taken meaningful RT snaps in both gap and zone formations so he is well versed in that respect as well. 

I do not think you are considering the depth of this OT class as to why he is projecting to be drafted as late as he is being drafted. There is also the fact that he plays as refined as he does while only being a redshirt sophomore. I have to disagree that he should start inside at guard and I actually believe it would be counterproductive to his development.
Reply/Quote