Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blocking Scheme?
I keep looking at these centers and guards and am trying to figure out who fits best with this team. In years past, there's no question in my mind that guys like Ragnow and Hernandez would be the best fits for our style of offensive line play.

My question is this: are we still using the same scheme? Are we switching to a zone blocking scheme? If that's the case, it drastically changes my opinion on who should be taken - especially at C.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2018, 01:55 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I keep looking at these centers and guards and am trying to figure out who fits best with this team.  In years past, there's no question in my mind that guys like Ragnow and Hernandez would be the best fits for our style of offensive line play.

My question is this:  are we still using the same scheme?  Are we switching to a zone blocking scheme?  If that's the case, it drastically changes my opinion on who should be taken - especially at C.

Great question and thread Hammerstripes. :andy:

From what i have been reading of Lazor and Pollack we are going to be running a hybrid scheme of some sort
with Directional Zone Blocking at times and Man with pulling, to run a Run Pass Option West Coast Offense.

So bottomline, we need a smart Center which means i want one of the top 3 and of those who have we brought
in to Cincy? Frank Ragnow. I think he is our guy, but Price and Daniels are also very smart but Price will take
some time with the injury and from all we see from Mocks Daniels will be the first off the board.

I am questioning this more and more with both us and the Panthers bringing Ragnow in. We should take Frank
at 21 and give him to Frank as McC said in the Ragnow visiting thread.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2018, 01:55 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I keep looking at these centers and guards and am trying to figure out who fits best with this team.  In years past, there's no question in my mind that guys like Ragnow and Hernandez would be the best fits for our style of offensive line play.

My question is this:  are we still using the same scheme?  Are we switching to a zone blocking scheme?  If that's the case, it drastically changes my opinion on who should be taken - especially at C.

I'm not an O-line expert by any means, but I think Pollack said he was going to install an aggressive zone scheme. I believe PA ran a more let the defender come to you zone.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2018, 03:48 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I'm not an O-line expert by any means, but I think Pollack said he was going to install an aggressive zone scheme. I believe PA ran a more let the defender come to you zone.

Sure did, passing zone blocking scheme is what PA was running last year. No other team looked that passive.

It was pathetic.
Reply/Quote
I think ultimately what a lot of it comes down to is that our interior O-line did not get to the 2nd level very well under Alexander. Whether skill or scheme or both, there was always someone coming in from the defensive midfield to disrupt our RB at/behind the LOS.

Edit: And when they did schematically get to the second level, our lineman were too poor to handle the short 1v1 vs the Dline that is required until the RB can break the LOS.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote