Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blocking
I know the 'sexy' stats are what people love to look at, but I feel that blocking by players other than the OL (obviously) is probably the most important evaluation that a coach can have of a player.

I've watch a lot of football. One or two key blocks on any given play can make the difference between a 50 yard gain and a 1 yard stuff.

So on cut down day, the fans have to realize that these bubble guys are much more evaluated on their overall game -- of which blocking is a key part -- than the 2 yard reception. That fourth or fifth WR often doesn't get thrown at much -- he's blocking.

I think when we watch these games, keep an eye on the guys that block downfield. Those are the ones that put the W up. The guy holding the ball in the end zone is celebrating 'his' TD, but without the key block he wouldn't be.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
Amen brother.

WR downfield blocking is just as important to breaking long runs as RB talent (maybe more).
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 03:37 PM)EatonFan Wrote: I know the 'sexy' stats are what people love to look at, but I feel that blocking by players other than the OL (obviously) is probably the most important evaluation that a coach can have of a player.  

I've watch a lot of football.  One or two key blocks on any given play can make the difference between a 50 yard gain and a 1 yard stuff.

So on cut down day, the fans have to realize that these bubble guys are much more evaluated on their overall game -- of which blocking is a key part -- than the 2 yard reception.  That fourth or fifth WR often doesn't get thrown at much -- he's blocking.

I think when we watch these games, keep an eye on the guys that block downfield.  Those are the ones that put the W up.  The guy holding the ball in the end zone is celebrating 'his' TD, but without the key block he wouldn't be.

Have a feeling that is why players like Wilcox and Irwin made it over Moss and Trent Taylor.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 05:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Have a feeling that is why players like Wilcox and Irwin made it over Moss and Trent Taylor.

Really like Irwin.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 05:53 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Really like Irwin.

Same.

Dude is tough with good hands, might of found a special one here. Cool
Reply/Quote