Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blitz packages
The bengals pass defense doesn't get help from blitz calls..when we should be attacking offenses we try being cute playing some type of coverage no else on the planet uses (Philly game end of half)..

The ravens tore indy apart with blitzes knowing rivers had zero mobility;what did we do? Rush 4 when it was apparent we couldn't get home and let rivers look like the second coming of dan Marino..

I have zero faith in anarumo at this point he's lost his edge he has no aggression he rarely sends run blitzes or extra men at all..I love to play on our toes sometimes,dictate to the offense;and trust me I understand that taking more risks means being susceptible to giving up the big play but it seems to me we're giving the big play up anyway..

I know we need a new dc in the offseason but for the rest of this season if he's going to change anyone's mind please man we would like to see a little more aggression mixed into the defensive gameplan..
Reply/Quote
This is a total backhanded compliment, but considering how pathetic our pass rush has been it is surprising that we have a decent pass defense.

Only 4 teams have fewer sacks than us and only one team has fewer QB hits, yet our pass defense is 7th in completion percentage allowed and 13th in pass efficiency defense.  We have only allowed two pass plays of 40+ yards and only one team has fewer.

Not near good enough, but it makes me think that if we could get more pressure on the QB we would probably have a good pass defense.  But if we hve to start blitzing like crazy our coverage will suffer.  Right now we are dead middle of the pack (17th) in blitz percentage.
Reply/Quote
Fred I agree everything you just posted and trust me I'm not saying go blitz crazy but games like that indy game we could've employed it more..we need to mix it up more if we're 17th in blitz percentage we should aim to get down to the 12th range..
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2020, 05:24 PM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: The bengals pass defense doesn't get help from blitz calls..when we should be attacking offenses we try being cute playing some type of coverage no else on the planet uses (Philly game end of half)..

The ravens tore indy apart with blitzes knowing rivers had zero mobility;what did we do? Rush 4 when it was apparent we couldn't get home and let rivers look like the second coming of dan Marino..

I have zero faith in anarumo at this point he's lost his edge he has no aggression he rarely sends run blitzes or extra men at all..I love to play on our toes sometimes,dictate to the offense;and trust me I understand that taking more risks means being susceptible to giving up the big play but it seems to me we're giving the big play up anyway..

I know we need a new dc in the offseason but for the rest of this season if he's going to change anyone's mind please man we would like to see a little more aggression mixed into the defensive gameplan..

Yes, completely agree and well said. Send Linebackers and and the Secondary after the Pig all day. If he beats us? So what.

I don't like getting ran on and not playing aggressive, shouldn't be our style. Need Wade Phillips or Zim in the Offseason.

Mixing it up is the point and just playing more aggressive.

Our Secondary is getting it done, confuse the QB after you slow the run down.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2020, 06:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is a total backhanded compliment, but considering how pathetic our pass rush has been it is surprising that we have a decent pass defense.

Only 4 teams have fewer sacks than us and only one team has fewer QB hits, yet our pass defense is 7th in completion percentage allowed and 13th in pass efficiency defense.  We have only allowed two pass plays of 40+ yards and only one team has fewer.

Not near good enough, but it makes me think that if we could get more pressure on the QB we would probably have a good pass defense.  But if we hve to start blitzing like crazy our coverage will suffer.  Right now we are dead middle of the pack (17th) in blitz percentage.

To the bolded:
It's especially sad given Carl Lawson is tied for 6th most QB hits in the league (13).
That just shows you how bad the rest of the defense has been that they are second to last as a team even though they have a guy who is tied for 6th in the league at the individual level.

Also, TJ Watt has 24 QB hits already. Holy moly.
And PIT has 3 players (Watt, Tuitt, Dupree) with 6+ sacks each.
PIT also has 4 players (same 3 as above plus Heyward) with double-digit QB hits.
Shocked
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2020, 08:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: To the bolded:
It's especially sad given Carl Lawson is tied for 6th most QB hits in the league (13).
That just shows you how bad the rest of the defense has been that they are second to last as a team even though they have a guy who is tied for 6th in the league at the individual level.

Also, TJ Watt has 24 QB hits already. Holy moly.
And PIT has 3 players (Watt, Tuitt, Dupree) with 6+ sacks each.
PIT also has 4 players (same 3 as above plus Heyward) with double-digit QB hits.
Shocked

Damn, really hope Jonah, Spain and XSF all play most of the time then or Burrow will be in trouble.
Reply/Quote
Defense is just bad. When you can’t pressure with four you have to blitz, otherwise we get shredded like we’ve seen all year. It’s honestly amazing that we’re not as bad as Seattle given how bad our pass rush is. Our secondary has gotten no help at all this year and have been doing work. Hopefully Taak can bring something to our front four but they probably have to spend the first rounder next year on a rusher.
Reply/Quote
Hey,as far as this defense is concerned,it’s not rocket science,how bout just some good tackling for a change.Just lower those shoulder pads and put his butt on the ground.Stop the soft arm tackling.Simple as that.Some of those missed tackles in that last game against the Titans almost made me want to puke.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2020, 06:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is a total backhanded compliment, but considering how pathetic our pass rush has been it is surprising that we have a decent pass defense.

This is eye opening Fred. Maybe the DBs weren't as bad as I initially thought this year. I'm ready to see what Tre Wayne's has already this year.. 
Reply/Quote
Blitzing more doesn't automatically create more pressure. Bringing 5 rushers is designed to create more 1 on 1 matchups but since Cincy's defensive line aren't winning those matchups it creates more space in the secondary for opposing QBs to attack.

They can bring 6 more often but that can be very bad and leave big play options for opposing offenses. Right now creating pressure with the front 4 is key hopefully Takk McKinley can help in that area.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2020, 09:58 PM)Synric Wrote: Blitzing more doesn't automatically create more pressure. Bringing 5 rushers is designed to create more 1 on 1 matchups but since Cincy's defensive line aren't winning those matchups it creates more space in the secondary for opposing QBs to attack.

They can bring 6 more often but that can be very bad and leave big play options for opposing offenses. Right now creating pressure with the front 4 is key hopefully Takk McKinley can help in that area.
Sometimes that's how the game is played it's called taking chances and when you do you live with the results..bringing pressure is no guarantee to stop an offense, but I've seen Qbs miss wide open targets just because they knew they had to rush to get the ball off;I'll take a few of those as opposed to just letting them be comfortable back there..
Reply/Quote
It's easy to point fingers at the lack of rush from the edges, but do not forget how many DTs that the team has had to sign off the street or poach off of other teams practice squads, just to field a team of able bodies..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2020, 10:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's easy to point fingers at the lack of rush from the edges, but do not forget how many DTs that the team has had to sign off the street or poach off of other teams practice squads, just to field a team of able bodies..

I'm starting to believe that alot of it on both lines was a work in progress with no pre season and they finally got it going in the right direction...
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2020, 11:11 PM)Tony Wrote: I'm starting to believe that alot of it on both lines was a work in progress with no pre season and they finally got it going in the right direction...

All could very well be true good analysis..
Reply/Quote