Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Blame the run game
(11-29-2023, 03:03 PM)Synric Wrote: Its not the scheme or play calling we are talking about some very basic run plays that we see every game every week. The execution was bad very bad if it wasn't one of the OL it was a TE and the rare times it was blocked up to give Mixon 1 on 1 vs a Safety he loses which is his issue. Mixon is only getting what he is blocked for that's why his Yards Over Expected Percentage is near the bottom of the NFL.

That's a serious issue when Mixon is still one of the top paid players at his position even after taking a pay cut this off-Season.  Also factor in that he's 8th lowest % of carries against 8+ in the box and it's pretty damning.  

If you're going to have an effective rush offense in the NFL, you need a RB that can get extra yards out of one on one's either by making them miss or getting yards after contact.  Well, you can also get a running QB, but that isn't happening here.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2023, 02:34 PM)3wt Wrote: But I think that's largely because our offensive line is just not good enough (or is being used the wrong way) in Mixon's case and because Perine is a fullback - and a good one (though I don't really know what his run blocking is like).  But in terms of blitz pickups, receiving and running he's a good fullback.  I miss him.  But he is just not going to be an explosive back.

When Joe gets a hole he's really good.   Too easily tripped up, but that may be a function of his size.   But he can gobble real estate and pound tacklers when he gets into the secondary.

I think the problem is our scheme, our offensive line and the play calling.   The guy that talks film review on Locked on Bengals ("Bengals Sans") is so frustrated that we use blocking schemes we know our line can't execute.  He is also upset that they both stop running when it's working for them and when they have a couple of bad running plays.  I would add their timing and executing of runs and screens is typically poor - including Joe.  Watching other QBs throw screens they throw with zip and they throw the receiver open.   Maybe Joe doesn't because he's afraid they are NOT open, but either way it looks really bad.
And Bengal Sans is correct. With our big powerful line we keep insisting on wide zone concepts or running right and pulling Volson instead of running power and running left so that Brown and Volson are blocking downhill and pull Cappa who is good at that. The few times they have done it they looked good and on a couple of them it was only Mixon going down to first contact (one handed no less) that prevented him from a TD. 
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2023, 03:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, the OL and TE's need to put it all together and be on the same page and we need a RB that can actually make Defenders
miss and break tackles. This is the biggest problem right now in the run game. It isn't like all these vets forgot how to block.

They need to get back to the basics, I blame this on Pollack. It shows in Volson's lack of development and how he looks lost at
times in just knocking over his own guys instead of the Defender lol

This is why I think they need to simplify the run game down to about 4-5 core plays, and practice them until the blocking is engrained in their heads. And from those 4-5 plays they can run some variant formations so to speak to disguise them up, but in regards to the 5 linemen, tight end, and the rb, the play is basically the same so they can be on the same page.

From these plays they can also run play-action at times, maybe a bit of rpo as well. Regardless, they need to set aside their pride and look at how others have turned the run game around. My suggestion goes back to some old school coaches that didn't try to invent the wheel, but wanted to make it better.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2023, 01:34 PM)Millhouse Wrote: This is why I think they need to simplify the run game down to about 4-5 core plays, and practice them until the blocking is engrained in their heads. And from those 4-5 plays they can run some variant formations so to speak to disguise them up, but in regards to the 5 linemen, tight end, and the rb, the play is basically the same so they can be on the same page.

From these plays they can also run play-action at times, maybe a bit of rpo as well. Regardless, they need to set aside their pride and look at how others have turned the run game around. My suggestion goes back to some old school coaches that didn't try to invent the wheel, but wanted to make it better.

Might be the way to go to get the OL, TE's and RB's on the same page. The best running games mesh well with all these players.

We clearly haven't had this during this season and you have to put the blame somewhere. Pollack is our OL coach and run game 
Coordinator. We need to bring in someone who gets us back to the basics like you say and we can work up. These are veterans 
besides Volson, they know how to play and play well at the NFL level. Just need a coach to help them get back to what they know
and read each other's minds.
Reply/Quote