Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bleacher Report Scouts Say we have a bottom 5 OT and Center
(12-21-2017, 12:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Walter Football (the draft site I've used for years) had this to say on their live mock yesterday:

I know people are thinking "yeah we know", but there are a small handful of people on this board that think our tackles are ok or "getting better" and the line as a whole isn't the reason we're losing. Those people apparently need a dose of reality.

Huh ???

If we get a "real QB" everything will be fine, you don't know nothing.

Ninja Hilarious Ninja LMAO Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 12:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Walter Football (the draft site I've used for years) had this to say on their live mock yesterday:

I know people are thinking "yeah we know", but there are a small handful of people on this board that think our tackles are ok or "getting better" and the line as a whole isn't the reason we're losing. Those people apparently need a dose of reality.

I watched the Miss. St. game against Alabama and I was very impressed with Rankin. 
This off season is going to be an interesting one, understatement I know, with a lot of needs on this team!
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 12:26 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Our offensive line is a gigantic hot mess !

If I counted correctly we currently have 12 players on our roster listed as O-linemen including P.S. and injured.

Out of that group we have one decent starter (Boling). Of the other 11 we have maybe two or three 2nd stringers. Whoever the HC is next season is going to have to find 4 starters and a couple backups in one off season, tall order !

It's just downright amazing this team put itself in this position. This is probably right next to the Akili Smith fubar in Mikey's biggest mess ups !

The Akili Smith disaster is only equal to the disaster that is our 2017 o line only because Mike turned down the Saints entire draft to draft Akili.

Smith was a horrible QB but I think most will agree that he was better at QB that Bodine is at center or Og is at tackle.
Reply/Quote
Oh- by the way- we will draft the guard with the ninth pick and then not re-sign him to his second contract because guards aren't worth the market rate.
Reply/Quote

Oddly enough, I could see Mike selecting another WR or DE.  Just to show that he'll do what he wants to..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 12:33 PM)Wyche Wrote: Quarterback's fault.....don't you pay attention? Mellow

Lol judging by all the threads lately, QB really is the "real" problem. 

Sad that some fans don't learn even when we're repeating history.

(12-21-2017, 12:41 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Huh ???

If we get a "real QB" everything will be fine, you don't know nothing.

Ninja Hilarious Ninja LMAO Ninja

Lol fixing the line is as simple as drafting an elite QB who will just run away from the sacks. Easy peasy.

(12-21-2017, 12:42 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I watched the Miss. St. game against Alabama and I was very impressed with Rankin. 
This off season is going to be an interesting one, understatement I know, with a lot of needs on this team!

LOT of needs. But the right HC could make this team look a lot better.

(12-21-2017, 12:49 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Oh- by the way- we will draft the guard with the ninth pick and then not re-sign him to his second contract because guards aren't worth the market rate.

Sad but true. That said, I'll take the 5 years and possible 6th (franchise tag) over nothing at all. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 12:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Oddly enough, I could see Mike selecting another WR or DE.  Just to show that he'll do what he wants to..

Well the man truly is clueless, so it wouldn't surprise me much. We're talking about a guy that still judges line success on 1000 yard rushers.

Then again, we haven't had a 1000 yard rusher since 2014, so maybe it'll click for him. Then again x2, maybe not. It is Mike Brown.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
[Image: oline.jpg]
Reply/Quote
The O line is garbage you say?

Get rid of Andy Dalton! Ninja
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 11:18 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I know it's weird considering anything from Bleacher Report to be legitimate, especially in terms of evaluation of talent, but hey, it's something to read.

They ranked Ogbuehi as the 3rd worst OT in the NFL and Russell Bodine as the worst center in the NFL.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2750038-nfl1000-the-5-worst-players-at-every-position#ampshare=http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2750038-nfl1000-the-5-worst-players-at-every-position

THANK YOU PAUL ALEXANDER.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 12:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Oddly enough, I could see Mike selecting another WR or DE.  Just to show that he'll do what he wants to..

I'm guessing TE.
Reply/Quote
[Image: paul-alexander-nfl-preseason-cincinnati-...inals1.jpg]

Anyone ever notice this cat's mouth is hardly ever closed?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I hate the love Boling gets his play has been putrid most of the season as well.
Reply/Quote

i ain't content with the tackles or Bodine, however, I EXPECT we can salvage SOMEONE. We WILL, for sure have a lot of NEW COACHES.
That MIGHT make quite a difference. we MIGHT see guys shift positions. Can't afford to give up before knowing what's REALLY going on.
That said... the clock is ticking (loudly)
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 11:18 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I know it's weird considering anything from Bleacher Report to be legitimate, especially in terms of evaluation of talent, but hey, it's something to read.

They ranked Ogbuehi as the 3rd worst OT in the NFL and Russell Bodine as the worst center in the NFL.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2750038-nfl1000-the-5-worst-players-at-every-position#ampshare=http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2750038-nfl1000-the-5-worst-players-at-every-position

I actually put a lot more stock in Bleacher Report than PFF honestly and this shows why.

Completely accurate on both accounts. Bodine in particular shows how terrible our O-line coach is and why he needs to go.

Bodine HAS the strength, just has terrible techinique.

But a player like Og who just gives up is pretty much unteachable. But PA should of known this by now.

Get a new O-line coach, grab Norwell G in FA, draft Connor Williams OT in the first and trade up for Billy Price.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 02:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I actually put a lot more stock in Bleacher Report than PFF honestly and this shows why.

Completely accurate on both accounts. Bodine in particular shows how terrible our O-line coach is and why he needs to go.

But a player like Og who just gives up is pretty much unteachable. But PA should of known this by now.

Get a new O-line coach, grab Norwell G in FA, draft Connor Williams OT in the first and trade up for Billy Price.

That seems like a pretty good plan.  Though, isn't Williams another injury guy?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 02:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I actually put a lot more stock in Bleacher Report than PFF honestly and this shows why.

We've drafted a lot of really strong guys that haven't had that strength translate to the playing field it seems.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 02:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We've drafted a lot of really strong guys that haven't had that strength translate to the playing field it seems.

That is because preparing to perform at the combine is a bit like perfecting your favorite party trick.  I once knew a guy that bench pressed 225 for 25 reps, it was his thing.  However, that same guy got buried under 315, and we had to pull it off of him.

I feel the same way about some of the 40 and shuttle times.  Anyone can train like a track athlete for 3 months and boost their speed, agility numbers.  The real measure is playing speed, and playing strength.  You can't get an accurate measure of playing speed and strength at the underwear Olympics.  To determine that, you have to watch the film.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 02:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That seems like a pretty good plan.  Though, isn't Williams another injury guy?

Yeah, the Combine will tell on Conner, really talented mauler in the run game though. With a new O-line coach
he might be able to coach the guy up. McGlinchey i also really like in the first but has problems with speed rushers.

(12-22-2017, 02:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We've drafted a lot of really strong guys that haven't had that strength translate to the playing field it seems.

For sure, i blame PA. Doesn't teach technique well and passive Zone Blocking does not help these guys out.

(12-22-2017, 03:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That is because preparing to perform at the combine is a bit like perfecting your favorite party trick.  I once knew a guy that bench pressed 225 for 25 reps, it was his thing.  However, that same guy got buried under 315, and we had to pull it off of him.

I feel the same way about some of the 40 and shuttle times.  Anyone can train like a track athlete for 3 months and boost their speed, agility numbers.  The real measure is playing speed, and playing strength.  You can't get an accurate measure of playing speed and strength at the underwear Olympics.  To determine that, you have to watch the film.

Yep, have to watch the film on these guys to know what you really have. Can only put so much stock in the Combine.

But Conner Williams is extremely talented and the Combine like i said will tell with him. If he isn't at the Combine he is 
off my radar in the first. I would take McGlinchey over him if we go OT. Without question Quentin Nelson if we go Guard.
Reply/Quote
we have the worst center and bottom 5 tackles and yet Bleacher Report also says the one player we must replace for next season is....

VONTIZE BURFICT

Burfict is a damn good football player. He's also a major distraction.

How the Cincinnati Bengals handle him moving forward will depend on whoever they hire as their new head coach.

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, current head coach Marvin Lewis plans to step down after the season. Lewis, who has spent 15 seasons with the organization, will leave a major void in Cincinnati's locker room once he departs, as he created a culture that allowed players such as Burfict and Adam Jones to thrive.

A new coach may not be as lenient on Burfict.

Cincinnati signed the 27-year-old linebacker to a three-year, $32.534 million extension this past offseason. However, the Bengals can save $6.91 million in cap space by releasing the oft-maligned defender. By doing so, the incoming head coach would send a strong message to everyone else on the roster.  

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote