Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blake Fisher RT
(02-18-2024, 09:14 AM)OSUfan Wrote: I completely understand what you were implying with your statement. However, I do not believe that Fisher needs to develop as a long term answer at RT.  He has not played guard even at the collegiate level. He has 25 starts at Notre Dame and everyone of them came at the RT position. He also has taken meaningful RT snaps in both gap and zone formations so he is well versed in that respect as well. 

I do not think you are considering the depth of this OT class as to why he is projecting to be drafted as late as he is being drafted. There is also the fact that he plays as refined as he does while only being a redshirt sophomore. I have to disagree that he should start inside at guard and I actually believe it would be counterproductive to his development.

He may not be able to start anywhere right away. He would have to beat out Volson to start at Guard or maybe Volson gets injured.

If they throw him in at RT then he will have to go up against TJ Watt & Myles Garrett twice per year plus other top Defensive Ends.

It is not uncommon for Tackles to get playing time at Guard as part of their development.

He may not even start at Guard but just get some playing time there due to injury or game circumstances etc.

None of this is a knock on Fisher.

If he is a refined, ready to start RT prospect then he will likely go higher than round 3 or 4 even with the deep Tackle class.

Teams need offensive linemen and Fisher may get Drafted higher then get into a starting lineup quickly or be more developmental.

A lot will depend on who the other right tackles & guards are on the Team he goes to and how healthy they stay as the season goes on..
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2024, 04:17 PM)depthchart Wrote: He may not be able to start anywhere right away. He would have to beat out Volson to start at Guard or maybe Volson gets injured.

If they throw him in at RT then he will have to go up against TJ Watt & Myles Garrett twice per year plus other top Defensive Ends.

It is not uncommon for Tackles to get playing time at Guard as part of their development.

He may not even start at Guard but just get some playing time there due to injury or game circumstances etc.

None of this is a knock on Fisher.

If he is a refined, ready to start RT prospect then he will likely go higher than round 3 or 4 even with the deep Tackle class.

Teams need offensive linemen and Fisher may get Drafted higher then get into a starting lineup quickly or be more developmental.

A lot will depend on who the other right tackles & guards are on the Team he goes to and how healthy they stay as the season goes on..

It is far more common for tackles to move inside after playing outside in college because they do not have the skillset to play on the edge in space at the NFL level. The skills for playing on the edge are not going to be developed while playing inside as the skillsets needed to do each is vastly different.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2024, 09:14 AM)OSUfan Wrote: I completely understand what you were implying with your statement. However, I do not believe that Fisher needs to develop as a long term answer at RT.  He has not played guard even at the collegiate level. He has 25 starts at Notre Dame and everyone of them came at the RT position. He also has taken meaningful RT snaps in both gap and zone formations so he is well versed in that respect as well. 

You have made two statements:   1. In Post #1 you said "I am trying to figure out why he is not in the talk for RT?"

2. Above you said "I do not believe that Fisher has to develop as a long term answer at RT"

The Steelers took Tackle Broderick Jones at #14 overall in 2023 and he made his first Start in Week 5.

How would you Plan for Blake Fisher if you were the Bengals and he was the actual RT solution ?

Examples:   Get a Free Agent that likely would Yield the Job to Fisher sometime during the 2024 season

Get a Free Agent that can hold the Job all thru 2024 (if healthy) then Fisher is RT in 2025

Plan to Start Blake Fisher at RT on day one, game one

Start either Jackson Carmen or D'Ante Smith week 1 & so on until they Yield to Fisher by say mid season

*It is Early in the Draft process (Pre-Combine) so Fisher could climb up in how Teams view him even in a Deep Class.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2024, 06:23 PM)depthchart Wrote: .

You have made two statements:   1. In Post #1 you said "I am trying to figure out why he is not in the talk for RT?"

2. Above you said "I do not believe that Fisher has to develop as a long term answer at RT"

The Steelers took Tackle Broderick Jones at #14 overall in 2023 and he made his first Start in Week 5.

How would you Plan for Blake Fisher if you were the Bengals and he was the actual RT solution ?

Examples:   Get a Free Agent that likely would Yield the Job to Fisher sometime during the 2024 season

Get a Free Agent that can hold the Job all thru 2024 (if healthy) then Fisher is RT in 2025

Plan to Start Blake Fisher at RT on day one, game one

Start either Jackson Carmen or D'Ante Smith week 1 & so on until they Yield to Fisher by say mid season

*It is Early in the Draft process (Pre-Combine) so Fisher could climb up in how Teams view him even in a Deep Class.

Thanks for pointing out my statements. Was there some sort of point in it? I know exactly what I said. Is there a point you were trying to make with drafting of B. Jones? Dawand Jones was drafted in the 4th round and he started in week 2. 

When I said that I did not feel he needed to develop to be the long term answer I felt it was a statement that was pretty clear. When I watch him on tape I feel like he is an extremely technically sound RT that could start on day 1. Obviously, I would hope that he would continue to develop as he played in the league but I do not see a glaring weakness in his game that would cause me panic if I needed him to start on week 1.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2024, 08:44 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Thanks for pointing out my statements. Was there some sort of point in it? I know exactly what I said. Is there a point you were trying to make with drafting of B. Jones? Dawand Jones was drafted in the 4th round and he started in week 2. 

When I said that I did not feel he needed to develop to be the long term answer I felt it was a statement that was pretty clear. When I watch him on tape I feel like he is an extremely technically sound RT that could start on day 1. Obviously, I would hope that he would continue to develop as he played in the league but I do not see a glaring weakness in his game that would cause me panic if I needed him to start on week 1.

RT problem solved...
Reply/Quote