Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blocking for the OTHER Joe
In online sports blogs and especially on YouTube I see lots of articles about the Bengals’ potential for having a potent offense in 2021 and most of the commentary is positive. That’s good. However, all the talk is about Tee Higgins and Ja’Marr Chase. That’s bad.

Unless Zac Taylor plans to have Joe Burrow throw the ball at least fifty times per game which is an abominably horrible idea, the newly designed offensive line is going to have to perform their run blocking duties far better. A potent offense, after all, is a balanced offense. If the Bengals can’t gash a defense on the ground then going to the air all the time will make the offense one dimensional and therefore predictable.

It has been many years since Cincinnati has had a run game which moves the chains, controls the clock, and punches it in successfully on the goal line. All the best playoff teams in history have this!

Like the commentators on the blogs, I want to see a breakout year from Joe Burrow, Tee Higgins, and Ja’Marr Chase but don’t forget the “other” Joe: Joe Mixon.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The other Joe seems like he either spends too much time deciding where he wants to go, or just runs directly into his blockers.

Was always on the "don't pay RBs unless they're Barry Sanders" team, but it made even less sense to not only pay a RB, but then not pay a OL.

(Maybe just play Jacksonville more often?)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Throwing the ball 50 times is our scheme though. Didn’t you watch the team last year?

That’s why the bengals drafted WR first instead of OT
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2021, 09:04 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The other Joe seems like he either spends too much time deciding where he wants to go, or just runs directly into his blockers.

Was always on the "don't pay RBs unless they're Barry Sanders" team, but it made even less sense to not only pay a RB, but then not pay a OL.

(Maybe just play Jacksonville more often?)

Yep... Maybe after x amount of years of being a blah NFL RB, we can start to realize that maybe Joe Mixon isn't who we thought he was coming outta Oklahoma. He led the AFC in yardage one year. That was the year of injuries, holdouts, and suspensions for a lot of the top backs in the conference.... But he did beat out undrafted Phillip Lindsay... Barely.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2021, 10:22 PM)jason Wrote: Yep... Maybe after x amount of years of being a blah NFL RB, we can start to realize that maybe Joe Mixon isn't who we thought he was coming outta Oklahoma. He led the AFC in yardage one year. That was the year of injuries, holdouts, and suspensions for a lot of the top backs in the conference.... But he did beat out undrafted Phillip Lindsay... Barely.

Mixon should be on the hotseat this year, too.  The guy threatened to hold out, then got a big contract and followed it up with 3.6 YPC and 10 games missed.  I don't think the guy is hopeless, but meh...he's got to perform this year or he's likely to get mighty unpopular.  Plus, we have Burrow and Chase so why should we fear throwing the ball a lot?  Let 'er rip.
Reply/Quote
Agree that the Bengals must run the ball much better to reach potential. .

Do agree with others that Mixon should be on hot seat. Just not sure he can shoulder all the blame with the incompetent O-lines he has run behind and I still believe in him for the moment.

But a RB's shelf life is not that long and his window is closing soon anyway . Agree with Leap as well that unless they're Barry Sanders or Walter Payton there is no need to pay them big money.

In fact believe the best recipe for success is to use RB'a on their rookie deal and maybe one extension if price is right and use the money elsewhere. By elsewhere I mean "the trenches".

Understand all the excitement from the pundits about Burrow throwing to Chase and Higgins too.

Yet don't get why Boyd is being an afterthought from them. Know he is a slot receiver, but a damn good one and will be a big part of the their potency in my opinion.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Joe Mixon is a pretty good RB.Although he’s had his share of minor injuries.I’d be surprised if he stays healthy all season.But I’m not really too concerned,as we have Perine ready to take his place.I think he’s as good as Mixon.Joe unfortunately has been playing behind a pretty terrible OL.But that should improve this year.
Reply/Quote
Sometimes a RB is only as good as the blocking scheme
And the talent in front of him.
Lets not forget the Bengals were one of the worst
Deep ball throwing teams in the league last year

That allows a saftey to perhaps play closer to the
LOS. And all of a sudden he comes flying down unblocked
Affecting the run

Too many times last year I.saw our olinemen unable
To get to the 2nd level and not getting pads on a LB
Or simplying walling him off.
Mixon would be met in the hole.

This oline was absolute garbage last year.
Nobody was consistently playing well in
Any phase of that inside zone scheme
For that to work.you need 5 smart linemen
Jordan Redmond Hart.were never smart
Linemen to begin with.

Mixon numbers will get better with a improved
Vertical offense and higher IQ linemen
Reply/Quote
I hope we throw the ball 60 times a game.. This isn't 2000 anymore... Everyone is throwing the ball all over the yard now.. Our offense is geared toward the pass. You don't draft Joe Burrow to pound the rock all game... That's stupid...
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2021, 02:17 PM)Tony Wrote: I hope we throw the ball 60 times a game.. This isn't 2000 anymore... Everyone is throwing the ball all over the yard now.. Our offense is geared toward the pass. You don't draft Joe Burrow to pound the rock all game... That's stupid...

While that is a true statement, it also seems like teams that are competing for the big one are also able to run the ball, as well as stop the run.

Case in point, Kansas City.  Their OL let them down, due to a pair of key OL injuries.  What did they do about it?  They proceeded to release two premium talent Tackles, and then went on to completely overhaul their OL with younger, better talent.  Everyone notices the flash of Pat Mahomes in the passing game, but fails to remember that Andy Reid also likes to pound the ball.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2021, 02:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: While that is a true statement, it also seems like teams that are competing for the big one are also able to run the ball, as well as stop the run.

Case in point, Kansas City.  Their OL let them down, due to a pair of key OL injuries.  What did they do about it?  They proceeded to release two premium talent Tackles, and then went on to completely overhaul their OL with younger, better talent.  Everyone notices the flash of Pat Mahomes in the passing game, but fails to remember that Andy Reid also likes to pound the ball.

Tony’s just baiting. He doesn’t really mean that
Reply/Quote
I sure hope we have the ability to run the ball much better this season. Especially earlier in the season, not rely on JB to carry the team right from the jump. And a good running game always helps late in the season as the weather turns cold.
Reply/Quote
The throwing will open up the running game. Joey B and the top WR trio in the league means this is a pass first team.
Reply/Quote
I wanted Dalvin Cook. Ninja

Anyway...anyone else realize this is Mixon's 5th year in the league?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2021, 02:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Everyone notices the flash of Pat Mahomes in the passing game, but fails to remember that Andy Reid also likes to pound the ball.

Does he?

Chiefs Rushing Attempts
2020: 23rd (Bucs were 29th)
2019: 27th
2018: 23rd
2017: 23rd
2016: 15th
2015: 13th
2014: 16th
2013: 15th

Zero top-10 rushing attempt seasons, been 23rd+ the last 4 years.

Reply/Quote
(07-04-2021, 02:37 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Tony’s just baiting. He doesn’t really mean that

I do.. I think that's our best chance to be great.. 15-20 runs a game.. I think our intermediate passing game is gonna be lethal this year so the run won't mean as much.. Hard to pound the rock in the AFCN...
I also want to see Burrow unleashed and take is to the promise land like I think he can...
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2021, 11:05 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Does he?

Chiefs Rushing Attempts

Thank you, I was thinking the same thing ?.. And Reid has never been a pound the rock guy. He's always been accused of passing way to much...
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2021, 08:07 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I wanted Dalvin Cook. Ninja

Anyway...anyone else realize this is Mixon's 5th year in the league?

Same here... He's way more versatile.. I watched alot of FSU games his SR. Year. Thought he was the best back in the draft that year...
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2021, 12:34 AM)Tony Wrote: Thank you, I was thinking the same thing ?.. And Reid has never been a pound the rock guy. He's always been accused of passing way to much...

Yup. Here's the Chiefs rushing attempts before Reid arrived.

2012: 5th
2011: 5th
2010: 1st

What were the Eagles attempts those years with Reid?

2012: 19th
2011: 12th
2010: 17th

Reply/Quote
(07-04-2021, 11:05 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Does he?

Chiefs Rushing Attempts

Isnt the difference between the Chiefs at 23rd and like the 17th in 2020 8 to 10 attempts? Andy Reid is usually right there around the middle of the league. 

What's important is he has a consistent successful rushing offense he can count on in 3rd and short and Red Zone situations.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote